• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newsweek profile of Fiction House artist Lily Renée Phillips

18 posts in this topic

A Real-Life Comic Book Superhero

In New York, Phillips and her family lived in a cramped apartment alongside other refugees. She scratched money together at after-school jobs—decorating wooden boxes, posing as a model, and illustrating the Woolworth’s catalog. Her mother pointed to an advertisement for a job in comics. “What do I know of how to draw comics?” Phillips said. “Just draw Tarzan and Jane,” her mother said.

3338162458_4456c6745c_b.jpg

Lily is in gold in the back row, looking rather stylish. Photo of Cartoonist at the Art Museum in Soho from Ms. Reid who brought her own little BZ home recently.

Front row: Hilda Terry, Valerie Barclay

Back row: Ramona Fradon, Lily Renee, Trina Robbins, Mimi Pond (a cartoonist who also wrote the first episode of the Simpsons)

All of them are known for their work in comic books.

Thanks BB-Gun. I didn't know Lily Renée Phillips did those incredible Planet covers. Does Overstreet Annual give her any credit for her work? I was actually unfamiliar with Ms. Philips name as an artist. It's really cool that a woman in a male dominated industry contributed GGA covers. I'm going to try to remember her name now, L. Renee.

3373444225_c47d2a6a1d.jpg

Magnificent covers and beautiful GGA drawings to both those Planet #33 and #39. Re: Issue #39- I cannot help but notice the very long, smooth legs of that blond babe in the mini-skirt, with a stark expression of pure panic on her face, gracefully complimenting the cover. I'd like to have one slabbed in high grade, but then again, who wouldn't, or better yet, to have the original art framed up. And #33 is simply awesome.

:makepoint:

Magnificent covers and beautiful GGA drawings to both those Planet #33 and #39. Re: Issue #39- I cannot help but notice the very long, smooth legs of that blond babe in the mini-skirt, with a stark expression of pure panic on her face, gracefully complimenting the cover. I'd like to have one slabbed in high grade, but then again, who wouldn't, or better yet, to have the original art framed up. And #33 is simply awesome.

I guess I was staring at the girl's legs too long and became confused. Issue #33 has the babe in red, and #39 is simply awesome. Serves me right for ogling L. Renee's art work. Forgive my confusion please.

What a great article, thanks so much for posting it:) I think I figured out my next collecting focus. I'd already been looking for some Tarpe Mills:)

Tarpe drew the Purple Zombie for Heroic which isn't my favorite hero but is one of my favorite titles for a strip. Ranks up there with the Green Turtle from Blazing.