• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Resources to Learn How to Grade?

51 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what the best resources are for someone learning to grade? I have yet to see a clear, visual reference that helps someone just starting out. I've done the usual google searches. I'm thinking about buying the over street grading guide, but it's from 2006. Thoughts, ideas, links, books or directions to wise old sages living in mountain villages would be appreciated.

I'm wondering what the best resources are for someone learning to grade? I have yet to see a clear, visual reference that helps someone just starting out. I've done the usual google searches. I'm thinking about buying the over street grading guide, but it's from 2006. Thoughts, ideas, links, books or directions to wise old sages living in mountain villages would be appreciated.
Buy lots of books from folks that know how to grade (thumbs u

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Two suggestions:

1. The Overstreet Grading Guide. Great defined guidelines on breaking down the different grades and their thresholds; however, some of photos they use as representative of the grades are suspect. Only use the photos for visual examples of defects, and you can't go wrong.

2. These boards--particular, the Grading and Restoration subform as well as the Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade subforum. Great discussions on defects, their ability to affect grades, and then examples of grades.

E-BIGS (free version): Examples-Based Internet Grading System

WTTB. :hi:

If you attend a lot of shows, examine CGC books in various grades. CGC is not carved-in-stone infallible, but by looking at books repeatedly, you'll get a feel for how defects correlate with grades. Experience is the best teacher.

Buy 10,000 books. Grade them all in lots of 100. Then go back and have somebody else do it, and compare where you are. The only way to learn to grade is to grade a lot of books.

Thanks Mac Man. Should I get the 2003 or 2006 edition. Many people are saying the 2006 version isn't good. I'll post a few books on the grading thread and soak in the knowledge.

Yes, go with the 2nd edition (2002)...I have a special attachment to that one. :cloud9:

2. These boards--particular, the Grading and Restoration subform as well as the Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade subforum. Great discussions on defects, their ability to affect grades, and then examples of grades.

This is probably THE best way to learn grading. (thumbs u

Also buy books graded by CGC in different grades,that will help you to determine what to look for in raw books.The only true way is experience. :preach:

I would go with the early edition for one particular reason: Page Quality Card. The older edition is supposed to have a little card that shows you what White, Off-White (OW), Cream, Tan, Brown, and Brittle pages actually look like.

Personally, I really don't care about Page Quality (PQ) unless it's tan, brown, or brittle; however, some people are VERY into this particular characteristics especially slab collectors. I'm finding even raw copies are seeing price differences between one another in the same grade but with different PQ ratings. So, this would valuable to know, if not for your own interests, but as others are increasingly finding this important to know (if you plan to sell).

E-BIGS (free version): Examples-Based Internet Grading System

I like that!

That system is pretty sharp.

(thumbs u