• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: MAD Magazine OA - Prohias, Aragones, Jaffee, Martin

12 posts in this topic

At San Diego comic-con in 2009, 1 of the other MAD artists showed up at the National Cartoonist's Society booth to sell original MAD huge (larger than twice up) art but not this July/10. He had origin of Spider-man movie #1 spoof pages drawn in the style of Drucker. Great stuff! Have never seen Aragones sell original MAD pages at SDCC.

Check out the current Heritage Signature auction that ends next week. I know there's a nice full Spy vs. Spy original Prohias piece there that's still priced reasonably.

It also has some cool Jack Davis art, too, if that's your cup of tea.

Have never seen Aragones sell original MAD pages at SDCC.

Growing up my three favorite things about MAD were:

Spy vs Spy

Back Cover fold-in

Margin Sketches!

I was fortunate enough to pick up (and split with a friend) a lot of marginal cartoons that came out in Heritage a while back:

http://www.collectingfool.com/published/aragones-mad199-marginals1.jpg

http://www.collectingfool.com/published/aragones-mad199-marginals2.jpg

http://www.collectingfool.com/published/aragones-mad199-marginals4.jpg

I had been looking for these things for years and never even got a hint as to where I might be able to find them. I saw Sergio at a NYC con after getting these and told him I was the buyer. He was a little upset. Apparently these were "accidentally" put in with a bunch of stuff that wasn't his and according to Sergio these are the only ones that are out in the public. He made a big stink with Heritage and the consignor and received the proceeds from the auction for this lot but was still annoyed they were "out there".

Check out the current Heritage Signature auction that ends next week. I know there's a nice full Spy vs. Spy original Prohias piece there that's still priced reasonably. It also has some cool Jack Davis art, too, if that's your cup of tea.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look.

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing the photos. :)

I'd be interested in seeing any OA for sale by any of my favorite Mad Magazine artists...

Antonio Prohias

Sergio Aragones

Al Jaffee

Don Martin

Please PM me if you have anything you'd like to sell.

I am also interested in these, even if it's just to swap stories. The main thing I'm interested in is original Al Jaffee fold-in art.

I wouldn't sneeze at Prohias, Aragones, or Martin originals either. (Nor, for that matter, Drucker, Davis, Woodbridge, Clarke, Rickard, Mingo, Freas...)

I had been looking for these things for years and never even got a hint as to where I might be able to find them. I saw Sergio at a NYC con after getting these and told him I was the buyer. He was a little upset. Apparently these were "accidentally" put in with a bunch of stuff that wasn't his and according to Sergio these are the only ones that are out in the public. He made a big stink with Heritage and the consignor and received the proceeds from the auction for this lot but was still annoyed they were "out there".

Those are awesome. I think I've seen all of those in the original Mads. Lots of great gags, and it's cool to see how Aragones submitted several on one page. (Which, conveniently enough, makes them perfect for framing for display.)

Too bad about the back story, and Aragones being unhappy with the sale. I tried to search the archives of Heritage to find the sale price, but apparently Heritage removed them from their database.