• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City con in Seattle anyone???

10 posts in this topic

Hi. Just wondering if anyone here is dealing at or going to the Emerald City con in Seattle this sunday. Seattle is not known for having very good cons, but for Seattle standards anyway, this should be a pretty good one. I'll be there. ------Sid

Hi, back from the con. Spent about $200 of the $300 that I had. Very crowded. Probably the biggest crowd I have seen at a Seattle show in 20 years. Better than normal promo and a large guest list is probably why. Certainly pays off to shop around. For example, the best known dealer there (that I recognized at least) was Harley Yee. Great selection of old books. I was looking for some DC 100 page books (House Of Mystery, Unexpected, etc) and found at least 10 dealers that each had several to a couple dozen. Harley's were priced at about guide seeing prices around $30-$45 for mid-grades. Those same books in the same condition (better in some cases) I found several times for $3-$6 EACH. YES, I am not joking. I think $6 is the most I paid for a VF+ 100-pager. A couple VGs were had at $2 or $3. Some dealers go for guide, others want to sell. Certainly pays to shop around. I'm happy laugh.gif . ------Sid

What were the guests like?

I didn't really pay much attention as I could care less about autographs, although I did see Kurt Busiek walking around checking out the comics. Lots of small press publishers there and a few long lines to get books signed, but I don't know who for. ----Sid

What were the guests like?

Chaykin, Bendis, Busiek, JG Jones, to name a few. I couldn't find one nice copy of Conan #1 in Vancouver, so I was hoping to pick up a couple of copies at the convention for Busiek to sign, but no one was selling them. In fact, no one was selling the Conan #0's either, but one was included in the grab bag. My copy wasn't worth getting signed. The lineup was pretty amazing to see, but as far as books for sale, there wasn't all that much. As mentioned previously, Harley was there and gave me a wave. I guess he recognized me. Bendis and Chaykin both recognized me as well and were super nice. Chaykin wanted me to say Hi to Peter, Kevin, and Irene. hi.gif

There weren't a lot of big splashy books, no. A low grade red raven 1, a tough kid squad, an AF15, a few early national comics. A few others including a four color 9 (overgraded and overpriced). Some nice artwork though including a title splash kirby JIM for 10k, starlin's title splash to captain marvel 26 for $4500(?), a kubert viking prince title splash (10K) and some other nice items.

Other guests included roberta gregory (person_without_enough_empathyy [!@#%^&^] series - very funny), headliner stan sakai, and one of my personal favorites... James Dean Smith... creator of Boris the Bear 893applaud-thumb.gifwww.nicotatcomics.com I was shocked to see he still has some original art to issues as early as #3. I know I'm going to regret not buying any but.... I just can't get into original art... not my thing.

Stan had some covers for sale, 400 - 500 range generally.

B.

Longest line up in artist alley was for Chaykin & JG Jones. Phil Noto was doing sketches but I don't know if he was charging. 1 lady brought a long box of comics for some new creator to sign (did not recognize the name).

Next years Emerald Comicon will be a 2 day extravaganza in March/05. Line up entering the comicon after the 10:00 a.m. opening was halted for 10 mins. as there was a mob foraging around the freebie tables for Punisher & Usagi posters, flyers & mouse pads. Probably had about 1,800 ppl surge thru the doors after the 1st 30 mins. Took that long to enter.

Some ppl thought they got lucky by entering the short admission line up but wound up buying tickets for an auto? show which was on the opposite end of the convention hall. Oops. 893frustrated.gif

Lots of new talent showcasing mini-comics & zines that were not there last year. Some with sewn bindings using momma's sewing machine.

Creators of Ant #1 were there selling & signing. Sold out at the distributor level.

As good as the cons in Portland, OR but 1/2 the driving time. Some retailers drove up from Sacremento, CA. flowerred.gif