• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Origins, Debuts and Guest Appearances

83 posts in this topic

2234725848_fe983775aa.jpg

Felix was looking good on the cover of his first issue. I seem to remember very strange cartoons featuring this character. He often seemed a faded version of Krazy Kat but he survived in the Caplin family's Toby Comics line without Lil Abner.

I agree, some of the Terry Toons covers are pretty tasty, especially for funny animal.

Issue 42 and 58 come to mind.

Forgot to list this one. Terry Toons 50 interior page - 1st Heckle Jeckle.

scan0314.jpg

scan0312.jpg

:cloud9: Really would like a copy of that book!

2614741650_6da719d1e5_b.jpg

Wildfire origin story

I think the Firebrand name was used for a Quality character and the costume was used by the MLJ character Inferno but the riding pants and plane seem to be a copy of Blackhawk. Art by Edd Ashe.

4795651341_8aa300acaa_b.jpg

The plane was a Lockheed P-38 Lightning although Fokker made a plane with a similar design. It was eventually replaced by the P-51 Mustang at the end of the war.

2883780196_ca50683159_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

First Woody Woodpecker from Funnies 64

fun64pap.jpg

Anyone have a pic of the cover to this book? What "Funnies" book is this?

Funnies was an early Dell line that had typical mindless newspaper funnies up to issue 34 then had John Carter, Phantasmo and Captain Midnight up to issue 63. Then they came out with issue 64 which had the cartoon theme cover. Changed the name to New Funnies with issue 65 (another tough issue to find) which was an Andy Panda / Woody Woodpecker themed book from then on.

4 copies of this book have been graded, this being the highest at 6.0. Though most of the issues usually have less than 5 graded as well, at least those are Mile High or other pedigree types 9.0 and better.

There have been a few bound books of New Funnies with issues 66 to 77 which tells me that 65 didn't have normal distribution. I believe the same is true for issues 52-63 on the Funnies side where 64 is missing.

fun64.jpg

4799645112_7c44a9102e_b.jpg

The cover of MM 27 also mentions the first appearance of the Wraith.

That looks like Hitler in the bottom right hand corner but he seems rather jaundice due to a liver infection,

I guess.

Cover by Patenaude

Edited by BB-Gun