• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommendations...Horror, Anime, Mange etc..

18 posts in this topic

Hey out there,

First off, we're trying to put together a reader copy library and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good horror comic(s). Something Marvel or DC running in the 70's, 80's if there was one. Also any Sci-fi/space type comic in the same time period, 70's/80's.

Second, Manga and Anime? What the hell is the difference? I see a bunch of big eyes and size 16 wide feet. As another poster mentioned on another topic, kids seem interested. So in the efforts of staying in business, what titles are good choices? I see Dark Horse has a few but most are listed for "mature readers" Are there any comic back issues in this area, titles?

Appreciate any help,

CRC - trying to pull its head out of the superhero genre's arse

First off, we're trying to put together a reader copy library and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good horror comic(s). Something Marvel or DC running in the 70's, 80's if there was one. Also any Sci-fi/space type comic in the same time period, 70's/80's.

Marvel's Tomb of Dracula would be a good start.

Jim

Manga is the printed stuff, anime is animated.

Don't know much about comic book manga, but a lot of book stores and comic shops have been carrying sort of TPB-looking manga for while now. Some of the books are brand new material, some are just new to Americans but were printed in Japan awhile ago. My wife & daughter love anything by Rumiko Takahashi.

Careful what you label "kid stuff" though. The Japanese have different mores than we do, and some innocent looking manga contains nudity and sexual situations that you would never see in an American comic book, such an involving underage characters.

I'm not Mr. Manga by any stretch of the imagination, but these are some titles I've enjoyed (most have been made into anime that I also enjoyed). Many are epic in length. In many cases I have no clue what's in print and what isn't:

Akira

Ghost in the Shell

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (by Hayao Miyazaki, the director of the Academy Award winning Spirited Away)

Lone Wolf and Cub

Appleseed

Galaxy Express 999

Gon

Lupin III

Beyond this rudimentary list, the options, even in English, are varied. It all depends on what genre you're interested in.

Let me echo rob's recommendation re lone wolf and cub. Truly one of the best comics series ever. Should still be fairly easy to find in mini paperback form. If you haven't read this yet you are REALLY missing out.

If you're interested in Horror and Sci-Fi comics, go right to the source- the EC books from the 50s. Reprints aplenty and better quality than practically anything produced ever.

I agree 100%. No better horror or science fiction short story comics have ever been written. I prefer the cheap color reprints anyday over the black and white library sets. Outside of that, Tomb Of Dracula and Werewolf By Night are great for continuing stories. ---------Sid

I enjoy Lone Wolf & Cub too. It's good stuff. The storylines are simpler and have a different feel than American comics, but they are still very good reads.

Let me echo rob's recommendation re lone wolf and cub. Truly one of the best comics series ever. Should in still be fairly easy to find in mini paperback form. If you haven't read this yet you are REALLY missing out.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (by Hayao Miyazaki, the director of the Academy Award winning Spirited Away)

Nausicaa is awesome - both the manga and the feature-length anime film of the same title. Frankly, *any* anime by Miyazaki is pure gold: Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Laputa (Castle in the Sky), Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke), Poco Rosso, etc.

The Nausicaa manga was printed in at least two different forms, comic and a set of smallish TPB volumes. I think the TPBs are still in print.

Lupin III

Interestingly, the first Lupin, I believe, was a film titled "Castle of Cagliostro," also done by Miyazaki smile.gif It's excellent and well worth seeing.

Can't wait for the next Miyazaki feature anime, "Howl's Moving Castle," based on the novel by Diana Wynne Jones... I'm guessing it will win another Oscar for Miyazaki.

Isn't mange a dog disease or something? confused-smiley-013.gif

yep, that was the intent grin.gif

For horror how about the 70s Marvel anthologies like Tower of Shadows and Chamber. They have some nice tryout art by BWS.

Also, the runs are short so they make for easy completion and not too much dough.