• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Comics

66 posts in this topic

I've started to pick up some early Valiant titles, because I can still find them for cheap and I'm suddenly intrigued by them now (after completely ignoring them when they were originally released).

Way back in the day I DID pick up the Solar tpb with the BWS stories and I remember really being impressed with it... But I'm completely unfamiliar with the rest of the run and other titles...

Would enjoy hearing some thoughts on the company...

I really enjoyed the first 10-12 issues of Magnus, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong, Shadowman and X-O. I didn't read any other titles, and I quit reading around the time of the Ninjak #1 debacle. I also didn't really understand Unity very well. Pre-Unity, of what I read, was as good as anything being published at the time.

Yup, during that era i.e, early 90s, Image comics had amazing artwork (minus Rob) but Valiant had great writers plus Jim Shooter to helm the Valiant ship. I really enjoyed the early Solar and Archer & Armstrong books. Still reread them once a while

My favourite books from the company...

- The pre-Unity issues of Solar, Magnus Robot Fighter and X-O Manowar. Agree that Solar 1-10 was Shooter's best work here.

- The early issues of Archer and Armstrong by BWS.

- I found Shadowman an okay read for most of its run.

I love early Valiants as well as later issues of titles like Timewalker and Eternal Warrior.

I tried to win this lot over the weekend, but lost out by about $20. 20 of the gold/red incentives (including some harder to find ones) for under $7 a pop shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220639843485&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I love early Valiants as well as later issues of titles like Timewalker and Eternal Warrior.

I tried to win this lot over the weekend, but lost out by about $20. 20 of the gold/red incentives (including some harder to find ones) for under $7 a pop shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220639843485&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HOLY!

The Eternal Warrior 1 Gold Flat alone would have made that entire pile worth the cost if it is a 9.8 copy.

HOLY!

if it is a 9.8 copy.

That, sir, is a big if.

I really enjoyed the first 10-12 issues of Magnus, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong, Shadowman and X-O. I didn't read any other titles, and I quit reading around the time of the Ninjak #1 debacle. I also didn't really understand Unity very well. Pre-Unity, of what I read, was as good as anything being published at the time.

What was the Ninjak debacle?

Yes, and a Turok debacle, and a Dr. Mirage debacle, and a Armorines debacle, and a Psi Lords debacle...etc...

Yes, and a Turok debacle, and a Dr. Mirage debacle, and a Armorines debacle, and a Psi Lords debacle...etc...

Exactly. Just the fact that they printed 800,000 or 1,000,000 or some ungodly number of #1s and it was utter trash.

Exactly. Just the fact that they printed 800,000 or 1,000,000 or some ungodly number of #1s and it was utter trash.

This discussion motivated me to go and have a look at the Valiantfans website, to refresh my memory about the Turok debacle.

According to the site, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter 1 had a print run of 1.7 million copies, a figure that has been officially confirmed by Acclaim. Didn't realise it was quite that high. Getting a little too ambitious and greedy, mid 1993, at the tail end of the speculator boom.