• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panelology

103 posts in this topic

A kangaroo named Gertrude ? Reminds me of that movie Journey to the Center of the Earth. That Icelandic guy had a duck named Gertrude. That artwork looks pretty good HC

The artwork, or I should say the sig, is what was the most fascinating to me in that panel. I am very familiar with Sale's work for the War books at Atlas and would never have guessed this to be his work, esp. the folds in the guy's suit. The architectural design of the ship which is very well done, possibly, but not the figure work on the guy. As for the kangoroo ... well, this might have been the only time he had to draw one lol

Reading Jungle 71 tonight. The Kaänga story is drawn (signed) by Howard Larsen and as much as people deride GA art, Larsen pulled out all the stops in this one, in particular in his depiction of wildlife as you'll see in the following three panels.

Wildlife is a little loose for the first panel, as it shows Ann, coming off a swim and is the closest to nudity I've seen in a Jungle comics.

The other panels show the amount of details and care that went into the art and they deserve to be blown up for better appreciation -

101713.jpg.fde09f2fc8a3db5045166cc34db349e3.jpg

101714.jpg.55bbfcfeeeb52faf3d67e8a16a8f44e8.jpg

101715.jpg.96b8785902c8fbea475defa495c52c7d.jpg

I've never owned or read a Jungle before. Pretty good wildlife drawings. Very photo realistic. So much great stuff out there.

I got so disgusted reading a 1966 DC book this evening (Sea Devils ... it was horrible), I almost decided to become a Marvel collector. lol

I dug through my Marvel reader box and found an issue of Fantastic Four ......just to relieve the agony......and came across this panel. I think someone goofed on the word balloon, cuz that IS Reed talking.....

No prize to anyone who can guess what issue this is from hm

FF90panelcopy.jpg

I was lookin at that blue panel above the bird Scrooge, and it looks like there is a wooden foot bridge extending across the water to that island. Thats one long foot bridge. And I don't see any hand rails :o

Yeah ... but I guess my point is that: Wow!! Look at the amount of details these guys were throwing in what is in effect a throw-away panel.

Few guys in the Modern Age go to that extent. Most are: throw in a color backdrop in Photoshop and leave it at that. Of course, some guys in the GA didn't even bother with walls or windows. There is drek in all ages.

Isn't that the way it is though ? To some, even from the begining, drawing comics was a craft, and the artists took personal pride in their work. To others, it was just a matter of pay.......same pay for an awesome panel as a lousy one. I am amazed at the amount of GA artists who were really good.

The artwork, or I should say the sig, is what was the most fascinating to me in that panel. I am very familiar with Sale's work for the War books at Atlas and would never have guessed this to be his work, esp. the folds in the guy's suit. The architectural design of the ship which is very well done, possibly, but not the figure work on the guy. As for the kangoroo ... well, this might have been the only time he had to draw one lol

Robert Q. Sale is one of my favorites..one of the great under-appreciated artists. The Atlas Sale stories are some of the most intense in comics. lol There's an illustration (by John Severin?) of him in one of the SQUA TRONTs which shows him going nuts in the studio he shared with Kurtzman, Severin, Elder in the 1940's.

Is Sale a credited artist in Overstreet ? I've never come across his name before (shrug) That kangaroo panel does look really good though.

If you thought that the 3-D craze was kickstarted by Avatar, you're about 56 years too late as per this Ditko panel in Crime and Justice 18 from April 1954. Even cops talked about them at the water-cooler ;)

101847.jpg.bf8ec93375d62f757e5864236a4569b6.jpg