• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery Men #2, 1939, One of the earliest Robot covers, SOLD!

25 posts in this topic

For sale is a lower grade copy of a wonderful Fox book from 1939. Mystery Men #2. The book presents nicely, cover colors are excellent, but the front cover and first page are detached from the rest of the book. It looks like the cover was taped or glued to the book and when it got torn off, the first page stuck to the cover. The first page is glued to the cover. I'll post a picture tomorrow morning.

Pages are light in color, there is a small split at the bottom that goes through most of the pages, but the rest of the book is very supple. My guess is that because of the split, you'd have to call them "slightly brittle".

According to Overstreet, this cover is tied for the 2nd Robot cover...kind of neat:)

Price is $250.00 and that includes priority insured shipping in the US, out of the US, pm me for cost.

I accept Paypal, MO's, Checks, and cash.

Pms are welcome, but I do go by time stamp (here or in a PM ) of when the :takeit: is posted.

mysterymen20001.jpg

mysterymen20002.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

I tried to take some more accurate pictures of the split.. As you can see from the centerfold, it does not go through all the pages (my error) but it's about ¾ of an inch on the first wrap, gets smaller as it goes.

I am also posting a picture of the first page so you can see it is attached to the cover.

With a little care, this book could be put back together nicely and you'd have an inexpensive but decent looking copy.

mysterymen2001.jpg

mysterymen2002.jpg

mysterymen2009.jpg

mysterymen2006.jpg

mysterymen2005.jpg

mysterymen2004.jpg

I'll be out for a while, as I am sure many of you are already;) but if you are browsing...just a bit more info. for those of you thinking of joining in the GA hunt.

It's a Gerber 7 (which means it's relatively scarce) and only 8 copies have been graded EVER...

Now THAT'S one ugly, primitive robot.

Sky, I can't hardly believe this book is still sitting here. Must be everyone's out playing softball or grilling or something.

(Catrick looks in his wallet, sighs, and goes back to his own sales thread, thinking dark thoughts about being broke)

Sky, I can't hardly believe this book is still sitting here. Must be everyone's out playing softball or grilling or something.

(Catrick looks in his wallet, sighs, and goes back to his own sales thread, thinking dark thoughts about being broke)

at least you have the wallet; my last creditor took mine.

I will get in line with all the other tire kickers, and well wishers.

Great, great book Sha, if I could, I would. But those darn kids of mine...always taking my play money.

:sorry:

Great, great book Sha, if I could, I would. But those darn kids of mine...always taking my play money.

Time payments...:baiting:

and thanks everyone:) I'll leave it up for a bit...I'd hate to put it on eBay because I'm sure someone here would enjoy it, so I'll let it ride for a day or so.

Time payments...:baiting:

and thanks everyone:) I'll leave it up for a bit...I'd hate to put it on eBay because I'm sure someone here would enjoy it, so I'll let it ride for a day or so.

i really wish i could...but with the 2 cons coming up i need to pay for printing my own comics...if not for that....yeah i'm gonna say it....i'd be all over the book.

Hee Hee!

I let my creditors take my wallet all the time, I was clever enough to buy them by the caseload during the LAST economic slump!

(Tosses wallets, all empty, to the waiting crowd)

a lawyer complaining about someone else taking his wallet?? Isn't that an oxymoron??? :roflmao: