• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying Over Graded Raw vs. Lower Graded Slabs

20 posts in this topic

Greetings. Wondering if anyone could share input or experience.

I have been collecting comics on and off now for a little over three decades, although no new purchases or trips to stores in the last four years or so. But that is changing very soon. My personal grading style tends to be conservative whenever I am selling or trading something in, hence I have never had one complaint. Therefore whenever I buy raw, I have to adjust my expectations.

But in the vast virtual world of the internet with an unlimited source of sellers, have you found it is just better to buy a lower graded slab say in the Good/Very Good range as opposed to buying something raw that is claimed to be in the Very Good/Fine range with your fingers crossed hoping, so you do not run the risk of tremendous disappointment?

For those who buy raw, is it just a simple matter of finding that one seller who you mesh with and going exclusive with that person? I am not sure how practical that would be, given the more limited supply of certain older comics out there in the marketplace these days.

If anyone has any sites they particularly like in terms of grading quality consistency, cost, etc., feel free to share as well.

I have been collecting comics on and off now for a little over three decades, although no new purchases or trips to stores in the last four years or so. But that is changing very soon. My personal grading style tends to be conservative whenever I am selling or trading something in, hence I have never had one complaint. Therefore whenever I buy raw, I have to adjust my expectations.

But in the vast virtual world of the internet with an unlimited source of sellers, have you found it is just better to buy a lower graded slab say in the Good/Very Good range as opposed to buying something raw that is claimed to be in the Very Good/Fine range with your fingers crossed hoping, so you do not run the risk of tremendous disappointment?

For those who buy raw, is it just a simple matter of finding that one seller who you mesh with and going exclusive with that person? I am not sure how practical that would be, given the more limited supply of certain older comics out there in the marketplace these days.

If anyone has any sites they particularly like in terms of grading quality consistency, cost, etc., feel free to share as well.

indeed yes

Welcome to the boards.

I buy almost all my books here from sellers that have earned my trust or in person at shows or LCS. I also buy from trusted dealers like Bedrock Comics, Doug Sulipa and Bob Storms, they've never let me down. I don't like to buy low grade, cheap slabs as the shipping is more expensive and I see no value in getting them graded. Expensive, low grade books I prefer slabbed.

Welcome to the boards.

I buy almost all my books here from sellers that have earned my trust or in person at shows or LCS. I also buy from trusted dealers like Bedrock Comics, Doug Sulipa and Bob Storms, they've never let me down. I don't like to buy low grade, cheap slabs as the shipping is more expensive and I see no value in getting them graded. Expensive, low grade books I prefer slabbed.

Appreciate it. Thanks for the dealer references as well.

I concur with your reasoning in that there is no real value in getting lower grade stuff slabbed, especially in the scenario where you are getting it from a trusted source.

There will be certain issues or keys that I want slabbed in higher grade. But in terms of the random run stuff that I just want for the sake of completion, I have not yet decided where I am going with that quite yet.

If you're buying low grade, there should be many, many dealers who can grade those accurately. Have you tried James Payette? (jamespayettecomics.com)

If you tell us what kinds of books you collect, people can tell you who they like.

Marc

Thanks for your post. Interesting point that one particular title has individual(s) who specialize. I have not actually heard of that person/site you suggested. But I will definitley take a look.

Off hand, the only tangible run presently relevant to these threads for the time period that I will be looking to accumulate would be ASM.

Heads up on Payette. You'll find that it generally goes as follows:

The book is listed as G/VG

It's (over-)priced at what you'd think a VG should go for

It arrives looking like other dealers' VG/FN

so before walking away, give him the benefit of one order. :thumbsup:

Many thanks. I was just surfing that site and thinking just that; it was a little pricey. This kind of input is exactly why I wanted to start my little thread. I realize there are a ton of links in this forum in other threads for dealers and what not, but some of the info is not very recent and its also kind of challenging to navigate being out of the loop and all.

Many thanks. I was just surfing that site and thinking just that; it was a little pricey. This kind of input is exactly why I wanted to start my little thread. I realize there a ton of links in this forum for dealers and what not, but its kind of challenging to navigate being out of the loop and all.

Here is a "VG/F" from Jim. I disagree with the grade....obviously in a good way.

Just watch out for color touch, I bought one or two books that had tiny amounts of resto that he missed. Still, one of the best dealers around who can grade VERY tightly on some books.

bluebolt111-1.jpg

Here is a "VG/F" from Jim. I disagree with the grade....obviously in a good way.

Just watch out for color touch, I bought one or two books that had tiny amounts of resto that he missed. Still, one of the best dealers around who can grade VERY tightly on some books.

bluebolt111-1.jpg

(thumbs u Very nice cover. Thanks for your feedback and heads up on color touch.

No one has mentioned our very own CGC Sales Forum......you'll run into a skanker every now and then, but for the most part, anyone who's been here a while is worth a look. Listings are usually accompanied with good images and returns are usually hassle free. Some are better than others but I haven't had a problem yet. The previous poster, October, is a fine example. I check his sales threads every time he lists. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No one has mentioned our very own CGC Sales Forum......you'll run into a skanker every now and then, but for the most part, anyone who's been here a while is worth a look. Listings are usually accompanied with good images and returns are usually hassle free. Some are better than others but I haven't had a problem yet. The previous poster, October, is a fine example. I check his sales threads every time he lists. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Will do. Many times the obvious is right there in front of you. And definitely will keep a look out for potential "skankers" :wishluck: Thanks

+1. His Good+ books are also always nice.

Many thanks. I was just surfing that site and thinking just that; it was a little pricey. This kind of input is exactly why I wanted to start my little thread. I realize there a ton of links in this forum for dealers and what not, but its kind of challenging to navigate being out of the loop and all.

bluebolt111-1.jpg

Damn, that's a nice book! :thumbsup:

I go by spending price, if the book is over $1000 I certainly want it slabbed and not raw, if we are talking about spending less then $100 then if the dealer is well respected I will take a shot on a low grade raw. Conclusion is don`t buy your first high ticket item raw until you have more experience with dealers and grading,start off small. 2c

I go by spending price, if the book is over $1000 I certainly want it slabbed and not raw, if we are talking about spending less then $100 then if the dealer is well respected I will take a shot on a low grade raw. Conclusion is don`t buy your first high ticket item raw until you have more experience with dealers and grading,start off small. 2c

+1 This is very good advice.

I've found that CGC is much more strict on LOW grades than dealers. I've seen tons of CGC 1.5 and 1.8 books that would be sold as 2.0 to 3.0's raw by dealers.

You can sometimes get a better book for a cheaper price buying a slab because buyers shy away from the 1.5 and 1.8 label. This can save you money on those $1000+ books. (thumbs u