• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Editions?

9 posts in this topic

I'm curious if any of you who collect Canadian Editions have run into instances where it appears that at least the front covers might have been printed in the USA? I have a Canadian Edition of Phantom Lady that says printed in USA on the inside cover but the interior pages clearly state it is a Canadian Edition. Do any of you have a Canadian Edition of Phantom Lady?

I have never seen a Canadian edition Phantom lady like you have where the cover is identical.

I owned a Phantom Lady 17 once with a completely different cover. I only figured out the contents from contacting others, as the numbering was different as was the publisher.

I'll ask around my Canadian comics authority.

BTW, does your #14 state the publisher as Fox?

The PL14 download at http://www.goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=11417 has the same made in the USA look with printing on some of the interior pages noting the interior was printed in Canada.

Someone familiar with the postwar history of American comics printed in Canada hopefully can shed some light on the scarcity of these books and their cross border pedigree.

Here is a Canadian Ed. with a slightly different cover...'I will double check,but

think it was printed in Toronto.I have a few dozen GA Can Eds. I will take a look

at for you.It may take me a bit though!

Jimmers

002.jpg

The PL14 download at http://www.goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=11417 has the same made in the USA look with printing on some of the interior pages noting the interior was printed in Canada.

Someone familiar with the postwar history of American comics printed in Canada hopefully can shed some light on the scarcity of these books and their cross border pedigree.

Thanks Jim I didn't think to check the downloads. This is exactly what I have. Ron, yes, it does say that it is published by Fox. It's weird how the interior says printed in Canada but the interior cover says printed in USA. Another weird thing is would a C.E. be printed in the exact same month as a US edition? I would have thought there would have been some lag but maybe not.

I'm curious if any of you who collect Canadian Editions have run into instances where it appears that at least the front covers might have been printed in the USA? I have a Canadian Edition of Phantom Lady that says printed in USA on the inside cover but the interior pages clearly state it is a Canadian Edition. Do any of you have a Canadian Edition of Phantom Lady?

Interesting. I have owned three different copies of Blule Beetle #50 in the past and each has had the same identical markings, wiht typically inferior canadain priniting. And I have never seen a copy that stated that the pages were printed in the United States, nor that the covers were printed in Canada.

I speculate that these are the only extant copies, but equally I would be fascinated to be proven wrong - - perhaps something went wrong with the original print runs, by which time the templates had been shipped off to Canada.

I would be interested to know if any PL or BB collector out there has copies which differ from this strange marriage of cross border printing!

Interesting. I have owned three different copies of Blule Beetle #50 in the past and each has had the same identical markings, wiht typically inferior canadain priniting. And I have never seen a copy that stated that the pages were printed in the United States, nor that the covers were printed in Canada.

I had a copy of BLUE BEETLE 50 that I got from a boardie that had the same markings(interior "printed in Canada", etc.). I sold it to another boardie recently.