• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 50 shenanigans on Pedigree?

529 posts in this topic

Nothing surprises me anymore about the greed in this hobby.

It's in any hobby where money is involved. Comics is civil compared to some others--I've always heard horror stories about sports cards.

And, I agree that supporting a business that is known to have ethical issues is wrong. Unfortunately, we as consumers do it everyday. I see people filling up their gas everyday at my local BP gas station. While I decide to go elsewhere...they buy their gas from BP. I don't agree with it but I'm not going to judge them and say they are horrible people.

Off-topic, I know, but these are typically local businesses that franchise from BP. You're harming an unlucky neighbor far more than sticking it to BP, unfortunately.

BP hasn't owned a station since 2003 I believe. Regardless, they do not own any now. (thumbs u

Dude, it's not mud slinging, it's the truth. Quite honestly, the only time I bring this up about Doug is when people try to downplay it.

I don't think people need to keep after you specifically, but I do think your attitude is a bit cavalier as well about the whole thing.

Brian, the disbarment is true and is a horrible thing. I am not cavalier about it at all. And by mudslingning...I mean directed towards me which isn't really true at all. I'm not someone who will buy from anyone regardless of their past.

I just feel that I shouldn't be shunned for buying a few books from the guy when I admitted that I did. I'm not the only one here. Clearly as the OP is about someone who is repeatedly selling a very big ticket book with Doug.

And, I agree that supporting a business that is known to have ethical issues is wrong. Unfortunately, we as consumers do it everyday. I see people filling up their gas everyday at my local BP gas station. While I decide to go elsewhere...they buy their gas from BP. I don't agree with it but I'm not going to judge them and say they are horrible people.

Does it come down to you guys demanding that I stop buying books from Doug? Because that is what I think the masses here want me to say.

Or for me to join the fight and jump in to bash Doug as well? Isn't the thrashing he gets on here enough without me?

Brian, you don't know me well but I did buy a big ticket book from you recently. Was I nice guy? Did I pay on time and make an easy transaction with you?

I'm not a bad person because I bought a few books from Doug and came on here to say that I had no bad experience doing so.

As I said before, I bought 4 other books from Doug before I even heard of his troubles. I just didn't know about his past. Over the past couple of months I have learned from this site all the issues. I even talked to you about it via PM.

I'm not here to create enemies. I came here to make friends and join a community of people who have like interests as me.

If I was wrong in making light of the situation. I apologize.

broken record

At the end of the day it comes down to:

"Doug has really cool books I want to buy and if I have to blow this scumbag so I can buy them so be it"

The mind of a collector never stops amazing me. People buying from Doug should be happy about these threads, it either forces lower prices in Doug's auctions because of the reduced bidder poll or forces Doug to shill bid them up so they don't go too cheap.

At the end of the day you have nothing better to do than criticize others from behind a computer screen and that makes you no better than anyone. Think you can beat a dead horse any more? Jeez it's like you just go around and around in circles saying the same over and over that has already been said by others.

And you think by coming on this forum and bashing others (including me which your post certainly seems directed towards) makes you any better?

Ever hear if you have nothing nice to say...keep your mouth quiet? Or live and let live? I guess these are the types of things your parents forgot to include in your holier than thou training.

You follow your moral compass and i'll follow mine. I'll buy my books from whomever I prefer and if that doesn't agree with you...well you can :whistle: me. :hi:

Don't put quotes around something that was never said...at least by me.

Some of you guys on here act like you are 12...well what should I expect?...this is a comic book forum so it shouldn't be a surprise that some have the maturity level of a child.

Have you seen the Pedigree website? Do you see the amount of books he has for sale and how many sales he makes? See the new listings page....He has plenty of customers beyond me and my measly 5 books...plenty. Including the guy who this post and the FF50 is all about. Where is the hostility toward him?

I think you have a lot of work ahead of you if you intend on judging everyone who buys or sells from him. Perhaps you need to locate each person who deals with him so you can tell them how wrong they are and how bad it is for the comic book community. Good luck with that...

You think this forum can get back to discussing comic books instead of slinging mud? Sure, slinging mud is probably more fun but in the end...it makes you no better than anyone else.

I'll expect some more witty banter and bashing...whatever....the beat goes on

This is a great way to make friends! You keep defending this scumbag and you will learn the hardway that these boards will just roll over you. I'm wondering if Mark is a shill for Doug? :whistle:

:o

1. There's no "paying off an escrow" -- I'm not sure what your thoughts are, but money that is in escrow IS NOT THE ATTORNEY'S. It's not paying off a debt, it's not your money. IT'S STEALING. Pure and simple. Even if you intend to repay the money, the bottom line is, you can't help yourself to it.

I'm clear that it's stealing, I'm just trying to figure out why it's a fund in the first place. With settlement escrow, is the money supposed to go to the attorney and then directly to the client, or does it sit for some period of time? The word "fund" being used for settlement escrow is what's confusing me--I'm surprised they don't call it an "escrow payment" if the lawyer doesn't hold onto it for some reason.

It's not rocket science. Lawyer achieves settlement for client. Say $300k for ease of example. Lawyer is entitled to 100k contractually for services rendered. There will be subrogated medical providers who will get some of the bread as well. A lot of PI attorneys will do some negotiating to get this number down. the rest goes to the plaintiff.

The insurance company only wants to pay one time, so they get releases and the check is made out to include the attorney, the plaintiff and sometimes some or all of the subrogated parties. It gets signed by everyone and put in the attorney's trust account, which is subject to regulation, usually pursuant to state law.

the atty is supposed to make all disbursements and whatever is left goes to the plaintiff, usually after all of the subro is taken care of. Hank panky, if it happens, typically takes place after the insurance check is negotiated and before all final disbursements are made. It also allows for unscrupulous attys to "play the float" with other people's money and forces them to put people off, make excuses, do the no pants dance and then get in big trouble.

Dude, it's not mud slinging, it's the truth. Quite honestly, the only time I bring this up about Doug is when people try to downplay it.

I don't think people need to keep after you specifically, but I do think your attitude is a bit cavalier as well about the whole thing.

This is it exactly. When this thread turns into a bunch of Pedigree fans making a joke of it all, it needs to be restated for what it is, "it's not mud slinging, it's the truth."

Divad, I didn't mean mud slinging towards Pedigree or Doug. I meant mud slinging about me. But, I hear you.

I'm not a pedigree fan Divad. Please hear me clearly. I am not a fan of Pedigree and didn't mean to make a joke of any of Doug's past behavior.

Very very little of this thread has anything to do with you, you just don't see that.
(thumbs u

the atty is supposed to make all disbursements and whatever is left goes to the plaintiff, usually after all of the subro is taken care of. Hank panky, if it happens, typically takes place after the insurance check is negotiated and before all final disbursements are made. It also allows for unscrupulous attys to "play the float" with other people's money and forces them to put people off, make excuses, do the no pants dance and then get in big trouble.

Great explanation, thanks! Any idea what the average or maximum amount of time is for settlements to sit in escrow funds as the lawyer makes disbursements? Weeks? Months? Clearly two years is way over anything reasonable.

Brian, the disbarment is true and is a horrible thing. I am not cavalier about it at all. And by mudslingning...I mean directed towards me which isn't really true at all. I'm not someone who will buy from anyone regardless of their past.

I just feel that I shouldn't be shunned for buying a few books from the guy when I admitted that I did. I'm not the only one here. Clearly as the OP is about someone who is repeatedly selling a very big ticket book with Doug.

Does it come down to you guys demanding that I stop buying books from Doug? Because that is what I think the masses here want me to say.

Or for me to join the fight and jump in to bash Doug as well? Isn't the thrashing he gets on here enough without me?

Brian, you don't know me well but I did buy a big ticket book from you recently. Was I nice guy? Did I pay on time and make an easy transaction with you?

I'm not a bad person because I bought a few books from Doug and came on here to say that I had no bad experience doing so.

As I said before, I bought 4 other books from Doug before I even heard of his troubles. I just didn't know about his past. Over the past couple of months I have learned from this site all the issues. I even talked to you about it via PM.

I'm not here to create enemies. I came here to make friends and join a community of people who have like interests as me.

If I was wrong in making light of the situation. I apologize.

Dude, I am being 100% honest here. If you want to buy from Doug, go ahead and do it. It is not my place to say you can't do it and I am not saying you should stop. It is 100% your call. I am also not saying you are a bad person, I don't know you. I am just always amazed at how the collectors mind works and what they are willing to do to get their fix. I am also a collector and struggle with the same decisions as everyone else. It is a sickness ...

Great explanation, thanks! Any idea what the average or maximum amount of time is for settlements to sit in escrow funds as the lawyer makes disbursements? Weeks? Months? Clearly two years is way over anything reasonable.

It can easily take months, but it would take odd circumstances to be years.

It can easily take months, but it would take odd circumstances to be years.

I call Seananigans.

(tsk)

Thanks to transplant for saving me from more typing.

There are ethical guidelines for how quickly the money needs to be disbursed, but I don't know if there's a brightline rule.

It can take months, especially in complicated issues where you have a settlement going to an estate, and court approval is required for the division of the settlement between claims (let's say you had a wrongful death and survivor claims). A lot of it depends on the explanation set forth by Transplant. Let's say you have a complicated medicare or insurance lein or the court approval takes a long time, either way, there's explanation and justification if it takes months. The idea is, you get the client their money as soon as possible. I would say in a typical auto accident, you should take no more than a couple of months, but it can vary. We use an entirely separate firm to help us sort out medicare liens and have a fairly large staff to help us with this, but I work in mass tort mostly.

1. There's no "paying off an escrow" -- I'm not sure what your thoughts are, but money that is in escrow IS NOT THE ATTORNEY'S. It's not paying off a debt, it's not your money. IT'S STEALING. Pure and simple. Even if you intend to repay the money, the bottom line is, you can't help yourself to it.

I'm clear that it's stealing, I'm just trying to figure out why it's a fund in the first place. With settlement escrow, is the money supposed to go to the attorney and then directly to the client, or does it sit for some period of time? The word "fund" being used for settlement escrow is what's confusing me--I'm surprised they don't call it an "escrow payment" if the lawyer doesn't hold onto it for some reason.

It's not rocket science. Lawyer achieves settlement for client. Say $300k for ease of example. Lawyer is entitled to 100k contractually for services rendered. There will be subrogated medical providers who will get some of the bread as well. A lot of PI attorneys will do some negotiating to get this number down. the rest goes to the plaintiff.

The insurance company only wants to pay one time, so they get releases and the check is made out to include the attorney, the plaintiff and sometimes some or all of the subrogated parties. It gets signed by everyone and put in the attorney's trust account, which is subject to regulation, usually pursuant to state law.

Everyone signs the check before it's cashed

It's in any hobby where money is involved. Comics is civil compared to some others--I've always heard horror stories about sports cards.

All of my life, since I was a kid, I have been a witness (and a victim) of greedy people in the industry....and I have seen some really bad things. I guess all these experiences have left me a little cynical in regards to the greed factor in this hobby.

All of my life, since I was a kid, I have been a witness (and a victim) of greedy people in the industry....and I have seen some really bad things. I guess all these experiences have left me a little cynical in regards to the greed factor in this hobby.

Show me an industry or hobby where lots of money is involved that is not affected by greed.

A lot of it depends on the explanation set forth by Transplant.

Ahem. :baiting:

When has Michael ever been that loquacious, or that helpful?

I think he a ordered beer and had it delivered to the table when we were in St. Louis last year.

(shrug)

Show me an industry or hobby where lots of money is involved that is not affected by greed.

coin collectors are good people.

coin collectors are good people.

lol But still, (tsk)

I am just always amazed at how the collectors mind works and what they are willing to do to get their fix. I am also a collector and struggle with the same decisions as everyone else. It is a sickness ...

Your mind amazes me.