• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Painting Sells for $1.5 million

89 posts in this topic

Prices are going by leaps and bounds for his art.

That original art piece of Frazetta's greatest cover of all time that Halperin bought for $300K looks dirt cheap right now.

That original art piece of Frazetta's greatest cover of all time that Halperin bought for $300K looks dirt cheap right now.

That was Weird Science Fantasy #29 and it was $380,000.

That was Frazetta's greatest COMIC BOOK cover of all time, but it wasn't his best work or even his best cover art by any stretch of the imagination.

That $380,000 was a record (by almost a 100% margin) over the most any pen and ink comic cover has ever sold for, so that's a strong price regardless of what any of this pinnacle oils sell for.

Frazetta's Conan Paperback covers are some of the best fantasy art ever created. So it's tough to compare his comic work to his painted work.

Take a look at this link for an idea of the great oil paintings Frazetta created to see what I mean. THESE were the centerpiece of his career.

Frazetta Art History Archive

Page down for the links by year.

That was Weird Science Fantasy #29 and it was $380,000.

That was Frazetta's greatest COMIC BOOK cover of all time, but it wasn't his best work or even his best cover art by any stretch of the imagination.

That $380,000 was a record (by almost a 100% margin) over the most any pen and ink comic cover has ever sold for, so that's a strong price regardless of what any of this pinnacle oils sell for.

Frazetta's Conan Paperback covers are some of the best fantasy art ever created. So it's tough to compare his comic work to his painted work.

Take a look at this link for an idea of the great oil paintings Frazetta created to see what I mean. THESE were the centerpiece of his career.

Frazetta Art History Archive

Page down for the links by year.

lol Owned.

lol Owned.

Why?

(shrug)

I was more passing along information to Roy...no ownage intended or implied. :foryou:

no disrespect to boris - I own a boris myself - but boris wishes. If that were a boris the guard in the background would look like he just did his final cycle of roids and HGH and he'd be prominently in the foregound. He'd be wearing a banana hammock and the pose would be stiff as a board as if boris took a photo of the guy flexing and then painted from the photo.

The girl would be in the background, I dunno, riding a dragon or something.

Just two completely different artists - similarities on the surface notwithstanding.

his best stuff is quite nice but I find there is quite a variability in the quality. I like his work best when it avoids the cliches I mentioned above - he falls into that trap a little too often IMO 2c

boris wishes.

Maybe, but i still like his work, Rowena too.

I mean, what's not to like about this :cloud9: (Warning: Nudity)

http://aidobonsai.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/boris_vallejo_84sirensong.jpg

very, very nice. Counterpoints:

http://www.ginevra2000.it/Fantasy1/Art/Boris_Vallejo_Medusa.jpg

http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=346

Maybe it the language barrier or whatever, but i was not dising Frazetta, like i said, i own this print and love it.

Just always thought it was Vallejo (it's been in a box for atleast 15 years but i recognized it right away) :)

No no I hear you. Both artists are good. I just don't put boris on quite the same level

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

11_conan_buccaneer_fritz.jpg

no disrespect to boris - I own a boris myself - but boris wishes. If that were a boris the guard in the background would look like he just did his final cycle of roids and HGH and he'd be prominently in the foregound. He'd be wearing a banana hammock and the pose would be stiff as a board as if boris took a photo of the guy flexing and then painted from the photo.

The girl would be in the background, I dunno, riding a dragon or something.

Just two completely different artists - similarities on the surface notwithstanding.

:roflmao: Boris and his banana hammocks