• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 on Ebay

65 posts in this topic

Now some dillweed is trying to sell a reprint of Batman #1 as if it's authentic:

I contacted the guy. He said he didn't realize it was a reprint, and he took down his listing immediately. (He also said yes, it is oversized, and he simply didn't understand the situation.) I am not sure if I believe him, but he had the grace to take down the listing, so he's either an actual decent person or somebody who realized the scam isn't worth the trouble.

Here's the latest scammer butthead: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=260663942537)

09-2010-batman-scam.jpg

Worst part is he says he's going to contribute 50% to charity, "so the higher the bid the better"... What a tool.

P.S. If you have a moment, please click the "Report Item" button. eBay is more likely to shut these scams down if it gets multiple reports.

Now some dillweed is trying to sell a reprint of Batman #1 as if it's authentic:

I contacted the guy. He said he didn't realize it was a reprint, and he took down his listing immediately. (He also said yes, it is oversized, and he simply didn't understand the situation.) I am not sure if I believe him, but he had the grace to take down the listing, so he's either an actual decent person or somebody who realized the scam isn't worth the trouble.

If you believe there are people who buy it without realizing it's a fake, then you have to accept that there may be some people who would find it and (start to) sell it without realizing it's fake.

I think it DC had never reprinted exact looking copies of these books, they would all be worth considerably more money.

Someone just spent $407 via a snipe bid on eBay for a Batman 1 reprint that is worthless. doh!

Picture4.png

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-No-1-Copyright-Spring-1940-Oversized-Comic-Book-/180557036575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0a09bc1f

The auction description read, "I'm unsure if this is the real thing or a replica. I just don't know"

Unbelievable

If you believe there are people who buy it without realizing it's a fake, then you have to accept that there may be some people who would find it and (start to) sell it without realizing it's fake.

That's a reasonable point to make. HOWEVER...

When you're buying something, your only responsibility is to yourself. Caveat emptor and all that.

When you're selling something, you are responsible for figuring out what you're selling enough so that you are not misrepresenting it to all the potential buyers. (In my opinion.)

Here's one I haven't seen before -- the old Famous First Edition scam, done with Sensation Comics #1 instead of Supes or Bats...

Sensation Comics #1 - eBay SCAM

Here's what it looks like (for "Wonder Women"). $1,200 is such a deal....if it were real... I'm sure the "issues with the exterior binding" are the usual ones due to removing the outer cover.

scam-sensation1.jpg

Wonder if anyone will go for it. Reporting now... Please report this, as eBay takes things more seriously if they receive multiple reports.

By the way, here are comparison shots of the reprint versus the original authentic comic. Besides the brighter colors (light blue and purple in the reprint), the main difference appears to be the red exclamation point. AND... if you look close, the red lines around the gun-fire line (the gun at right) are configured differently. AND... Wonder Woman's right shoe's heel is colored in the reprint. AND... The farthest-left little building (under the Capitol) is dark instead of light.

sensation1-comparison.jpg

Here's one I haven't seen before -- the old Famous First Edition scam, done with Sensation Comics #1 instead of Supes or Bats...

Here's what it looks like (for "Wonder Women"). $1,200 is such a deal....if it were real... I'm sure the "issues with the exterior binding" are the usual ones due to removing the outer cover.

scam-sensation1.jpg

Wonder if anyone will go for it. Reporting now... Please report this, as eBay takes things more seriously if they receive multiple reports.

By the way, here are comparison shots of the reprint versus the original authentic comic. Besides the brighter colors (light blue and purple in the reprint), the main difference appears to be the red exclamation point. Also, if you look close, the red lines around the gun-fire line (the gun at right) are configured differently.

The dirtbag also listed a Whiz 2 for the same price as the Sensation One. I'm debating whether to hit the BIN or try and get it for $700 with the hope it doesn't get bid up for more.

The dirtbag also listed a Whiz 2 for the same price as the Sensation One. I'm debating whether to hit the BIN or try and get it for $700 with the hope it doesn't get bid up for more.

Good catch, I didn't think to click his other listings. If you bid on it, let me know what happens. I'm sure you'll soon get an email asking you to pay via wire transfer.

scam-sensation1.jpg

By the way, here are comparison shots of the reprint versus the original authentic comic. Besides the brighter colors (light blue and purple in the reprint), the main difference appears to be the red exclamation point. Also, if you look close, the red lines around the gun-fire line (the gun at right) are configured differently.

alot of the colors look different too.

Here's another Action Comics #1 on eBay that doesn't quite look legitimate.

Something fishy about this Action Comics #1 auction

Update: He took down the listing and started over with new pics and description.

Here's what he writes as a disclaimer: "Noted: Want to be clear about this item, Not Guaranteed about if this item is not original first issue or real deal. No way to know because I cannot open the sealed and its your risk to bid it and not know for sure if its real deal or not. I want to give you a fair warning about this item and many of you asked me about what is it size? By the size, it is Golden Age comic book. Its sealed hard plastic over the comic book and I could not able to open it, and there is black paper cover on the back which I cannot see what is looking like back cover. I cant see inside of book when it was printed... My friend told me that its real deal. I will have someone to look at it and will update about it if its real deal or not. Again it is your own risk to buy it... If you have any questions, let me know! Thanks. You can see my feedback as it show that everyone were happy with my items in the past. Happy Bidding."

Here is the new listing:

ACTION COMICS #1 -- LISTED MAY 4, 2011

Pretty shady. What are the tell-tale signs of a reprint?

It's a reprint. It's the wrong shape for a GA comic, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other tell-tale signs (front of car & a bunch of the rock are cut off, for instance, and there's too much blue at the top).

It's a reprint. It's the wrong shape for a GA comic, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other tell-tale signs (front of car & a bunch of the rock are cut off, for instance, and there's too much blue at the top).

Yep. I was looking at the Guide to Action Comics #1 Reprints , and there are numerous signs here -- the lack of sweat from the man's face, the lack of yellow sideboards on the car.

There's also the fact of the man putting his thumb over the price. Hmmm.

What gets me is this guy has an eBay score (accumulated feedback rating) of more than 700. Was the account hacked, or is this guy willfully risking getting knocked off of eBay after years of presumably legitimate transactions?

Really a shame,clearly the seller even knows it not the first printing even to try to cover his track by adding at the bottom

[font:Arial Black]Noted: Want to be clear about this item, Not Guaranteed about if this item is not original first issue[/font] doh!

But with ebay new rules to protect the buyer,Buyer can buy it and leave negative on the seller lets just hope it dont cost to much tho !!!! :wishluck: