• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Painting Sells for $1.5 million

89 posts in this topic

What's truly bizarre about this is the lack of reporting on the facts.

Frank Sr. did want Frank Jr to get his paintings away from his greedy kids, and signed a notarized and (later certified) letter telling him to do so. That Frank Sr wanted his paintings protected from his other kids is indisputable.

The problem is, that Frank Sr. had already been scammed into signing all of his rights over to his kids, so even though he was the creator and owner, he had no legal say whatsoever in what happened to the paintings. So Frank Sr knew his kids were planning to sell them all off, Frank Jr was told to secure the paintings for his father (all of this is indisputable) but due to his kids having control of his assets, Frank Sr had no legal right to stop it. I can't even imagine kids that devious, and they even released an ultra-fake video to gain public support.

Now Frank Sr dead and Frank Jr is in jail. I also wouldn't recommend his family dress warmly on their deathbeds.

As I've said before. Frank should have made a pile of the paintings behind the museum and burned them.

I hate when someone dies and their whole lives are eaten by the vultures they left behind.

It's sad. It really is sad.

For me, had Frank been my pop, I would have been clear on his wishes and tried to honor them. If I had the liberty to handle as I chose.....I'd sell off 10 to 20 million worth and keep the rest....definitely the icon pieces....although I don't consider either of the 2 recent Conan pieces to fit that category. I'd want to keep "Frost Giant's Daughter" for sure, and quite a few of the Creepy and Eerie pieces. Don't know if I could honestly say I'd be interested in day to day operations of the museum.....a lot of work for a minimal return. I'm not really sure what type of "debt" I'd feel was "owed" to his fans. 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Prove me wrong: post a photo he took for his commissioned work.

Frazetta never photographed any subject matter.

wrong

In the book "Living Legend" there is a shot of Frazetta posing for reference for his "Gauntlet" movie poster. If I can find my copy I'll post it. When he did use photos for reference, I have read that it was usually either him or Ellie as the model. GOD BLESS...

You are right. It is a total fiction that Frazetta never photographed any subject matter. Look at "Carson of Venus" in the "Icon" book - bam, photo of Frank posing as Tarzan pictured on that page. Or page 148 of "Testament" showing him posing over a fallen Al Williamson. I recall reading about Frank using one of his daughters as reference for some piece he did in the 1970s. I think it's fair to say that he didn't rely on photo-reference, but to say he never used photos or models is inaccurate.

Gene and the rest, thanks for posting a response to that so I don't have to try to find my small archive of Frazetta photos showing him as Thunda..

More proof:

101668.jpg.5d0b19264121d803da1e6b21bb9030d7.jpg

So is this the family starting to blow off all his paintings for cash, just as his wall-busting son attested they were planning?

Sad, nobody paid attention to him because of his past...he was right all along..I remember Sean telling me this would happen if his Dad was to die...not even a year passed before it came true... :(

Only a few weeks passed before some of the best pieces in the collection were sold off. So much for those claiming that the collection would remain intact. :tonofbricks:

I think you have to assign some of the blame to Frank Sr and his wife. It seems like they never let their family enjoy much, if any, of the wealth that they could have from selling a few of Frank's paintings while he was alive...

Ellie told me that years ago, Frank Sr doled out a large lump sum of money to each his children, to invest or use as they chose. Frank Jr chose to open his costume shop, which is still open to this day, afaik. So to say they never let their kids enjoy much, if any, of the $$$ isn't quite right.

So is this the family starting to blow off all his paintings for cash, just as his wall-busting son attested they were planning?

Sad, nobody paid attention to him because of his past...he was right all along..I remember Sean telling me this would happen if his Dad was to die...not even a year passed before it came true... :(

Only a few weeks passed before some of the best pieces in the collection were sold off. So much for those claiming that the collection would remain intact. :tonofbricks:

I think you have to assign some of the blame to Frank Sr and his wife. It seems like they never let their family enjoy much, if any, of the wealth that they could have from selling a few of Frank's paintings while he was alive...

Ellie told me that years ago, Frank Sr doled out a large lump sum of money to each his children, to invest or use as they chose. Frank Jr chose to open his costume shop, which is still open to this day, afaik. So to say they never let their kids enjoy much, if any, of the $$$ isn't quite right.

How large is "large"? Because the kids could probably net around $5 million each, minimum, from selling his paintings now.

How large is "large"? Because the kids could probably net around $5 million each, minimum, from selling his paintings now.

She did not define "large" for me. I did not know Ellie personally, this was when my wife and I visited the Museum. It was small talk, and basically all I know is what I posted above.

She did not define "large" for me. I did not know Ellie personally, this was when my wife and I visited the Museum. It was small talk, and basically all I know is what I posted above.

Well, that's kind of my point. What Ellie called "large" might not have seemed so large to any objective person.

It could be like my grandfather, who handed out tips that in his honest opinion were really generous, and they were... if it was still 1950. My uncles or aunts would usually follow behind him and discretely give the bellboy or waiter a "real" tip. But if you ever asked my grandfather to take a lie detector test as to whether he had given an appropriate tip, he would've passed every time because in his heart he truly believed it was, even though the reality was not in synch with his belief.

Not saying that the Frazettas didn't give their kids money that was "large" in all senses of the word, but just saying that it can be a very subjective term.

I stand corrected.

Going back to my copies. ( pure joy to review those books ) I forgot about those photos, and stories.

Prove me wrong: post a photo he took for his commissioned work.

Frazetta never photographed any subject matter.

wrong

In the book "Living Legend" there is a shot of Frazetta posing for reference for his "Gauntlet" movie poster. If I can find my copy I'll post it. When he did use photos for reference, I have read that it was usually either him or Ellie as the model. GOD BLESS...

You are right. It is a total fiction that Frazetta never photographed any subject matter. Look at "Carson of Venus" in the "Icon" book - bam, photo of Frank posing as Tarzan pictured on that page. Or page 148 of "Testament" showing him posing over a fallen Al Williamson. I recall reading about Frank using one of his daughters as reference for some piece he did in the 1970s. I think it's fair to say that he didn't rely on photo-reference, but to say he never used photos or models is inaccurate.

Gene and the rest, thanks for posting a response to that so I don't have to try to find my small archive of Frazetta photos showing him as Thunda..

More proof:

You guys are high :makepoint:

No, we are expressing an opinion.

I think his art is difficult to look at, un-enjoyable, and not pleasing in any way shape or form.

People can talk about how great his art is, and while it takes skill to do what he does, it looks like a horses rear end to me and I would just as soon look at a 1st graders finger painting than his junk.

I guess a lot of people might disagree, which is fine. We're all going to disagree on something.

I can tell you why I like his work...it has a certain fluid feel to it that makes it feel "real" as in the action is happening right then and there.

There is a dynamic, or a mood that comes across...almost like motion from a 2D page that many people cannot capture. It can be as simple as the way a gown floats over a woman as she walks on by or it can be as aggressive as the way Conan swings his sword or how a horse moves.

I also really like the tones that he gets out of his paintings...it reminds me of something warm and fluid...almost inviting.

What I like the most though, and this is a Frazetta thing that I haven't seen any where else, is how his shadows in his work take on a color that almost reminds me of a puddle...where the shadow is lighter than it "should" be making it look surreal. He does this with pencils, paints...all of his work where "shading" is possible.

I really like it personally, but hey, there is no right and wrong here. Just appreciation in greater or lesser degrees.

No, we are expressing an opinion.

I think his art is difficult to look at, un-enjoyable, and not pleasing in any way shape or form.

People can talk about how great his art is, and while it takes skill to do what he does, it looks like a horses rear end to me and I would just as soon look at a 1st graders finger painting than his junk.

I guess a lot of people might disagree, which is fine. We're all going to disagree on something.

I can tell you why I like his work...it has a certain fluid feel to it that makes it feel "real" as in the action is happening right then and there.

There is a dynamic, or a mood that comes across...almost like motion from a 2D page that many people cannot capture. It can be as simple as the way a gown floats over a woman as she walks on by or it can be as aggressive as the way Conan swings his sword or how a horse moves.

I also really like the tones that he gets out of his paintings...it reminds me of something warm and fluid...almost inviting.

What I like the most though, and this is a Frazetta thing that I haven't seen any where else, is how his shadows in his work take on a color that almost reminds me of a puddle...where the shadow is lighter than it "should" be making it look surreal. He does this with pencils, paints...all of his work where "shading" is possible.

I really like it personally, but hey, there is no right and wrong here. Just appreciation in greater or lesser degrees.

Well said.

You are a man's man Roy (thumbs u

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

:blush:

Where did the mythic ideal to keep all of Frank's paintings in one place come from? I find this to be somewhat laughable - it just doesn't happen with art. :D
Your question is central to this discussion, in my view. If the mythic ideal to keep all of Frank's paintings in one place came from Frank Sr. himself, then it appears his wishes are not being met and I wouldn’t find that laughable. If Frank Sr. was told one thing while he was alive when all the while the intention was to do something else after he’s gone, it’s worth the attention.

Like jimjum12 said,

For me, had Frank been my pop, I would have been clear on his wishes and tried to honor them. If I had the liberty to handle as I chose.....I'd sell off 10 to 20 million worth and keep the rest....

If Frank Sr. wanted the collection intact and reality dictated otherwise, then a statement like “contrary to our Father’s wishes we are selling some of his paintings” might be appropriate.

And in this snippet:

Also, the "new guys" you mention as acting as agents for Frank Sr. are two of the most knowledgeable Frazetta collectors in the world. They are both 100% solid, upstanding, and honest persons as you may ever meet. They are each extraordinarily successful professionals in their respective fields and have rightfully gained the trust of Frank Sr. through their interactions with him over the years. Given their respective collections of Frazetta artwork I would wager $100 to your $1 that they paid for a pretty nice chunk of that new museum through their purchases directly from Frank.

So before you believe Jr. 100% you should realize that some of the other people involved are the absolute salt of the earth and people that have earned Frank's trust along with most of the people in the art hobby.

If the above is true, and I have no reason to doubt that it isn’t, then Frank Sr.’s wishes must have been to sell off some or all of his work after he was gone, given the trust they gained from Frank. (Is my logic flawed?)

And then why the statements like this posted on 12-14-09, when he was still alive?

So much speculation. Understandable given the circumstances, but speculation

none the less.

A few things that I can pass along with absolute certainty without compromising

any confidences--

5--The vast core of the Frazetta art collection will not be sold off or broken

up and will be available at some future date for all of his fans to be able to

see and enjoy for years to come. The recent sale of the Conan painting for a

million dollars was a rarity that will not likely be repeated anytime soon if

ever. Not because there are not buyers, but because of the desire of the family

to keep the art as always.

Hope this answers some of the most pressing questions. Sorry I can't be more

specific, but this is understandable, yes?

Scott Williams

If Frank Sr. didn’t want his paintings sold off like JC contends, and I have no reason to doubt this either, then “100% solid, upstanding, and honest persons who are the absolute salt of the earth” might release a statement like “contrary to our client’s wishes we are selling some of his paintings”.

The estate reps and surviving family members owe fans like me nothing; such as keeping the collection together for museum shows, or any explanation for what they do. My curiosity is piqued by all I have read on these forums and in the news. I am ignorant of the facts by virtue of my (lack of?) position. I believe those who do know the facts are honest, but some of them also have the most to gain, be it money, sales commissions, or artwork acquisition. Perhaps some people are quiet due to respect for Frank.

Did Frank Frazetta Sr. want the collection kept together after he passed?

I am left with my ignorance, which begets nagging questions, and a little sadness.

Did Frank Frazetta Sr. want the collection kept together after he passed?

If he did, all he had to do was bequeath it to a trust that would be controlled by someone who under the terms of the trust wouldn`t be able to sell them except to benefit the trust, and not the kids. It`s not difficult.

Since I'm asking questions that may never get answered, how many Frazetta pieces have been sold from the collection since he passed away?

Maybe you should be asking how many pieces Frank sold over the years during his life. Because, from the sound of it, you seem to have the assumption that Frank never sold an oil painting (or several oil paintings) or a Famous Funnies cover (or most of them), or his Canaveral Plates, and that assumption would be wrong.

Or maybe you should ask how many pieces were sold or being marketed for sale or were identified by Frank Sr. as pieces he would sell if a certain price or set of criteria or needs were met well before his untimely passing.