• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Market Report Observations

37 posts in this topic

I got the new Overstreet yesterday and read with great interest the Market Report and would like to make a few observations.

1. I'm very aware that the key books are the big ticket items and big bucks give you bragging rights, however, enough already guys. One after the other you see what so-and-so sold this key for and that key for and this other key for, oh yeah, and THIS key went for blah blah blah blah blah. After a while it becomes mind-numbing.

I've got a suggestion: why don't all you guys just pull out your tape measures so we can settle this once and for all and everyone can move on to a topic other than Hulk #181, etc.

Tell me what FF #69 9.4 sold for, or a JLA #16 8.5. or WW #114 9.0, etc. Those books are where the real people live and not the occasional JIM #83 9.2.

2. The REALLY interesting sales are those that occur between collectors (everyone turn around in your seats and stare at who I'm talking about). It's a shame that there can't be an "Anonymous" report that flips over the rock of those sales and lets everyone see what's squirming around under there. I privately sold my collection in 2003 and none of those sales are reflected in the GPA. If you want to know what's actually going on in the ultra-high grade market, you have to know what goes on under cloak of darkness and not just the sales on ComicLink, Pedigree Comics or Heritage.

3. Maybe I missed it, but NO WHERE did anyone report on pre-hero monster Marvel sales. Or if it was mentioned, it was so minor as to seem non-existent.

4. Apparently, Marvel westerns don't exist in the market, because, with the exception of Terry's Comics making a blink-and-you'll-miss-it mention of Two Gun Kid, like the pre-hero Marvels, NO WHERE did anyone report on them.

As some of you know by now, I've become a champion of these books. TGK, RK, and KCO are part of the Marvel universe, and, in fact, pre-date all the superheroes yet they continue to be completely ignored. So much so that, there wasn't a single mention of Silver Age Marvel westerns anywhere - not even RK #17,22,45, KCO #100,107 or TGK #58,60,75.

I guess what that says to me is that more people buy Little Lulu than they do Rawhide Kid.

The mind reels.

I've got a suggestion: why don't all you guys just pull out your tape measures so we can settle this once and for all and everyone can move on to a topic other than Hulk #181, etc.

Tell me what FF #69 9.4 sold for, or a JLA #16 8.5. or WW #114 9.0, etc. Those books are where the real people live and not the occasional JIM #83 9.2.

:applause:

I remember this guy who went around to the shows in the early 90's who was buying up high grade 10 and 12 cent Marvel westerns. He was geting 'em for $5 to $ 15 bucks a pop.....I was SO jealous, but we were setting up and I couldn't search the boxes for jewels like that. I wonder if that guy still has them. There's nothing quite like being on a mission for scarce 50's and early 60's books that don't break the bank....if you can only FIND them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Take a look at the Overstreet Market Report and you'll see one dealer plugging his own website. The people at Overstreet need to really take a look at the market report. Dealers should not be permitted to use the market report to plug their own businesses- that's what the advertisements are for.

- Let me say on a positive note, I'm very happy that Overstreet has finally recognized War Comics- "The War Report" is a very good start. Perhaps, Overstreet will have a report for Westerns, Horrors, Mystery, and Romance in future editions?

Mark,

Please lay off the western front for a couple months. I am still building my collection and would like to be able to afford them for as long as possible. :baiting:lol

Thanks,

Brian

Mark,

Please lay off the western front for a couple months. I am still building my collection and would like to be able to afford them for as long as possible. :baiting:lol

Thanks,

Brian

We're in the same boat and I share your concern. However, I highly doubt my caterwauling is going to spark an explosion in buyers. What I hope is that my kvetching will shake some books loose that people have had stashed away.

My #1 mission is to find where the circle 10 and 12 cent Mass copies are.

Most the articles were about what they sold or what they think is the hot/cold trends. Reminds me of reading a stock market commentary. Can't miss with a AF#15 in 1 article. What AVG person can afford those now?

I think the articles should be more about new collections being discovered or something other than bragging rights of what they sold. A few articles have what they sold. HECK, I've sold more than they have (and a lot of other board members have) and they are writing articles?

The prices in the guide are way off for any KEYS and useless. I would like to find those 9.2 books they have listed for those prices in KEYS. I would buy them all right now for those listed prices. YOU CAN'T !!!!

Mark,

Thanks,

Brian

We're in the same boat and I share your concern. However, I highly doubt my caterwauling is going to spark an explosion in buyers. What I hope is that my kvetching will shake some books loose that people have had stashed away.

My #1 mission is to find where the circle 10 and 12 cent Mass copies are.

I've just tracked down a file copy of Rawhide 26 w/ certificate. I am waiting on a scan.

4. Apparently, Marvel westerns don't exist in the market, because, with the exception of Terry's Comics making a blink-and-you'll-miss-it mention of Two Gun Kid, like the pre-hero Marvels, NO WHERE did anyone report on them.

As some of you know by now, I've become a champion of these books. TGK, RK, and KCO are part of the Marvel universe, and, in fact, pre-date all the superheroes yet they continue to be completely ignored. So much so that, there wasn't a single mention of Silver Age Marvel westerns anywhere - not even RK #17,22,45, KCO #100,107 or TGK #58,60,75.

I guess what that says to me is that more people buy Little Lulu than they do Rawhide Kid.

The mind reels.

Patience, young Skywalker. All you need is for a few nice high grade copies to come up in auction and go for mind-boggling amounts, and then they'll get all sorts of attention. The key is that they get sold publicly, because mind-boggling prices paid privately won't generate the same buzz.

I've seen it happen in HG Ducks, HG SA DCs and HG BA DC Horror, and now it's happening in HG SA DC War, which has most definitely been flavor of the month. A few years ago it was very niche, but in recent years, a few collectors suddenly decided to make a concerted effort to to find early SA war books in HG and the explosion in prices caused people to realize how tough they were, driving more interest, higher prices and more supply.

Mark,

Thanks,

Brian

I agree. First it's Two-Gun Kid, and the next thing you know, it's Millie the Model! (tsk)

Take a look at the Overstreet Market Report and you'll see one dealer plugging his own website. The people at Overstreet need to really take a look at the market report. Dealers should not be permitted to use the market report to plug their own businesses- that's what the advertisements are for.

hasn't that always been going on since day 1, they plug books that they have and drive up the demand? hm:whistle::ohnoez:

:applause:

1. I'm very aware that the key books are the big ticket items and big bucks give you bragging rights, however, enough already guys. One after the other you see what so-and-so sold this key for and that key for and this other key for, oh yeah, and THIS key went for blah blah blah blah blah. After a while it becomes mind-numbing.

I agree to some extent with your rant, but to be fair it is a Market Report. They are reporting what has happened in their market, with their storefront or site or whatever. So if they sold something for X they should report it, and that is all they really can report without getting into sheer speculation that isn't really first-hand market information. They are in business to make money, so if their buyers want 100 copies of Hulk #181 that is what they will try to provide. It shouldn't be surprising that most of the report is on the books that we all know sell well, because that is basically all that these shops are going to focus on selling.

While I too would like to read more about pre-hero Marvels and the like, those aren't the sexy books (nor are the Westerns or Little Lulu) and so they don't sell well to the throngs of folks looking for the latest Wolverine or Deadpool book of the month. That is the downside of flying below the radar. We have to come to the boards for intelligent discussion of the books we love and to get some market info.

And, sadly, as a collector of pre-hero Marvels, I can tell you that the prices for the HG stuff do just fine getting out of my comfort zone without any play in the Overstreet reports...

I agree to some extent with your rant

WOW! THAT was a rant?

Clearly the "Rant Standard" is as loose as eBay NM grading.

I meant no offense with the "rant" comment, I guess I meant it loosely and not in the standard of the boards. I am new to the boards and may have missed some protocol. Your point, does that work?

With regard to the market reports, I am finding more and more 'reports' containing the following:

1. General Observations (this is useless waste of space)

2. Reports from folks who are not dealers (do we really need another 'market report' from Maggie Thompson or someone working from CGC?)

3. Market reports from contributors that spend the bulk of their space on pimping thier store website/auction site/convention?

I think the editors of the OPG should do a better job of editing out the aforementioned and perhaps identify additional dealers to fill the void in order to add further credence to the Market Reports section.

Finally, since the advent of ebay, online auction sites, and the reporting of sales thereof, it was nice to see a few additional Market Reports from non-North American dealers. more please (thumbs u

2. Reports from folks who are not dealers (do we really need another 'market report' from Maggie Thompson or someone working from CGC?)

I agree. This stuff is (mostly and personally) a waste of time. On the other hand, I've seen some dealer reports that are so brief and contain so little as to be a total waste of time.