• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I list my TMNT #1 and Cerebus #1 for on ComicLink??

60 posts in this topic

OK. I was wrong.

But not by much.

Link

Still...you can't judge a book's worth based on a stupid price paid by one individual! tonofbricks.gif

You're right.

Judge it by the other 9.0 slabbed copies that have sold.

This is a first. No telling how stupid the bidding will be.

But I predict it *will* be stupid.

$3000 for a 9.0 is not going to happen IMO for the TMNT 1. With all due respect Dice, there ARE nice copies of this book out there. They are tough to find but out there.. but the usual "it's a kid's book, there are no high grade copies" argument is hogwash - this book's value shot up immediately so you know some nice ones were put aside. You'd better believe there are a couple 9.6s waiting in mylars. If it was a 9.4+, I'd be the first to say all bets are off.

The cerebus 1 could do 1500+ too...it's just such a shame that the sim files were just announced or that book could have gone REALLY crazyboo.gif

You'd better believe there are a couple 9.6s waiting in mylars. If it was a 9.4+, I'd be the first to say all bets are off.

The cerebus 1 could do 1500+ too...it's just such a shame that the sim files were just announced or that book could have gone REALLY crazyboo.gif

Hasn't anyone considered the possibility that Eastman & Laird also probably have loads of mint copies sitting in storage somewhere? After all, they were comic fans and collectors themselves and understood the back-issues market, so it seems likely they would have kept some of the print run for themselves, even if they never anticipated the kind of success the title would actually achieve. Or if they were too dumb to keep copies from the original print run, you'd think with their subsequent mega-millions they would have purchased a few pristine copies.

The cerebus 1 could do 1500+ too...it's just such a shame that the sim files were just announced or that book could have gone REALLY crazy

I actually listed both books on ComicLink back on Feb 13, about a week before the sim file copy thread was posted on this forum. However, Josh almost immediately deleted my postings from ComicLink because he felt my prices were 'unrealisticly high'. I originally listed them at $5,500 for the TMNT and $4,500 for the Cerebus. Of course, I would have accepted less.

Given the sometimes ridiculous multiples of other highest graded copies posted on his website, I thought it was commonplace to post for stupid multiples. In fact, I thought it was my duty smile.gif. Guess I was wrong as I'm still waiting for him to reinstate my ability to list books on ComicLink.

So in reality, I had the timing perfect. I just didn't realize Josh was 1) deleting "For Sale" postings that he thinks are too expensive: 2) removing access to list books on ComicLink for people that previously listed books he feels are too expensive.

Either I missed this in his "Terms & Conditions" or it sould be added. I guess its his website, so he is empowered to do whatever he wants...

He told me he will reinstate me ability to list CGC Graded books as

long as I check with him on prices prior to listing any new books. However, I'm still waiting for him to reinstate my ability to list books on ComicLink.

bhampel

Hasn't anyone considered the possibility that Eastman & Laird also probably have loads of mint copies sitting in storage somewhere?

True, but it doesn't mean they are going to show up anytime soon... Its all hearsay until they admit to the existence of file copies or until they start selling them off.

You have got to be kidding me. Who died and made him Bob Overstreet?

The cerebus 1 could do 1500+ too...it's just such a shame that the sim files were just announced or that book could have gone REALLY crazy

I actually listed both books on ComicLink back on Feb 13, about a week before the sim file copy thread was posted on this forum. However, Josh almost immediately deleted my postings from ComicLink because he felt my prices were 'unrealisticly high'. I originally listed them at $5,500 for the TMNT and $4,500 for the Cerebus. Of course, I would have accepted less.

Given the sometimes ridiculous multiples of other highest graded copies posted on his website, I thought it was commonplace to post for stupid multiples. In fact, I thought it was my duty smile.gif. Guess I was wrong as I'm still waiting for him to reinstate my ability to list books on ComicLink.

So in reality, I had the timing perfect. I just didn't realize Josh was 1) deleting "For Sale" postings that he thinks are too expensive: 2) removing access to list books on ComicLink for people that previously listed books he feels are too expensive.

Either I missed this in his "Terms & Conditions" or it sould be added. I guess its his website, so he is empowered to do whatever he wants...

long as I check with him on prices prior to listing any new books. However, I'm still waiting for him to reinstate my ability to list books on ComicLink.

bhampel

offer them to Investment collectibles (Steve is THE BEST, if not the damned FINEST Dealer on the East Side) for $x,xxx.00 (PM me for the figure I suggest- don't want to ruin future sales) the pair: you are running against SERIOUS competition from The Sim file copies, signature series too right?? Making them all at once more money sucking than the Vancouver Collection. Additionally, that TMNT will be hard to beat but unquestionably rare. You'll be able to do more with the money NOW ( like by a sim copy of a higher number for posterity, I think all collectors should have one) than you will if other HG copies turn up and drag your numbers. Savvy investors and even Real Fans of these books might pay up to $x,xxx.00 (again PM-) for the pair. Both titles will have the majority of their numbers CGC graded, just for the authenticity alone. And when dabblers, cardvestites, and weekend warriors get their money counters on the copies that are left in collections, the books might be NM, but they won't wear GLOVES, they won't transport them with TLC, they won't care when their part time employee/helper/stalker sets her soda on them (while bagging and boarding), or props her dainty feet on them while painting her toenails (again while bagging and boarding) or of course the boys helping and taking a lunch break for PIZZA (while bagging and boarding!!), so are why are we still bagging and boarding when there is CGC????

In other words, more copies will circulate now, but the quality dwindles when you add viewing, buying, transorting, packing, shipping, opening, reviewing, etc. You will lose half the high grades just by people overgrading and sending them to CGC without proper shipping practices (why would I SAY that?). Crunches, dings, and things that go BUMP in the night !! So the higher grades will be elevated even further by the gap left because we are dealing with low print statistics anyway.

Well.. it's his site.... I could see how he might feel it would ruin his repuation to have overly high prices on comic link. The prices set by sellers on comic link do partially reflect on josh.

That's a good point about eastman and laird being collectors and possibly having file copies. But they are multi, multi millionaires... and while dave sim isn't broke (he's mentioned he owns his office premises outright so he must at least have reasonable financial means) he's nowhere near their league money wise.

The turtles spawned video games, toys, two cartoon shows, three or four movies... the list of licensed turtles merchandise is nearly endless and kevin and peter must be very rich men by now and getting richer all the time.

They may have file copies, they may not. But one thing's for sure... they don't need money. So even if file copies exist, who's to say they will make it to market? 893naughty-thumb.gif

bhampel

This really pissed me off. Josh has alot of 893censored-thumb.gif nerve telling people what they can list their books for ! - True it is his site and in one respect he is commended for thinking of doing this site before CGC was around. But it is not his job to decide what prices the books that DO NOT BELONG TO HIM should be posted at...hey, if some seller wants to lists his books for 5,000 and it's a twenty dollar book, then it won't sell. that is the facts. But to censor prices is not only wrong, it's hipocritical. - Batman 181 9.4 for 2200 is an acceptable price ?! - Hello fellow DC collectors, are any of you guys lining up to pay that ??! - I think not.

I have gotten more aggresive prices selling stuff on Josh's site than i felt i would have gotten on Ebay. So let the guy list what prices he wants, then if someone makes a bid that he feels is reasonable, then the book gets sold. and everyone is happy -

i agree with what mike is saying,didnt greggys amaz spiderman#101 cgc 9.8 go for 5k and before it sold didnt josh say somthing like it was to priced to high? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not too high to list at that price, just too high for him to pay it. He originally tried to buy it directly from greggy without listing it, but since he wasn't willing to foot 5K, he just listed it at that instead.

That's a good point about eastman and laird being collectors and possibly having file copies. But they are multi, multi millionaires... and while dave sim isn't broke (he's mentioned he owns his office premises outright so he must at least have reasonable financial means) he's nowhere near their league money wise.

The turtles spawned video games, toys, two cartoon shows, three or four movies... the list of licensed turtles merchandise is nearly endless and kevin and peter must be very rich men by now and getting richer all the time.

They may have file copies, they may not. But one thing's for sure... they don't need money. So even if file copies exist, who's to say they will make it to market? 893naughty-thumb.gif

William Gaines was a millionaire too, and certainly didn't need the money from selling his EC file copies, but eventually he did release them. Lots of high net worth individuals sell collectibles at some point even though they don't need the money. I'm not saying that Eastman or Laird will release their copies anytime soon, I'm just saying that there's a high probability that file copies do exist and probably will come onto the market someday. In stock market parlance, there is an "overhang" which investors should be aware of, because if the overhang gets released it could affect the market by changing the supply side of the equation.