• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panelology

103 posts in this topic

Yay: Comics are a time capsule of America's past!!

Yikes: Comics are a time capsule of America's past!!

Straight from Raggedy Ann & Andy # 31 from December 1948, here are 2 panels that should tell you everything you need to know about the way the comics portrayed Belindy, the Raggedy's maid.

I know it's 1948 but the speech given to Belindy is more 1920's Amos & Andy than a more illuminated post WW II America. What a long way still to the '60's in this comics aimed at children.

This is nothing worse than hearing how Warren Baxter butchers a Portuguese / Mexican accent in the 1928 version of the Cisco Kid story: In Old Arizona (which we were watching last night).

Such a long tradition ... that is continuing to this day on many TV shows :sorry:

To better understand the panels, the Raggedys and Belindy were given the whiskers by The Snoop-wiggy, Wiggy-snoop and Hooky the goblin (I kid you not lol ) during their sleep from the broom's straw.

101880.jpg.3c02678efa01d3216efe2636b3f45c40.jpg

You have a one track mind Honky :grin:

Scoorge posts socially relevant commentary and appreciation for fine artwork, I post pictures of pilgrims punching bears and cartoon cheesecake :kidaround:

All I know is that you are a bad influence ... now I look for cheesecake in my comics ...

101969.jpg.4aa86274d6af727614b83f48038f1da5.jpg

I post pictures of pilgrims punching bears

:gossip: sometimes, the bear wins ...

N.B.: If you wonder about To knock galley-west (as I was as a non-native speaker), here's some info: "To knock something or someone galleywest is Amer.Eng. slang (1875, originally in Mark Twain), a corruption of western England dialectal collyweston, name of a village in Northamptonshire that somehow came to signify "askew, not right."

101970.jpg.4bb945d0db871bc417218411c9bc2d46.jpg

Scoorge posts socially relevant commentary and appreciation for fine artwork, I post pictures of pilgrims punching bears and cartoon cheesecake :kidaround:

At least you are consistent. My contributions are completely random :whee:

At least you are consistent. My contributions are completely random :whee:

Custom title!

Is Sale a credited artist in Overstreet ? I've never come across his name before (shrug) That kangaroo panel does look really good though.

Sale's work always used a very fine inking line for his Atlas War work and as mentioned also, he could bring on the violence in his stories. Here's a page-wide panel from Battle 8 (1952) I was reading this morning with some close quarters action in Korea. This would show better if the coloring was better calibrated ...

101971.jpg.686fe9605663d6e338e283ea32c7ffb1.jpg

:bump:

More than a panel, this end up being most of the page but I thought the artist (unknown) did a great job with this half-page showing the trekkers going to the river in a line and having the dialogue flow well and the eye following the action smoothly.

This is from Four Color 333 - Wilderness Trek where two Texan cowboys join a round-up and cattle drive in Australia.

102247.jpg.6697d844290925a5993ac8e03e5f8390.jpg

Thanks for the comment Marc.

I am trying to finish Volume 7 of the reprint of On Stage by Len Starr and this panel struck me. It's a great use of black and I really get the feeling of an early evening stroll under a rain soak city with those shiny slick black reflections on the pavement as these people walk ensconced heavily in their warm and wet coats. In essence, I found the panel to be very evocative of the mood and location. Simply great work in this single intro panel to the December 15, 1965 daily.

Oh ... and yeah, I get excited by the little details a little too much :foryou:

102256.jpg.ff421d11d9320cb7e96ff1df013a7f1f.jpg