• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor V.1 after Simonson

12 posts in this topic

So Thor has become probably one of my favorites as far as Marvels go. I have the whole Simonson run and quite a few of the later bronze issues. I haven't read any of the later volume 1 run however. Anyone familiar with the Frenz run and is it any good?

I really like the DeFalco/Frenz run. It's a world of difference from the Simonson run, which I liked very much as well, but it's a 'chocolate and vanilla' difference. Both are good, just different.

The DeFalco/Frenz run is much more a traditional Lee/Kirby pastiche whereas Simonson was breaking new ground.

I thought it was a little above average maybe B or so.

I am not a huge lover of that Simonson run either though because I didnt like the art. Dont get me wrong I loved the Ancient Winters storyline, the art just wasnt there for me.

I would suggest many check out Dan Jurgens run on Thor. I thought the last 20 issues or so were brillant in what he did with Thor. He set the standard for what JMS and others are continuing to run with currently. He alas only had a good penciler about every 2 or 3 issues once Romita left.

Thor after Simonson is like Happy Days in California.

It's just not the same....

Happy Days... California?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Laverne & Shirley?

Could be. I thought when they added McGinley to the cast, they moved to CA. Guess not...I never watched after Richie left. Just wasn't the same. :)

411.jpg

Great cover there. I always did enjoy the Frenz art on Spidey, he did a lot of good stuff in the Black Costume era. That's what kind of made me start thinking about going deeper into the copper Thors.

Could be. I thought when they added McGinley to the cast, they moved to CA. Guess not...I never watched after Richie left. Just wasn't the same. :)

There was an episode of Married With Children where they made some jokes about McGinley's previous roles. I think it was a Happy Days reference but could have also been The Love Boat. Funny stuff.