• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do interior tears affect the grade of an otherwise super high-grade book?

13 posts in this topic

Just received a beautiful copy of Hulk 162 in the mail...took a chance on an eBay purchase and was THRILLED when I examined the book. Book looks straight off the comic rack...blinding gloss, bright-white pages and that crisp, new look and feel. No visible wear. Looks to be a slam-dunk 9.6, maybe better. HOWEVER...when checking the pages, I noticed jagged consecutive edge tears on pages 18-19 that are approximately 1/2" in length. :cry:

I had planned on sending this in for grading but with the 2 small interior tears, I was wondering how much CGC might downgrade. Thoughts/experiences on sending in otherwise very HG books with interior tears?

Thanks!

Maybe a green label?

Yuk, I am not a green label fan. Green labels seem like hypothetical grades to me like the guy who says, “This would be a NM book except….”. I am sorry but I do not know what it would do to the grade but I would always prefer a blue label to a green. Just my 2c . :)

I don't think the book would get a green label...I've cracked two books out of blue-label CGC cases (both within the last year) that had interior page tears identical in nature to the ones on your Hulk 162.

Granted, these books were graded 8.0 and 8.5, but I don't think the tears affected their grades much (if at all).

Since you're talking about a book that looks like it might grade 9.6, I could see the grade being affected because the book is almost perfect otherwise.

Sorry to hear about the interior tears...I'm not a big fan of them either! :frustrated:

It just hit me, aren’t allot of those type of tears right from the publisher. I seem to remember seeing threads on that very subject where it was common on certain issues. If that is the case then CGC shouldn’t be too hard on them at all.

It all depends on the tear..a lot of page tears are from turning the page hard,or unevenly..ive torn pages before on accident.

Most production tears are consistant,thru a partial print run...my book,the FF45 with two last page tears,was obviously a careless previous owner.

Im not sure that book is 9.6. looks NM- to me maybe even vf/nm . Thin corner crease lower right and stacking curl?

stacking curl?

Almost definitely. I wouldn't have graded that book a 9.6 to be honest.

I subbed a book that, after filling out the paperwork, I noticed had a tear on the first page that went into a story panel. I'd pegged the book at 9.6 and it came back 9.4, so presumably the tear didn't affect the grade at all. I guess the tear was production related, so assuming these tears are too then they will not affect the grade.

But I wouldn't expect a 9.6 back.