• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tracking slab serial numbers

8 posts in this topic

I don't know how responsive the forum will be here as this may be a question no one wants to air in public.

There is a reasonable consensus that CGC's standards have varied, sometimes loose, sometimes tight. Has anyone ever tried to tie that into to serial numbers (or dates) to indicate where the possible best/worst buys might be?

I have tried also, I wonder why CGC don't print grading dates on the labels. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've always thought they should put reslab dates on them. Since they suggest you re-slab your books every 7 years, they should put that date on the label. Or as you suggest the date it is encapsulated.

Truth is...the serial numbers don't necessarily correlate to the date of submittal. I filled out a hardcopy invoice for this book (#90201), and it was entered on the 2nd line (002). When I joined the CS, they sent me half a dozen invoices, and I still have some forms from several years ago that a friend of mine (registered dealer) gave me. Perhaps the submittals that go thru the various websites are numbered sequentially, but these lingering hardcopy invoices will make any attempt to correlate the serial number to date of grading inaccurate.

hulk1label.jpg

Yep, you can join the Collector's Society and they have a serial number lookup feature. I think you can sign up for free to get the access? It just basically repeats the information on the label, no grader's notes or anything...