• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the San diego Comic con leaning even farther away from being a Comic con?

177 posts in this topic

There's almost something tangible in the air that you just can't manufacture.

(thumbs u

The smell of 1000's of unbathed comic nerds? Greggy farts?

Downtown SD is very cool, especially the Gaslamp, and the city is home to some of the most beautiful women in the world. :cloud9:

I've never been, but have always heard what a great town it is.

Chris, believe it or not but out of the towns that I have been to Baltimore is the only other town that I can sort of compare to SD. It has a similar sort of "feel" to it (minus the crime).

It's on the water, it's a fairly trendy town, lots of stuff to do in the Harbor tourist area, there is a sense of belonging to the locals, there is a sense of history and yet the town is modern and contemporary at the same time. It now just struck me as being similar in presentation.

I was just pointing to the fact that you stated that you dont see people with comic book t-shirts gambling or going to a strip club.

No, that's not what I said. I said "here is a reality check: the % of people who would gamble is very very very small and the number of people going to strip clubs is even smaller. I've never seen anyone at Spearmint Rhino wearing a Harry Potter shirt or Green Lantern ring "

don't mischaracterize what I posted to bolster your argument

And thats my point. There arent enough attendees to make you notice.

And that is probably the one reason you have NOT seen a major comic show in Vegas.

I do hope you are right. I know Creation throws shows in Vegas and they seem to do pretty well.

there are plenty of comic shops here in Vegas.. I'd be surprised if 1 in 100 of their customers would spend $20 on a lap dance, or wager at a blackjack table.

Nevermind. You win.

Remember Jeff, you and I would never frequent a place like that.

We would find the local church for our daily bible readings like we do every morning at 7:00 am.

I've seen pictures that say the opposite.

:baiting:

We would find the local church for our daily bible readings like we do every morning at 7:00 am.

Yes, then after the show, just stand around and help the elderly cross the street.

I've seen pictures that say the opposite.

:baiting:

hm(tsk)

do they have lap dances there too???

:roflmao:

Praise the Lord and pass the prostitution?

At the same time though, there has never been a convention of the magnitude, or even 1/10 the magnitude of San Diego, in Las Vegas.

you mean a comic book convention

Comdex used to bring in 160,000 people for which we have plenty of convention space and hotels, and unlike San Diego, these hotels are all within 1-2 miles of the facilities. We regularly have conventions that bring in the biggest crowds anywhere

Yes I meant Comic Book Convention.

that convention in 2002 was about 20% the size of SDCC

So you are telling me that comic convention drew almost 30,000 people?? Really??

I would be amazed if the attendance at that show was over 10,000. I remember it being very slow and sparsely attended. There was also some awful band outside of the convention hall playing the same metal music over and over again. The only thing good about the show was the masquerade ball. There were some real hotties there!

I do enjoy the entire con notwithstanding its continuing de-emphasis on comics. Some of the panels were really enjoyable. It was great to see a panel on Quantum Leap featuring Scott Bakula.

Would like to hear some details from the Quantum Leap panel. My wife loved that show...15 years ago. Great to hear that it still generates interest today. :)

I loved that show! I'm still hoping they make a movie that wraps up the whole thing.

If nobody minds my spamming, I was at the show and audio recorded 12 panels + the Eisner Awards.

http://www.thecomicbooks.com/audio.html#2010SanDiego

Of particular interest is the Siegel and Shuster panel where a variety of people revealed some new info about them. Among them is a very strong candidate for the inspiration of Superman.

There was a spotlight on Jenette Kahn, long time President and Publisher of DC Comics. She was interviewed by Paul Levitz about her time at DC.

Comics Reprints Panel where a number of the publishers who are reprinting comic strips gather and talk about doing them.

And also the Bill Everett panel, where author of Fire and Ice: Bill Everett, Blake Bell talks with Wendy Everett about her father. Lots of new and interesting info is revealed about the creation of Daredevil, the original idea of the costume and who were some of Everett assistants were in his Marvel work.