• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Wizard Authentic Editions - Are They Really Variants?

11 posts in this topic

I was looking at the FF (complete with variants) registry, and noticed there were two entries for FF 1/2. One is regular, and the other is "Wizard Authentic". I thought it might be an error, because I did an internet search and could only find one version: Regular Version . But then I checked the census and saw there was a book graded as "wizard authentic" and it was qualified. Then it hit me, it must have been a book like this:

scan0071.jpg

Ok, having a book signed and slapping a holo sticker on it makes it a "variant"? I've paid for some pretty ridiculous variants in my day, but there is no way I'm going to buy one of those to complete my variant set.

Does anyone know if the books were actually printed with the holo stickers?

The Wizard Authentic variants show up in a number of modern Marvel runs (UXM, Civil War, New Avengers, Avengers, probably others). They are always going to be a qualified book since they were signed at Wizard and sold raw. They aren't impossible to find and show up periodically as raw books on eBay. I don't know when in the process the sticker was applied but it doesn't look likely to peel off. Nice thing is that Wizard doesn't do them anymore so once you get the one you are looking for, you don't have to look anymore.

(shrug) It is what it is. The whole variant issue is pretty muddled across the board and there are endless threads full of differing opinions. You've got Whitman reprints, JC Penny reprints, Wizard Authentics, DF Signed with COAs and probably more. I don't have much of an opinion on whether they warrant variant status. They're just another issue to track down for completists or to be ignored by more sane people. :insane: