• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was the donated the the Library of Congress the Amazing Fantasy #15 art?

32 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I still find it hard to belive that the "Holy Grail of Comic Art" was hidden away for over over 40 years doh!

Someone somewhere must have known or suspected. Was it Lee? Was it Ditko?

Back in the dark ages of Marvel art was used for everything but what it was created for. Who back then thought of saving it? This was a fill in for the last issue of a dieing :angel:

When I first read this article I was sure it was an "April's Fools" joke but it wasn't.

Ok Sherlock..... what's your theory? :gossip:

WEBHEAD

PS next time I'm in D.C. I really want to schedule a viewing. :cloud9:

Has anyone taken a picture of every page yet?

2iavozn.jpg

I have. I was there with DocWatson and Timmay a few days ago.

Check out this thread I posted yesterday for a full review Comic odyssey

th_day14-07.jpgth_day14-08.jpg

I asked the curator if it was Marie Severin as I also though it was here because of her ties to Ditko and the fact there are only a few comic pages in the Library and a few of them were drawn by Marie...I figured Marie donated them together with the Ditko pages... But the lady told me she couldn't deny or confirm if it was Marie and to the best of her knowledge Marie had never donated any art to the museum...

But Watson and Timmay thought she was blowing smoke up our arses.

I asked the curator if it was Marie Severin as I also though it was here because of her ties to Ditko and the fact there are only a few comic pages in the Library and a few of them were drawn by Marie...I figured Marie donated them together with the Ditko pages... But the lady told me she couldn't deny or confirm if it was Marie and to the best of her knowledge Marie had never donated any art to the museum...

How difficult was it to get access to the art? I think my wife and I are going to be in DC this summer and I'm interested in checking this out.

How difficult was it to get access to the art? I think my wife and I are going to be in DC this summer and I'm interested in checking this out.

You should ask Timmay, he set it all up, Doc and me just made an appearance.

You should ask Timmay, he set it all up, Doc and me just made an appearance.

Hopefully you didn't get CCE filling on those treasures.

http://comicsdc.blogspot.com/2008/04/spider-man-1-original-artwork-given-to.html

The article states "certainly in the six figures"....try "certainly in the seven figures". I would guess that each page could be sold at auction for six figure amounts!

That was the first time I ever the read the book... and probably the last. How can any other time compare?

It was my second time and was miles better than the first time :eek:

That was the first time I ever the read the book... and probably the last. How can any other time compare?

I'm sure you were just nervous your first time. :foryou:

That's the best avatar you've ever had.

I introduced him to the "real" stuff last week...

I introduced him to the "real" stuff last week...

Good on you, I really need to head back to Belgium for some more. And Leffe. And Stoofvlees :cloud9:

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I still find it hard to belive that the "Holy Grail of Comic Art" was hidden away for over over 40 years doh!

Someone somewhere must have known or suspected. Was it Lee? Was it Ditko?

Back in the dark ages of Marvel art was used for everything but what it was created for. Who back then thought of saving it? This was a fill in for the last issue of a dieing :angel:

When I first read this article I was sure it was an "April's Fools" joke but it wasn't.

Ok Sherlock..... what's your theory? :gossip:

WEBHEAD

2iavozn.jpg

Who donated it? Why, it was none other than Chuck R. of course!! He spirited it away from the Marvel dumpsters all those years ago and has had it in his possession ever since, safe and sound. In fact, for three years he kept the artwork in an old burlap sack and would use it as a hippie bedroll while hitch-hiking across the country from comic con to comic con.

I read all about it in Tales from the Database part DCXXVVIII

:insane: