• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP George Steinbrenner

29 posts in this topic

Not from a winning perspective but they were both very colourful and powerful owners. Ballard was the most famous owner in hockey where as Steinbrenner was the most famous owner in baseball.

Here in Canada Ballard is still talked about and discussed.

RIP George. Reminds me of when Harold Ballard died a years ago (Maple Leafs owner), a true legendary owner.

doh!doh!doh!

Steinbrenner WON championships and built a franchise juggernaut that spanned decades.

What in the world does that have to do with Ballard?

First Sheppard, now Steinbrenner :(

Let's hope the deaths of Yankee legends don't come in the three's.

RIP George - thanks for fun, the winning and continuing the tradition.

/Yankees fan/

Not from a winning perspective but they were both very colourful and powerful owners. Ballard was the most famous owner in hockey

You *really* need to get out of Toronto. The only reason Ballard is "being discussed" is because he literally drove the franchise into the ground and set up future owners with a legacy of shame that would haunt them for decades. lol

Peter Pocklington is a far better choice, or Mike Ilitch of Detroit - in order to even be compared to someone like Steinbrenner, you need to win multiple championships with some of the best HOF talent available.

I am not in Toronto, you are missing my point or running with you own (Ahmm as usual :insane:).

Only hockey fans know about the owners in Detroit & Edmonton, even non hockey fans knew about Ballard. I bet most people would think Sather owned the Oilers not Peter. IIlitch is a great owner but you don't here much about him, he stays out of sight and lets his GM and coaches run things.

Not from a winning perspective but they were both very colourful and powerful owners. Ballard was the most famous owner in hockey

You *really* need to get out of Toronto. The only reason Ballard is "being discussed" is because he literally drove the franchise into the ground and set up future owners with a legacy of shame that would haunt them for decades. lol

Peter Pocklington is a far better choice, or Mike Ilitch of Detroit - in order to even be compared to someone like Steinbrenner, you need to win multiple championships with some of the best HOF talent available.