• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stabbing at SDCC.

75 posts in this topic

I went to SDCC for the first time two years ago and had a blast. BUT...as a comics fan, it was painful to see a crowd swarm the bit actor who played Hotdog on the new Battlestar Galactica while Neal Adams was sitting nearby at a table looking bored.

130,000 people in crowded buildings over five days and one guy gets hit near the eye by an with a pen in his hand. It doesn't speak to anything in generalities. I am guessing there are more arrests in a given day at Disneyland than during the SDCC (at least if this is the report that makes headlines), despite the millions of dollars in goods, long lines and people in carts ramming ankles, this being the terrible incident of the past several years speaks volumes about how well staff and attendees keep things under control.

Tell me that guy isn't gonna get some love in jail with that shirt! lol

I knew it..............one of those DAMN Harry Potter fans :frustrated:

:whee:

Maybe a wand instead of a pen? (shrug) Should we send the attacker a cake while he's lodged at the SD county jail?

eye_stab.jpg

:jokealert:

...sort of...I know damn well had I been stabbed in/near the eye, my ruthless friends would buy me this cake.

According to Dread Central, one man stabbed the other in the eye with a pen.

OMFG, that is horrible and just goes to prove that ultra-nerds simply cannot function in a social setting. doh!

The pot said kettle............. :angel:

Last year when we set up there, someone made a very nasty comment to my father about his mother. The guy didnt put two and two together realizing he was talking about my grandmother. Security had to be called over after a few minutes.

Its not just comic people at this convention they are from all walks of life.

Jeff

I could not find an article to this story but maybe someone else here seen this one:

At the LA Monthly Con at the old Shrine in 2001 these two girls got in a all-pro smackdown. Crowd gathered around and they duked it out for about 3 minutes non-stop punching until Security got there. All I can recall was that this was AFTER 9/11 and thinking that the world has gone mad....

CAL sad about this incident at SD 2010

There were some con goers that were lashing back at the stabbing perp.

I saw several guys with signs made up saying stuff like: "Free tab to the eye" and there was a cut out for the eye and a pen taped to the cardboard sign ripe for the taking. The sign was worn as a mask with one eye peeking through.

Thankfully most guys were wearing glasses.

doh!

I bet next time someone tells that guy "this seat is saved" he will stfu and move along.

If s/he has any brains at all..

CAL who has been around all kinds of people

130,000 speaks volumes about how well staff and attendees keep things under control.

lol

lol:roflmao::roflmao: Is joke right ?... Funny yes ?.. hahha! I know I'm laughing! My experience in 08 the staff knew nothing about nothing & not even where they were in the freaking building lol! They would also block off random exits where you could only go in but not back out but had no signs saying such :S made no freaking sense to me ... booths also had poor controlls of line ups & the line ups would get so long and start to take over other booths which is just not fair to them honestly lol! They would then move you over to blank spot only to have someone else come along & tell you you couldn't be there doh!

& lets face it the bathrooms were horrible & a mess all the time they need people in those things taking care of them 24/7

Here is a report from someone on another forum that just boggles my mind :S

" Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Oh my God, dude I had a feeling that it was just about time.

I was there Thursday and Friday with my wife, the massive disorganization of everything from panel, to signings, to swag give ways causes a mass amount of stress and frustration. I can't tell you how many times I lined up or gather for something just to turned away and new people would jump in and security would let them pass and not me and my wife.

my wife missed out on on everything she wanted, s smallvile bag, signed poster from the cast of true blood, true blood panel, pacman lanyard, and Dexter bag, so I was not to happy that I could not get her those things. At the True Blood signing some of the security was starting to push and tried to cover my camera, as I tried to take pics, One security started to tell the others to push if they had to,. my wife made it in and I was trying to hand her my camera when this security guy tries to slap my cam out of my hand and tells me to move back, I told him I was handing the camera to my wife and he said "so what" and shoved me, I shouldered him and he tripped down to the ground. Later some dude runs into my wife and knocks down her nachos, and instead of apologizing he laughs and it pissed me off, and not until I got in his face did he apologies and took off.

I think they really need a better way of doing things, vouchers, for panels or signings, or something. Plus they need to have better trained security and the booth people for the most part don't know anything and are rude when you ask them something, I don't think that most of the booth workers work for their perspective companies, they seemed to be hired by welfare-works or some crappy temp agency same goes for most of the "Elite" security guys. This year they were Nazis about badge checking in around and sometimes in the hall, but not about anything more important like line cutting or organization. This year a pen stabling, next year a jumping and stamped, then the year after that a shooting with a little full scale riot. "

From the sounds of things to me its not gotten much better than it was in 08