• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Mistakes

143 posts in this topic

OK, so it is at least somewhat based upon something. Damnable Arnold!

That being said, Overstreet has never moved the Bronze Age from 1970.

But Arnold wanted to, no matter how he later "softened" his stance when the forum erupted on him. I remember him posting that ASM 121 was the "start" of the BA, and it's clearly shown he believes the SA ended in 1972.

Otherwise, if he didn't believe it, why would he write such an article?

BTW, what was Arnold's official role at OS? I thought he was Editor/EIC or something prior to leaving for the museum? He's definitely not just "some guy who wrote an article" and had a controlling role at the publication.

a) You create a thread stating that the OSPG says that the Bronze Age started in 1973, and that GL #76 has been added to the list of Most Valuable Silver Age books.

BASED ON (ERRONEOUS) COMMENTS POSTED IN A BA THREAD BY BRONZEJOHNNY.

My only fault was believing what that doofus said was correct.

Still charming as ever. Just when I'd like to believe you might have changed. doh!

What do you want, you pinheads are hammering me for his mistake, and you know it. My error was believing him.

Wow, I realize they're hedging their bets with that silly question mark, but ASM 121? I thought as far as Marvel was concerned, Conan 1 is typically one of the Bronze Age bench markers and ASM is considered to have entered the BA with ASM 96! Further, GL 76 was supposed to be the DC book to usher in the BA for that side of the house.

I dunno... I'm funny about this but I guess I've never really liked the notion of one particular book ushering in a particular comic age as there typically seem to be a few defining characteristics in each period, and no one book possesses them all right off the bat.

Of course, there is one exception (for me) to this rule: Action Comics #1 :grin:

But that monster aside, I try to pick out at least 2-3 books that demonstrate the break from one period to the next. Frankly, it's how rhetoric is practiced--you provide a representative number of examples to prove your argument. And isn't that dealing with the organization and presentation of ideas?

So for me? Those three books tend to split the Silver Age and Bronze Age apart. ASM 121? :insane:

so in other words, the article had nothing to do with Bob Overstreet making any "edicts".... it was simply an article written by J.C. Vaughn and Arnold Blumberg hm

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Check out the first two titles listed in OS from that era:

J.C. Vaughn - Executive Editor

Arnold Blumberg - Editor

Oh yeah, it's just "two random guys" who wrote that, right? meh

As an after thought, even if the OSPG has one particular stance on an issue and then someone who is in a position of authority who works for the OS comes out and publishes constradictory information, then I do think that is highly problematic.

However, I realize this article was published in, what, 2003? Obviously, if Arnold's position changed, that's perfectly fine--things change as people readjusted their positions over time. And that might simply be what's going on here with the ASM 121 thing.

What do you want, you pinheads are hammering me for his mistake, and you know it. My error was believing him.

Since you asked sooooo nicely, how about you mellow the out or just leave for good?

You could have just taken the high road ans said, "oh I goofed", but you didn't do that, you decided to call bronzejonny a doofus.

And then me a pinhead.

The high road doesn't exist in your world and never did.

Shine on you crazy diamond (thumbs u

so in other words, the article had nothing to do with Bob Overstreet making any "edicts".... it was simply an article written by J.C. Vaughn and Arnold Blumberg hm

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Check out the first two titles listed in OS from that era:

J.C. Vaughn - Executive Editor

Arnold Blumberg - Editor

Oh yeah, it's just "two random guys" who wrote that, right? meh

Now you look at an actual book?

You could have just taken the high road ans said, "oh I goofed", but you didn't do that, you decided to call bronzejonny a doofus.

And then me a pinhead.

Truth hurt?

The question is, why is everyone hammering me for someone HE said? Why aren't you in the original BA thread trolling him? I was just repeating it because I assumed people with the new OS could read - my mistake.

Now you look at an actual book?

Huh? Ask bronzejohnny about the newest one, but I have the old ones from that era though.

This place really has gone to :censored: - just a bunch of angry no-life losers looking for a target for their bile. "Hey, there's JC posting about some stupid crapola bronzejohnny screwed up on, let's jump him and make our empty lives look slightly better"

And then me a pinhead.

Truth hurt?

The question is, why is everyone hammering me for someone HE said? Why aren't you in the original BA thread trolling him? I was just repeating it because I assumed people with the new OS could read - my mistake.

Joe. Folks are hammering you because you lazily repeated something erroneous and acted as though it was accurate until it became clear it wasn't. Let's say a journalist puts something out there and doesn't bother to confirm its accuracy. Then he/she doesn't have the excuse to say it's not his/her fault. I know you're not a journalist, but the parallel still is there. And it's interesting that you say your "mistake" is assuming people with the new OS could "read"--nice deflection. :lol:

And then me a pinhead.

Truth hurt?

Oh shut up, you individual_without_enough_empathy. You haven't changed at all. You're still the most miserable POS on these boards.

I'm not hammering you for what he said. I'm hammering you because you have all the social grace of a rock. insufficiently_thoughtful_person

Why don't you just FDQ yourself out of here (again) and leave us alone.

Joe. Folks are hammering you because you lazily repeated something erroneous and acted as though it was accurate until it became clear it wasn't. Let's say a journalist puts something out there and doesn't bother to confirm its accuracy.

What? Did you actually write that? Do you actually think I'm a CGC journalist? :roflmao::roflmao:

Bronzejohnny is a member of the CGC forums, just like me, and he posted something erroneous and unconfirmed (which BTW, no one else corrected), and had no one troll his thread. I am a member of the CGC forums, and just repeated that erroneous info and half the forum jumps on me.

I guess that's because I'm a journalist covering the CGC scene and bronzejohnny is just a regular guy, right? lol

Joe. Folks are hammering you because you lazily repeated something erroneous and acted as though it was accurate until it became clear it wasn't. Let's say a journalist puts something out there and doesn't bother to confirm its accuracy.

What? Did you actually write that? Do you actually think I'm a CGC journalist? :roflmao::roflmao:

Bronzejohnny is a member of the CGC forums, just like me, and he posted something erroneous and unconfirmed (which BTW, no one else corrected), and had no one troll his thread. I am a member of the CGC forums, and just repeated that erroneous info and half the forum jumps on me.

I guess that's because I'm a journalist covering the CGC scene and bronzejohnny is just a regular guy, right? lol

Are you 5 years old? Grow the up & be man enough to admit you screwed up :doh:

Are you 5 years old? Grow the up & be man enough to admit you screwed up :doh:

JC apologize? Are you crazed man? That's surely one of the seven signs of the apocalypse.