• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After price variants, color variants ?

22 posts in this topic

Everybody knows today about the price variants but there was a time that, except for the famous Star Wars #1 35c variant edition, most of them were not considered as a different book, rather than a curiosity or a variant indeed.

Shouldn't the same apply to color variants ? Today, except for the famous FF #110, there is not much recognized. Why ? I see very often two books that look very different. The other hobbies (stamps, cards) recognize color variants, why not comic books ?

Personally, I recently began collecting copies with color variants of the titles issues I do like.

Here are two examples and I am sure many of you could provide this thread with many others:

Silver Surfer #2: blue version vs violet version

blue.jpg

violet.jpg

Conan #1: dark version vs brown version

conan1a.jpg

Conan1CGC2.jpg

could a lighter color book be because exposure to UV rays and sunlight?

(like in that surfer book) the red color fades faster than others in light exposure.

or it could be like you think a lighter color strike.

hm

On the Surfer it looks like the blue plate was running low. I've got several books that are similar. The Conan, on the other hand, looks like a difference in the brightness setting on the scanner. Look at the CGC label on the 2nd one; that's so bright it burns my eyes.

On the Surfer it looks like the blue plate was running low. I've got several books that are similar. The Conan, on the other hand, looks like a difference in the brightness setting on the scanner. Look at the CGC label on the 2nd one; that's so bright it burns my eyes.

Hi Stronguy,

For the Conan, it's not a scanner effect, I own a CGC 9.4 of the dark version and a 9.2 of the brown version and I can tell you that they look in hand like what you see in the scans here.

I agree with the Silver Surfer and other books that have lot of blue on cover. Sometimes the blue toner plate become low and you have a purple or violet cover instead. Still, that look like two different books.

I don't have scans, but the 1974 Sandman book has a blue cover and a lavender one.

Yes, they do. One of the lavender ones was one ebay forever with a ridiculously high BIN. Don't know if it's still there.

I have a copy of Ex-Mutants #1 (Malibu) with the title lettering in white instead of yellow, have never seen another copy like it, online or off. I thought of adding it as a variant to the Comic Book Database but didn't think it was worth the effort. I believe I have a few other odd colored comics but off the top of my head can't name them.

Well I called Overstreet on this subject a few years back specifically on the SS #2.

What I was told was that the books are not separate variants.

They are all part of the same printing run and that on occasion a colors at the end of the printing process run out.

the most recent book that i have noticed is new mutants 87/ I have had some that were very orange and some that were a very deep red. Sorry no scans, as i don't currently have them.

The same is true for Judge Dredd #1.

I don't have scans, but the 1974 Sandman book has a blue cover and a lavender one.

Yes, they do. One of the lavender ones was one ebay forever with a ridiculously high BIN. Don't know if it's still there.

Yep, there is a copy on ebay. (Well at least it was there last week)

I have a copy of Ex-Mutants #1 (Malibu) with the title lettering in white instead of yellow, have never seen another copy like it, online or off. I thought of adding it as a variant to the Comic Book Database but didn't think it was worth the effort. I believe I have a few other odd colored comics but off the top of my head can't name them.

Ah ha, that reminds me, EC's Impact # 1 has two different colored logos, yellow and white. But this gets into the 1st/2nd printing question, as the first batch was pulped for substandard production. (I forget which color is which, a quick Google probably has the answers).

Its only the UPC versions Linky

Ah ha, that reminds me, EC's Impact # 1 has two different colored logos, yellow and white. But this gets into the 1st/2nd printing question, as the first batch was pulped for substandard production. (I forget which color is which, a quick Google probably has the answers).

That was due to Gaines farming the first batch out to Charlton for the printing. :tonofbricks: