• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Resources to Learn How to Grade?

51 posts in this topic

And for Pete's sake, DON'T get your panties in a wad if one person grades a book a 9.0 and someone else grades it an 8.0. Do NOT run around like this:

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

....like it's the end of the world, and one of them doesn't know how to grade. It's a HALF GRADE DIFFERENCE. That's NOTHING.

That the stupid, idiotic MARKET thinks there should be hundreds or even thousands of dollars' difference is the stupid, idiotic MARKET'S fault...NOT your graders', be it CGC, or FD, or whomever.

The only thing a grader has to do is be able to JUSTIFY his/her grade to the satisfaction of other competent graders.

I'm wondering what the best resources are for someone learning to grade? I have yet to see a clear, visual reference that helps someone just starting out. I've done the usual google searches. I'm thinking about buying the over street grading guide, but it's from 2006. Thoughts, ideas, links, books or directions to wise old sages living in mountain villages would be appreciated.
Buy lots of books from folks that know how to grade (thumbs u

A lot of wisdom in this.

By the way, the OWL card -- way too dark -- really not useful at all. (tsk)

OWLCard1992.jpg

I'm wondering what the best resources are for someone learning to grade? I have yet to see a clear, visual reference that helps someone just starting out. I've done the usual google searches. I'm thinking about buying the over street grading guide, but it's from 2006. Thoughts, ideas, links, books or directions to wise old sages living in mountain villages would be appreciated.

A lot of wisdom in this.

OWLCard1992.jpg

Like the OS, it's a point to start from. Personally, I think they overgrade the colors by a full step. White needs to look nearly photocopy paper white for me; their White designation looks more like OW to me whereas their off-white looks more like Creamy to me. But, like I said, it gives you a vocabularly to begin with, and as you learn how to grade, you refine that vocab.

A lot of wisdom in this.

OWLCard1992.jpg

It's funny, but I think that Owl Card is OW...

Atleast the whites are OW.

:insane:

The OWL card IS nearly 20 years old, mind you, and in my opinion, age has rendered it (mostly) useless...

You never know, though, you might find a "still sealed" card, and then compare it to see how white your old, used OWL card is...

lol

Thanks Mac Man. Should I get the 2003 or 2006 edition. Many people are saying the 2006 version isn't good. I'll post a few books on the grading thread and soak in the knowledge.

Yes, go with the 2nd edition (2002)...I have a special attachment to that one. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

Best one of the three!

oh.........and never use the owl card.