• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MONTREAL COMIC-CON * September 11-12, 2010

46 posts in this topic

Final guest list:

CELEBRITIES

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca - Star Wars)

Brent Spiner (Data - Star Trek)

Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian - Star Wars)

Elvira (Cassandra Peterson - television personality)

Kirby Morrow (Voice Actor - Death Note)

Maria de Aragorn (Greedo - Star Wars)

Noelle Hannibal (Star Trek)

FEATURED COMIC/BD GUESTS

Barbara Canepa (SkyDoll)

Wes Craig (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Dale Eaglesham (Steve Rogers: Super Soldier)

Larry Hama (Comics Legend)

Leonard Kirk (New Mutants)

Jacques Lamontagne (Les Druides)

Louis (Tessa: Agent Intergalactique)

Yanick Paquette (Batman, Inc.)

Darick Robertson (The Boys)

Denis Rodier (L'Ordre des Dragons)

Tim Sale (Comics Legend)

Ken Steacy (Comics Legend)

Cameron Stewart (Batman and Robin)

Marcio Takara (The Incredibles)

Kelly Tindall (Proof)

Herb Trimpe (Comics Legend)

Ethan Van Sciver (Flash: Rebirth)

ADDITIONAL COMIC/BD GUESTS & ARTISTS ALLEY

Guillaume Bianco

Benoit Godbout

Janet Hetherington

Terry Huddleston

Geof Isherwood

Philipe Kara

Michel Lacomb

Leo Leibelman

Gibson Quarter

Scott Redding

Ronn Sutton

Vitaly S. Alexius

Ahmad Ali-Jamshidi

April Anna

Simon Banville

Jean-Sébastien Bérubé

Carl Bois

Kate Bradley

Dale Camus

Karine Charlebois

Francois Chartier

Simon Chartrand

Chozen Studios

David Coacci

Francis Desharnais

Michel Falardeau

Reid Fisher

Emanuelle Gill

Legend of the Steel Breed

Nadim Mahi-Bahi

Mikaël

Camille Vezina aka MilloVerte

Erik Mullins

Jean-Pierre Norman

Salgood Sam

Richard Serrao

Jeff Simpson

Jimmy Suzan

Noumier Tawilah

VAAR

Jaimy Warner

ORGANIZATIONS & Publishers

Le guide des comics Héritage

Quebec Imperial Fortress (501st Legion)

Tothefuture.org

plus

EDITIONS LES 400 COUPS --- signing at their booth: Denis Rodier - Éric Thériault - Daniel Shelton - Albert André-Goulet - Michel Vaillancourt - Jocelyn Bonnier - Simon Labelle - Samuel Leblanc - Sébastien Fréchette (Sirkowski) - Sébastien Rivest - Francis Desharnais - Benoit Godbout - Michel Lacombe - Jacques Lamontagne

a contract authorized witness --- for signature series
. Thanks Kevin, and nope, I never would have guessed the meaning of that acronym...

I'll see you guys in a few hours - I did manage to get a table at the last moment. The quest for an FF #1 goes on!!!!

Good luck Brad, I'll see you there! My quest will be for a BB 28, not holding my breath...

Met Vorhees, Pickycollector and Dikran today.

Talked Herb Trimpe's ear off.

Full on, balls out con report to follow when r1970D2 gets home.

:devil:

a contract authorized witness --- for signature series
. Thanks Kevin, and nope, I never would have guessed the meaning of that acronym...

I'll see you guys in a few hours - I did manage to get a table at the last moment. The quest for an FF #1 goes on!!!!

Good luck Brad, I'll see you there! My quest will be for a BB 28, not holding my breath...

DIKRAN - good to see you again!

Too bad about the B&B #28. I sold the nicest 0.5/1.0 you'll ever see here on the boards a few months ago. I'm the local "king" of low grade SA keys. lol

Good luck with the hunt!

Met Vorhees, Pickycollector and Dikran today.

Talked Herb Trimpe's ear off.

Full on, balls out con report to follow when r1970D2 gets home.

:devil:

Good to meet you too. Too bad I was too bloody tired to hold an intelligent conversation and limit my mumbling. Perhaps today will be better after 6 hours of sleep! :devil:

And bring on those LEIA pics! :wishluck:

You missed MONKEYMAN by a few minutes and another chap whose board name I do not know...

This is by far the largest turn out at a Montreal con in YEARS!!! I hope we get half of that crowd today. For anyone interested, my prices will be slashed even further!!!

Ask for KEY ISSUES/BRAD.

How was it on Sunday? Had to go see Cake Boss at Place Des Arts

Smaller crowd, so it was probably a better day for those wanting to shop in peace, but still a good crowd all things considered.

My sales were strong both days, but they probably would have been better had I found the time to set up my wall display on the Saturday. Oh well...

Kevin, I hope you and Matt(?) had a good time! I don't recall seeing you on the Sunday.

I did --- man, what a change from 2009! Massive jump in attendance. Lots of happy fans and guests, the room was packed most of both days. Lots of room for small improvements but the Montreal Comic-Con is a show on the rise. Congratulations to Oscar and Alex!

Highlight - sitting with Brent Spiner as he was having lunch and talking about conventions and the growth of sci-fi fandom.

Lowlight - having a girl with a 1/2 table in artist alley yell at me in French (at 500mph) when I got upset with her for literally pulling the chair out from under Tom Fowler's butt as he was sitting down so she could stash it under her table for a friend.

http://joeshusterawards.com/2010/09/13/montreal-comic-con-thoughts/

Montreal Comic-Con thoughts

Late last night I returned home from a 2-day visit to Montreal for the third annual Montreal Comic-Con, which is owned and run by Oscar and Alex – otherwise known at most comic book conventions across the continent as the dealer MAJOR COMICS. Last year, some of you may recall, I went to the show to promote the awards and to accept books on behalf of CGC (the comics grading company). While there I had a great time at a solid regional comic show — attendance last year was a little over 2,000 — a good showing for an event of this kind in it’s second year. This year I returned to be a part of the MCC team and assist where I could.

On that note, I think this year EXPLODED. I’m not sure what exactly happened this year, but attendance figures are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 7,000 attendees. A MASSIVE jump from 2009. Many guests and dealers had their own opinion on what it was that made the show click – but one thing that I did hear that everyone in Montreal really liked and think mattered was the presence of advertising for the Comic-Con on Montreal’s subway system at one of the busiest stations in the city. Having Brent Spiner, Elvira and Billy Dee Williams, and to a lesser extent Peter Mayhew as guests certainly helped a LOT – all were big draws for the convention and there were a lot more people in costumes this year over last (the masquerade probably helped encourage young cosplayers). The addition of professional photographer Droo for professional photos was very well received by the Montreal fans and we worked to make it a streamlined process for all that seemed to work very well.

The advertised superhero wrestling was canceled before the event started. In my opinion, if it had gone forward there would have been serious issues with overcrowding and safety as the ring would have taken up a large part of the floor plan. That the ring was not set up before Saturday morning was serendipitous. It enabled us to shift the celebrity guests tables into a better controlled environment for autograph lines. I did not hear any complaints about the absence of the wrestling element. In fact, even those who asked about it seemed to think it was no big deal that it didn’t happen.

The presence of Tim Sale was certainly a big draw for many of the American art collectors I recognized who follow Sale around from event to event, Grateful Dead style. He had a long, healthy line for the duration of the event, as did Ethan Van Sciver, Darick Robertson, Herb Trimpe, Dale Eaglesham and many of the other comic pros that came to Montreal for the event. Montreal-based artists Yanick Paquette, Cameron Stewart and Kelly Tindall all had healthy lines and seemed very happy with the attendance and attention they were receiving.

The MCC was unique in that it attempts to bridge the wide gap between English comics and French BD… and from my perspective a lot of the gap was shortened by the presence of Barbara Canepa, who had long lines of French and English speaking fans there to see her to get their Sky-Doll comics signed and sketched upon. One thing that we noticed that was different between attending English artists vs. attending French ones was that the English artists would sign but charged for detailed sketches. Some, like Sale and Van Sciver did do free sketches in books if the time-permitted. French artists almost always sketched for fans who bought their books in the front of the books, producing fairly elaborate and in some cases full colour sketches for fans who brought them books to sign.

Les 400 Coups had a long booth with four stations at which creators signed and sketched in books and talked to fans. Robert and I were able to pass along their plaque from the 2009 ceremony and had a pleasant conversation with company reps about market penetration into other areas of North America, as Robert relayed some of his own personal experiences in dealing with the French BD distributors in an attempt to get product into stores. Hopefully we’ll have more to discuss on this topic as one of our goals is to get retailers across Canada information on how to order these great works for their own stores – or at least relay information to them and their customers as to what is available. The BD market is very Europe-focused and I think we’d all like to see some more awareness here in Canada as to the excellent work being produced.

One hopeful sign is the presence of La Gallerie Montreal – the store that sponsored Barbara Canepa’s visit and is now representing art sales for many Canadian artists from comics and BD. They are opening a second store in Paris, and there is some hope that the sister stores will help expose more work by Canadians to the European BD market and conversely to see the Montreal Comic-Con as a place to expose Canadians to more work by Europeans. This, I think, is the great strength of the Montreal Comic-Con — it is strategically placed to be the bridge between cultures and continents. There are many great festivals in Quebec that do this already, but to a strictly French-speaking culture. The MCC fits with our own perspective here at the JSA’s about inclusivity of promotion of all Canadian works regardless of language.

I was quite proud to be a part of the event this year. I ended up working most of the time in the celebrity autograph area, but I was also responsible for looking after the comic guests, and I brought along my assistants Matthew Allen (part of my Fan Expo comics team) and my girlfriend, the lovely and talented Ms. Debra Jane Shelly. They both did a bang-up job helping out this year and we loved working with the MCC’s other staff and volunteers! Bravo! The growth of this convention also requires a lot of changes and revisions for next year in order to make it better and smoother for all involved in the event – from the promotional side to the attendance side, but this was a great foundation on which to build an even better 2011 event.

------------------

Additionally (to this posting) I thought the show had a lot of per capita comics dealers in comparison to another great show - the Calgary Expo. There was a lot less manga/anime than usual, but that seemed to be met with an increase in the number of dealers selling toys and statues. Overall, the dealer area had a very flea market quality that defines a lot of the older, more traditional one and two day comic shows and I thought it worked here. Hopefully there's sufficient interest in this market to catch the attention of more vintage dealers.

The charity auction raised a fair amount of money for the local children's hospital, and Chuck Rozanski's presence was a surprise and he was an interesting host for the auction. Having these kinds of auctions are a great idea, but they need to have a devoted team of individuals working on them, and the dealers donating should not just dump the stuff they can't sell - the intent of the auction was to raise money to help people. The poorer quality the donation the worse the bids were. Conversely, great items also went for a steal. There were some art pieces that did well, but not as well as they would have if they had been previewed for more than a few minutes on stage. I ended up buying a Fantastic Four pin-up by Darick Robertson and a copy of the Quebec Heritage Reprints Guide.