• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic book series disturbed you?

67 posts in this topic

Walking Dead.

Though it was good the overall grimness of the book just began to leave a bad taste. I wanted to continue but found I was having to force myself to read the last few pages I did. It actually left me feeling uneasy...unquieted...and I don't like that feeling. I suppose that might be a hallmark of a well written story but....I think I would rather not experience those emotions. Might be that I had just become a new adoptive father...10 years ago I would have loved it.

Interesting how perceptions change over time.

Sounds like me, there were a lot of horror movies like Halloweens,Friday the 13th`s and Nightmare on Elm Streets I thought were cool to watch 10-15 years ago that now I wouldn`t let my 9 year old son watch. How our perceptions change as you say as we get older.

Walking Dead.

Though it was good the overall grimness of the book just began to leave a bad taste. I wanted to continue but found I was having to force myself to read the last few pages I did. It actually left me feeling uneasy...unquieted...and I don't like that feeling. I suppose that might be a hallmark of a well written story but....I think I would rather not experience those emotions. Might be that I had just become a new adoptive father...10 years ago I would have loved it.

Interesting how perceptions change over time.

Sounds like me, there were a lot of movies I thought were cool to watch 10-15 years ago that now I wouldn`t let my 9 year old son watch. How our perceptions change as you say as we get older.

Agreed 100%, and im with Shootydog. Now that I am a father I think about things a little different. (thumbs u

Definitely Crossed. Without giving too much away, the last splash of issue 1 stayed in my mind for weeks. When I got the trade I skipped it entirely when I re-read the series, not fun, especially for a parent.

The other horrible scene was in issue 6 I believe when one of the survivors told his story of what happened to his family. Again, incredibly horrific and just really, really sad. Both scenes had kids in them, and I think that makes it just so hard to swallow.

Otherwise, I thought the series was brilliant and I've read it through at least 3 times. I read family values and think it's terrific as well. I too read Walking Dead and enjoy it very much, but only Crossed and Preacher have me going to the shop the day of release, can't wait to read them every month (when Preacher was out).

Preacher had alot of really disturbing things as well, but in most cases things that were really bad happened to really bad people, and can be looked upon as justified. That's the difference with Crossed, because no matter how good of a person you are (or bad), you have no chance!

Jay

Definitely Crossed. Without giving too much away, the last splash of issue 1 stayed in my mind for weeks. When I got the trade I skipped it entirely when I re-read the series, not fun, especially for a parent.

The other horrible scene was in issue 6 I believe when one of the survivors told his story of what happened to his family. Again, incredibly horrific and just really, really sad. Both scenes had kids in them, and I think that makes it just so hard to swallow.

Otherwise, I thought the series was brilliant and I've read it through at least 3 times. I read family values and think it's terrific as well. I too read Walking Dead and enjoy it very much, but only Crossed and Preacher have me going to the shop the day of release, can't wait to read them every month (when Preacher was out).

Preacher had alot of really disturbing things as well, but in most cases things that were really bad happened to really bad people, and can be looked upon as justified. That's the difference with Crossed, because no matter how good of a person you are (or bad), you have no chance!

Jay

I think I'll pass. I just can't handle stuff with kids. There was an episode of Medium where a kid disappeared in a store. Later in the episode, the camera pans by a row of boxes in the store with large dolls in them, and there's the child's body, positioned as just another doll, packaged and ready for purchase. Doesn't help that my son is about the same age as the boy in the episode. Can't even watch frickin' Medium without seeing dead children.

Since the WC has "What movie disturbed you" thread,I thought I start a "What comic book series disturbed you" thread.

My pick is WE3 b/c I'm not a fan of dogs,cats,and other pets being used as weapons.

While I like the story,I couldn't read it again b/c it was pretty "nasty" :eek:

Its the only book I've refuse to read again.

i agree, and i'd add pride of bahgdad. anything with animals gets me every time

Jay

I think I'll pass. I just can't handle stuff with kids. There was an episode of Medium where a kid disappeared in a store. Later in the episode, the camera pans by a row of boxes in the store with large dolls in them, and there's the child's body, positioned as just another doll, packaged and ready for purchase. Doesn't help that my son is about the same age as the boy in the episode. Can't even watch frickin' Medium without seeing dead children.

Wow, mental note to NEVER watch medium.

As many of you have stated, it's amazing how much your thoughts change when you have your own children. I think it's part of the reason Cormac McCarthy's The Road was so moving for me. My son was 6mo. old and I could all of a sudden relate to the book.

I'll never pick up CROSSED and I'll quickly exit any sales thread with that in it.

I found Faust disturbing when I first read it.

Found Kick disturbing too.

F@g.

I've never read that.

(shrug)

102374.jpg

This comic disturbed me more than most other gory graphic styled books have done.

Even though before I read it, I knew exactly what was going to happen

I couldn't help but get emotional on the story in this book.

You have to know that anyone that was reading this book month to month

was about to die for issue 122 to see the conclusion.

To me this is one of the most infamous death book keys in comic book history

and is a must read for anyone that is a fan of comics.

(thumbs u

I don't think I'll ever re-read the title "Verotika", especially #4 with "A Taste of Cherry".

Why? The series and issue titles alone make it sound appealing ;)

Too disturbing!

I just remembered that one - it was awful. Wasn't it about a father videotaping..., uhhh - never mind. Really depraved keerap.