• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Painting Sells for $1.5 million

89 posts in this topic

I always thought the 15"x25" print/poster i had of this was boris vallejo hm guess not

http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/fantasy/images/FrankFrazetta-Egyptian-Queen-DateUnknown.jpg

Silly Thomas :)

If you look enough at Frank's art you can easily tell the difference between his style and other artists and imitators.

Will "Moon Maiden" sell next for $1 million+?

no disrespect to boris - I own a boris myself - but boris wishes. If that were a boris the guard in the background would look like he just did his final cycle of roids and HGH and he'd be prominently in the foregound. He'd be wearing a banana hammock and the pose would be stiff as a board as if boris took a photo of the guy flexing and then painted from the photo.

The girl would be in the background, I dunno, riding a dragon or something.

Just two completely different artists - similarities on the surface notwithstanding.

There are no similarities, other than that Boris is a total Frazetta wannabe. Can't stand his work.

You are kidding right?

Frazetta never photographed any subject matter. He never

traced photo's, then copied them onto canvas.

Frazetta was a master at composition, and design, as-well-as

portraying emotion, and creating artwork that was daring, and

unsafe. He was not afraid to take, and execute chances.

boris wishes.

Maybe, but i still like his work, Rowena too.

I mean, what's not to like about this :cloud9: (Warning: Nudity)

http://aidobonsai.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/boris_vallejo_84sirensong.jpg

You are kidding right?

Frazetta never photographed any subject matter. He never

traced photo's, then copied them onto canvas.

Frazetta was a master at composition, and design, as-well-as

portraying emotion, and creating artwork that was daring, and

unsafe. He was not afraid to take, and execute chances.

boris wishes.

Maybe, but i still like his work, Rowena too.

I mean, what's not to like about this :cloud9: (Warning: Nudity)

http://aidobonsai.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/boris_vallejo_84sirensong.jpg

I enjoy Boris' work, but it's not even on the same planet as Frazetta.

Frazetta is...everyone else just wants to be.

stop devaluing my painting tim lol His best work is pretty good. His worst work is a little cringe worthy.

Uh, okay... Boris sucks except for the paintings that you own! :foryou:

stop devaluing my painting tim lol His best work is pretty good. His worst work is a little cringe worthy.

Uh, okay... Boris sucks except for the paintings that you own! :foryou:

YES!

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

Prices are going by leaps and bounds for his art.

That original art piece of Frazetta's greatest cover of all time that Halperin bought for $300K looks dirt cheap right now.

The 300k Frazetta was a steal even when it happened. Most of the best deals are right time/ right place. That was one of them

Maybe it the language barrier or whatever, but i was not dising Frazetta, like i said, i own this print and love it.

Just always thought it was Vallejo (it's been in a box for atleast 15 years but i recognized it right away) :)

No no I hear you. Both artists are good. I just don't put boris on quite the same level

Pre-1982 Boris is generally very good. 1983-84 is where it starts to get variable. 1985-on is where it is generally not so good. Frazetta was a better artist than Boris - even Boris will admit that (and has). But, Boris' best work is better than a lot of Frazettas. It is more realistic, and before he went all HGH in the mid-1980s, that was a good thing. A very good thing. Boris' women before 1984 look better than Frazetta's women . Oh yeah, I said it. You'd want to sleep with the women that Boris painted before 1984. You wouldn't necessarily want to sleep with Frazetta's Egyptian Queen, Cat Girl, etc. unless you're into short, funny cartoon women.

Even my buddy who has zero interest in comics bought a Boris print when he stumbled across it online (the same painting of the two ladies about to kiss that someone posted a link to). I don't think he'd be into Frazetta's women, and I don't think he's so far different from much of the general public. That's not to say that realism is everything (it isn't), but I know both artists' work very well and I think it is unfair how people dismiss Boris altogether while never finding any fault with Frazetta. The truth is somewhere in-between.

sounds like you and tim are going to have to duke it out again! :flamed:

I agree with you but I just wish some of that "variable" boris wasn't out there - it affects the way I view him overall.

In terms of women, I guess each person will have his preference but I'll take fraz's badonkadonk girls anytime ;)

Maybe it the language barrier or whatever, but i was not dising Frazetta, like i said, i own this print and love it.

Just always thought it was Vallejo (it's been in a box for atleast 15 years but i recognized it right away) :)

No no I hear you. Both artists are good. I just don't put boris on quite the same level

Pre-1982 Boris is generally very good. 1983-84 is where it starts to get variable. 1985-on is where it is generally not so good. Frazetta was a better artist than Boris - even Boris will admit that (and has). But, Boris' best work is better than a lot of Frazettas. It is more realistic, and before he went all HGH in the mid-1980s, that was a good thing. A very good thing. Boris' women before 1984 look better than Frazetta's women . Oh yeah, I said it. You'd want to sleep with the women that Boris painted before 1984. You wouldn't necessarily want to sleep with Frazetta's Egyptian Queen, Cat Girl, etc. unless you're into short, funny cartoon women.

Even my buddy who has zero interest in comics bought a Boris print when he stumbled across it online (the same painting of the two ladies about to kiss that someone posted a link to). I don't think he'd be into Frazetta's women, and I don't think he's so far different from much of the general public. That's not to say that realism is everything (it isn't), but I know both artists' work very well and I think it is unfair how people dismiss Boris altogether while never finding any fault with Frazetta. The truth is somewhere in-between.

This is exactly why I said what I said. They're two totally different painters with two totally different things that make their art wonderful.

I like Frazetta more because of what he brings by being realistic without being photographic. Boris renders very well, which isn't what makes Frazetta's work awe inspiring.

Apples and oranges. They're both fruit, but nothing alike.

They're both great, but not for the same reasons.

Perv

Frazetta+Conan= :cloud9:

Sorry, but I have never seen what makes Frazetta even close to special. His art is nothing I enjoy and am amazed at the following that he has developed over his career.

I sort of agree, but I also don't think I've seen a lot of his art. Anyone got a link to a particular masterpiece of his, or the name of it so I can search for it? The one that sold in the topic of this thread is great, but why someone paid 1.5 mil for it is far beyond me. (shrug)