• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Comics

66 posts in this topic

I heard Darkhorse is revamping some of these titles. Is that correct?

Magnus, Solar and Turok.

Reviewers of the new Solar comic sounded very unimpressed.

I didn't order the book because I've cut back on purchases of new comics and my LCS didn't get any copies in, so I haven't even been able to have a look at it. If the work in it is any good I'll eventually get the trade paperback.

Magnus is out this week, Turok in a few months.

I heard Darkhorse is revamping some of these titles. Is that correct?

Magnus, Solar and Turok.

Reviewers of the new Solar comic sounded very unimpressed.

I didn't order the book because I've cut back on purchases of new comics and my LCS didn't get any copies in, so I haven't even been able to have a look at it. If the work in it is any good I'll eventually get the trade paperback.

Magnus is out this week, Turok in a few months.

All new stories are being written by Jim Shooter at Dark Horse, so it's a little surprising the reviews haven't been good.

If Jim Shooter isn't the right person to revive Solar, who is? (shrug)

All new stories are being written by Jim Shooter at Dark Horse, so it's a little surprising the reviews haven't been good.

I quite agree. (thumbs u

I was very disappointed by the reviews I've read for Solar which, after all, are only for the first issue and the FCBD # 0. As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait until the full story arc is out before forming an opinion.

I quite agree. (thumbs u

I was very disappointed by the reviews I've read for Solar which, after all, are only for the first issue and the FCBD # 0. As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait until the full story arc is out before forming an opinion.

Last time he had Barry Windsor-Smith doing the art chores, and those books WERE GORGEOUS. I haven't seen the new books yet, but BWS is a tough act to follow.

Valiantfans.com is the best place to connect with other Valiant fans. Valiantman on the CGC boards is the best resource I know although there are a lot of other passionate Valiant collector/fans. The ValiantCollectorsSociety website is also a good place to check out.

My favorite title was Harbinger and I really liked Rai and Bloodshot. I consider the pre-Unity Valiants one of the best written and drawn body of comics ever.

I was the first one to put together a complete CGC 9.8 run of pre-Unity Valiants and I'm still going. I'm just about done with a 9.8 run of Harbinger and I just started on my 9.8 run of Rai.

Valiantfans.com is the best place to connect with other Valiant fans. Valiantman on the CGC boards is the best resource I know although there are a lot of other passionate Valiant collector/fans. The ValiantCollectorsSociety website is also a good place to check out.

Just make sure you never have an opinion about anything.

(thumbs u

While on vacation in Coeur d'alene, ID, I picked up 2 copies of Harbinger 1 with coupons for 5 bucks a pop. One of them is probably 9.6 with a press and the other one is 9.6 without a press...not sure if a press will bump that one or not. Anyway, thought it was a pretty sweet deal. Any other books I should look for while I'm here?

While on vacation in Coeur d'alene, ID, I picked up 2 copies of Harbinger 1 with coupons for 5 bucks a pop. One of them is probably 9.6 with a press and the other one is 9.6 without a press...not sure if a press will bump that one or not. Anyway, thought it was a pretty sweet deal. Any other books I should look for while I'm here?

:applause:

Just be aware that pressing Harbinger #1 could be problematic because the spine of the cover likes to split open (even without pressing).

Just be aware that pressing Harbinger #1 could be problematic because the spine of the cover likes to split open (even without pressing).

No kidding!

I bought one last year that was a 9.0/9.2, and it had a slight bend to the upper left-hand corner that if addressed would potentially make it a 9.2/9.4.

Big mistake that I tried to straighten it out by putting the comic on top of a clean backing board, then put four backing boards on top of the comic for protection, and then I placed a 35-pound dumbbell on top of this.

I've done this before when there are minor bends, and it always works well. This time, the cover developed a crack at the corner like the paper was brittle.

No kidding!

I bought one last year that was a 9.0/9.2, and it had a slight bend to the upper left-hand corner that if addressed would potentially make it a 9.2/9.4.

Big mistake that I tried to straighten it out by putting the comic on top of a clean backing board, then put four backing boards on top of the comic for protection, and then I placed a 35-pound dumbbell on top of this.

I've done this before when there are minor bends, and it always works well. This time, the cover developed a crack at the corner like the paper was brittle.

The anti-pressing gods saw fit to punish you :insane:

I'm a big fan of the Quantum and Woody series. (When Valiant was Acclaim.)

I just got my Retailer Review #1 graded this weekend onsite in Philly.

I wasn't sure if they would grade it since the entire book is black and white.

I know other Valiant/Acclaim titles had retailer previews too, so if you want to slab them you can. (thumbs u

QuantumWoody1RPECGC98.jpg

QuantumWoody1RPECGC98Label.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Quantum and Woody series. (When Valiant was Acclaim.)

I just got my Retailer Review #1 graded this weekend onsite in Philly.

I wasn't sure if they would grade it since the entire book is black and white.

I know other Valiant/Acclaim titles had retailer previews too, so if you want to slab them you can. (thumbs u

Outstanding!

:applause:

And I had been told before they wouldn't grade these books.

Practicing a little thread necromancy this morning with some goodies found in the wild. Missing a lot of the early pre-Unity stuff, but just about every Valiant title is complete through the end of the run starting around the time period of X-O #15 and Magnus #16. The early part of these runs is easy to find, the later stuff not so much. Forgot how cool these were. The books pictured are 1995, which I still consider copper but your mileage may vary. Will scan more soon.

Shadowman42.jpg

Shadowman43.jpg