• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page quality collecting objectives and making exceptions

31 posts in this topic

It seems allot of folks only want to buy certain or specific slabs with "WHITE" pages and will pass on a slab with page quality of any other kind, which is completely logical.

So lets say you have set a pre-determined objective of putting together a particular run of comics from 1970 - 1979 time frames with a minimum CGC grade of X.X and white pages.

But now given how shipping costs have gone up for all carriers, on eBay a typical one slab auction is $10 to get to you.

What if you had a chance to buy 16 slabs all at the same time at a great price with combined shipping from a top notch seller, meeting the minimum CGC X.X grade, but 11 of the slabs had Off White/White pages and not WHITE pages.

Would you do it saving a bunch of cash to put into other slabs or wait for another slab to come around with WHITE pages. Anyone actually ever do this and then have buyer's remorse?

I can understand if the slab was a GA key or something unique, and that you wanted to have for just now but knew at some point in the future you would upgrade it. That is a different case all together.

I would buy them - CGC PQ designation is all over the board anyway. I take my books out of their slabs and verify what is actually inside.

there is probably no detectable difference in ow/w and white (by 99% of the collecting community), especially on anything newer than 1960 or so (thumbs u

It seems allot of folks only want to buy certain or specific slabs with "WHITE" pages and will pass on a slab with page quality of any other kind, which is completely logical.

Given that "white" can vary from book to book and given that whiteness doesn't always convey the actual quality of the paper, I wouldn't say it's logical at all.

Not logical at all.

Personal preference, perhaps, but given that CGC will grade the same pages three different ways to Sunday on a resub...and given that I bet you couldn't tell the difference between the majority of OW-Ws and Ws...logic doesn't come into it. (thumbs u

It's certainly their prerogative, but people that only collect "White" are really only collecting labels that say "White".

For me, setting such high standards for PQ only limits the potential to acquire a lot of great books.

It's certainly their prerogative, but people that only collect "White" are really only collecting labels that say "White".

For me, setting such high standards for PQ only limits the potential to acquire a lot of great books.

If you set white pages as your standard to "limit" the temptations of buying and you like the uniformity and the implied quality of presentation -- then seeing OW on the label may end up disturbing you.

Given that "white" can vary from book to book and given that whiteness doesn't always convey the actual quality of the paper, I wouldn't say it's logical at all.

Using that argument, is it more 'logical' to collect 9.8's as opposed to 9.6's ?

I don't think there is any argument that all 9.8's are NOT equal, the same for White. It's subjective, however, the premium for White is nominal whereas the premium for 9.8 is substantial.

My picture frames have to be white, unless they are a pedigree. My Timelys can be off white at worse. I'll never stray again no matter what the savings. I had a C-OW page Timely in my collection and it bugged the hell out of me to the Nth degree. :sorry:

Jim

My picture frames have to be white, unless they are a pedigree. My Timelys can be off white at worse. I'll never stray again no matter what the savings. I had a C-OW page Timely in my collection and it bugged the hell out of me to the Nth degree. :sorry:

Jim

:screwy:

Jim

What do you mean had?

:sumo:

Some collectors want the 'best' and they are now realizing PQ matters.

Comiclink has been pushing PQ for a long time now in their descriptions. To me the PQ says more about the preservation of the book than the grade. The structural integrity of books off the rack are random, however, the page quality is standard. Maintaining a straight off the rack PQ is not easy in a 50 year old book. It should be rewarded.

however, the page quality is standard.

Except that it's not always the case. I have a GI Combat that I bought from you that has absolutely bone white pages. I have other comics with "white" pages but they are not that white and yet they are both considered white.

Some collectors want the 'best' and they are now realizing PQ matters.

Comiclink has been pushing PQ for a long time now in their descriptions. To me the PQ says more about the preservation of the book than the grade. The structural integrity of books off the rack are random, however, the page quality is standard. Maintaining a straight off the rack PQ is not easy in a 50 year old book. It should be rewarded.

Interesting. I know I have looked at dozens of mid to low grade SA key slabs and can not recall any having "white pages" designation. Even majority of higher grade SA key slabs were pretty much at best Off White/White designation.

I wonder how unique "white pages" designation is for GA slabs in terms of driving up ultimate selling price for a particular slab, key or not :popcorn:

Jim

Thanks for sharing this experience. That is what I am leery about myself. I understand the principle of don't buy the label. But on the other hand, I am OCD where I like uniformity and standards. So the answer perhaps is a balance somewhere in between.

If you set white pages as your standard to "limit" the temptations of buying and you like the uniformity and the implied quality of presentation -- then seeing OW on the label may end up disturbing you.

That is a great point. It would also act as kind of a financial screener so to speak in terms of potentially saving money and me not wanting or having to buy every slab in sight all at once. Rome was not built in a day, nor is a particular run of slabs that someone may want to put together.

My observation of "logical" was merely at the surface level. Meaning if person thinks X, they will do Y. Not so much of the actual merits. But thanks for taking it to a deeper level and offering your input.