• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking comments on Semper Fi by Marvel

10 posts in this topic

I am a DC war comics junkie but I have to admit Marvel really hit a home run with this series. It was only 9 issues but it was of a very high quality, both story and art. It's worth picking the series up.

Great. That's what I wanted confirmed. I am sure I can pick the whole set for cheap and have some fun time reading these. Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

...and Welcome to The Boards. Glad to make you come out and put up your first post!

I am a DC war comics junkie but I have to admit Marvel really hit a home run with this series. It was only 9 issues but it was of a very high quality, both story and art. It's worth picking the series up.

WTTB

Welcome to the Boards :applause:

Scrooge, I think I have some of these lying around. I can mail them to you for free as long as you pay shipping. I won't be able to check for about a week though.

Awesome, I believe I have some of the Ducks you were asking in ft88's thread. We can trade :thumbsup: Send me a PM when you find the books.

The only thing I can contribute is that I actively look for this series, and rarely find issues 3+ in dollar bins. I think it had a relatively low print run (counter intuitive, since we're talking about a late 80s Marvel title, but true). Not to say you can't find it (seems to be quite a few copies in eBay stores as of this writing), but it isn't a common book.

The only thing I can contribute is that I actively look for this series, and rarely find issues 3+ in dollar bins.

These came out post-The Nam (a fabulous series), and it was at the tale-end of the excitement that surrounded that series. So it didn't get as much attention, unfortunately. That may account for the low production numbers.

Where speculators bought up multiple copies of The Nam 1 (Dec-86), when Semper Fi 1 was published two years later, it was just a blip on the radar screen, and went away just as quick. I think folks assumed it was just taking advantage of The Nam excitement. It had a totally different creative team, which I'm not sure how they married the two series like that.

I'd love to find a high-grade copy of Savage Tales Vol. 2 #1, which has the 1st story appearance of The Nam.