• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to sell an Action #1

50 posts in this topic

I assume most of the lucky few who own an Action #1 bought it years ago for both love and investment. Most who are devesting are doing so because of the increased value.

But if you wanted to sell it would it be enough to say that you bought it in 1974 for $2000 and now hope to get a million? Would that get press, bidders from outside the hobby, increased bids for a sympathy factor?

Here is my best story about how I got an Action #1.

My grandfather had a great deal of foresight in political matters. In 1938 he joined the army saying that he would see action in Europe once America joined the war effort. He was engaged to the woman who later became my grandmother and she bought him a copy of Action #1, saying that America would never be involved in another war and it was the only way he would ever see "action".

This story was told frequently around the supper table. I had long assumed that the comic had been thrown away perhaps seventy years before.

Grandfather got his wish and was lucky to return home after combat with Patton's outfit in Italy and Africa. He got work as a mechanic. He and his wife worked hard and had six children. My mother was the eldest.

Grandfather passed away first and when grandmother died a decade ago my mother, then in her fifties received little inheritance other than a small chest full of photos, diaries, inexpensive jewelery, and a few other keepsakes. She never looked at them very closely.

But Mom got sick and the doctor's bill's began to mount. We already sold the house to pay for her care. Soon I became her principal care giver and together we moved into a one room basement apartment near the hospital.

There was not much to do there except watch televsion. So I opened the chest, hoping that some of the jewelery was worth more than it first seemed. I planned to take it down to the pawn shop and use the money to pay for Mom's medicine. But what do you know-- there was an Action #1! If we sell it, it will be enough to get the house back and pay for Mom's doctor care, medicines and even an iron lung should it come to that.

I hope someone will try to out do me.

So you are asking us to make up stories about finding a copy of Action 1 that would increase it's saleable value?

I'm sure the folks paying a hefty price for a comic book don't really care unless it was 1koko's copy that he used to read in the toilet.

But if you wanted to sell it would it be enough to say that you bought it in 1974 for $2000 and now hope to get a million? Would that get press, bidders from outside the hobby, increased bids for a sympathy factor?

You want increased bidding? Just pray it's a REAL high grade copy. meh

My grandfather bought his copy of Action 1 which he took into battle in WW2

He was killed along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. My granddad was facing death, and he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive.

So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his copy of Action 1. Three days later, my grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to my grandmother, delivering to my infant father, his Dad's Action 1.

This book. This book was in my Daddy's backpack when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the comic book that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way my Dad looked at it, this book was my birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His . Five long years, he wore this comic book up his . Then when he died of dysentery, he gave a friend the Action 1. He hid this uncomfortable collection of paper up his for two years. Then, after seven years, He was sent home to his family. And then he gave me the book.

Brings a tear to my eye every time I tell the story.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The story is pure nonsense.

I don't have an Action #1 and I never will. I put this up because some of the stories I have heard about people unearthing valuable comics or collections are too pat to be true. They are the sort of thing that is meant to get publicity and nullify greed and envy. I made up the story very quickly but mixed in patriotism, endured suffering, money going to good use.

By the way, nobody uses iron lungs anymore. And if they did use them here, the government health plan would pay for them anyway.

I do, however, have a Detective #27 in near mint. I got it from my grandfather Yitzach Kahn who was Bob Kane's younger brother. Bob gave him ten copies which he put in a safe in his rooming house. He would bring out one occasionally to show the boarders. He was very proud of his older brother and told and retold the story of why Bob chose the name Kane over Kahn. Then one day in 1967, during the height of the Batman craze, some TV producers came over to the house and...

He was killed along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. My granddad was facing death, and he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive.

So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his copy of Action 1. Three days later, your grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's Action 1.

This book. This book was in my Daddy's backpack when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the comic book that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way my Dad looked at it, this book was my birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His . Five long years, he wore this comic book up his . Then when he died of dysentery, he gave a friend the Action 1. He hid this uncomfortable collection of paper up his for two years. Then, after seven years, He was sent home to his family. And then he gave me the book.

Fibber.

So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his copy of Action 1. Three days later, your grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's Action 1.

Fibber.

And just what don't you believe?

Thanks for the great story t3quila. You should be writing X-Men.

And that you Chestpirito for the pictures of the woman with the big chest.

Actually, thank you all for replying. This is the most attention any of my posts have ever gotten.