• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attention Architect - anon postings

14 posts in this topic

Hey Starchie Standrews! (aka Arch!),

(A free FIGHT #60 in nicer than you would expect condition (1949 Fiction House with Tiger Girl fighting lions on cover to the first person who gets the Starchie Standrews reference). I'll even pay shipping!

Why are we still allowing anonymous posting in comics? Why? Oh ::sob:: why?

A free FIGHT #60 in nicer than you would expect condition (1949 Fiction House with Tiger Girl fighting lions on cover to the first person who gets the Starchie Standrews reference.

Man, this is tougher to understand than the CGC trivia. grin.gif

Other than the obvious similarities of the names, I'm not sure of the connection. Does Arch write for MAD?

Okay, Arch - Archie Andrews - Starchie Standrews (was that in MAD?).

I don't want questions! lol. I want a definitive answer. Meaning title and number from when Mister Standrews originated.

PS to everyone - not just to CI - if the book is not up your alley, would be nice if you let it alone for those who may want it for their collection! I would hate to see it put up on ebay afterwards. But do what you will, all. In its current condition it would OS at about $50.

I popped it into google and there's a page on starch digestion at standrews.austin.tx.us on the web. Do they even realize the connection to Archie? Perhaps it's their logo -- a red-head learning about starches.

It does sound like a Mad parody, all right.

And in a different search, I found a site with a Batman Life magazine! (and lots of Archies).

http://www.heanosantiq.com/books.htm

Okay, June 1954, Mad Magazine #12

-- Joanna

Yeah, Starchie was in MAD #12, and I bought the color reprint edition that was attached to a 70's MAD magazine. Classic stuff, and also featured The Lone Stranger and some Popeye take-off I believe.

The Starchie stuff is very dark (even for MAD) and has the Riverdale gang as reprobates/thugs, Betty and Veronica as (cough) loose women, and Principal Weatherbee as a lecherous perve.

I'm pretty sure I read it in a reprint. I loved Mad as a kid (even memorized some of the filked songs) and my crowning glory was when I finally saved enough money to get a subscription. My brothers were always trying to steal my Mad (and they wouldn't contribute anything toward my subscription price) so I had a Rent-A-Mad service where, if they paid me a dime, I'd let them read it. I didn't come out ahead, but the dimes helped.

-- Joanna