• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore ''I don't want WATCHMEN back''.

33 posts in this topic

Moore is such an odd duck, but certainly not alone in that respect in the industry. I was just reading an article on the whole Miracleman/Marvelman thing (which is a whole lot more convoluted than I realized) and at least he was cool enough to say he would donate any royalties that he might make on the first printing of any such material to Mick Anglo.

I had no idea that Gaiman and McFarlane were suing each other over it. Not sure what rock I've been living under :P

They've been suing each other for a while--including some IP from when Gaiman did some guest writing early on in Spawn that eventually lead to Medieval Spawn or something like that.

Spawn #9, with the 1st appearance of Angela, Medieval Spawn, and Cogliostro. After McFarlane had been paying Gaiman royalties for a period of time because he wanted to continue using these characters, he then decided Image owned the rights to such characters and stopped paying.

Ahhhhh - the joy of independent comics with creator-owned material.

:insane:

Despite the fact that (according to McFarlane himself) he left Marvel to help create Image because the work-for-hire system was so unfair. lol

Moore is such an odd duck, but certainly not alone in that respect in the industry. I was just reading an article on the whole Miracleman/Marvelman thing (which is a whole lot more convoluted than I realized) and at least he was cool enough to say he would donate any royalties that he might make on the first printing of any such material to Mick Anglo.

I had no idea that Gaiman and McFarlane were suing each other over it. Not sure what rock I've been living under :P

They've been suing each other for a while--including some IP from when Gaiman did some guest writing early on in Spawn that eventually lead to Medieval Spawn or something like that.

Spawn #9, with the 1st appearance of Angela, Medieval Spawn, and Cogliostro. After McFarlane had been paying Gaiman royalties for a period of time because he wanted to continue using these characters, he then decided Image owned the rights to such characters and stopped paying.

Ahhhhh - the joy of independent comics with creator-owned material.

:insane:

Despite the fact that (according to McFarlane himself) he left Marvel to help create Image because the work-for-hire system was so unfair. lol

Didn't he eventually start using similar characters that Moore is arguing were modeled from his creations?

Ah yes, let's all denigrate somebody else for having principles.

I respect what Alan Moore has done for the hobby, and in no way would mock him for his contributions. But I also realize after reading much of the articles published about his war with DC that this partly came from his personal stance on control.

How can a multi-million dollar company operate on the approach, "Well, Mister Moore will let us know when he feels like working on a story, what will be in the story, and what characters he will turn over to us - please don't disturb him?"

Just as he wanted DC to be sensitive to his needs, I think a creator has to realize the company needs to feel like they can control some direction and delivery schedule to market around.

(shrug)

Ah yes, let's all denigrate somebody else for having principles.

To be fair, I was actually commending him for trying to look like Rob Zombie (or is it the other way 'round?) so it kind of evens out.

He is indeed a hairy monster.

The problem of doing any sequels or prequels, even if Moore did them, is they would be made relevant to events of that day not to the original material. IMO it would be a mistake to do a prequel or sequel now because the impact of the Watchmen is just not the same as it was back in the 80's.

As for Alan Moore I really don't give a hoot what he thinks any more. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a good writer but the man needs to learn to be humble and deal with the public since he chose to get into a occupation that is very public. His attitude towards the industry he chose to become involved with really makes me not want to pick up any more of his works.

The problem of doing any sequels or prequels, even if Moore did them, is they would be made relevant to events of that day not to the original material. IMO it would be a mistake to do a prequel or sequel now because the impact of the Watchmen is just not the same as it was back in the 80's.

As for Alan Moore I really don't give a hoot what he thinks any more. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a good writer but the man needs to learn to be humble and deal with the public since he chose to get into a occupation that is very public. His attitude towards the industry he chose to become involved with really makes me not want to pick up any more of his works.

watchmen-babies.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that he is a good writer but the man needs to learn to be humble and deal with the public since he chose to get into a occupation that is very public.

A funny book writer in the early-80's was a "very public occupation"? You need some history lessons my friend. doh!

Huh. I had no idea Jim Lee was helping run DC now. Weird.

And oh yeah. There's no need for more Watchmen. That's the beauty of it: It was a mini-series and it ended. Want more? Reread it.

This.

DC just wants something put out so they can mooch more money off the franchise with more movies, and they know fanboys and fangirls will not buy into it if its not based on original material.