• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Xenozoic Tales
2 2

243 posts in this topic

I've actually never read it.

I was reading something somewhere - here on the boards, and issue of Back Issue, Overstreet, etc. - about Mark Schultz and this series was mentioned.

I collected comics in the '80s so I was vaguely aware of him from C&D and a couple of the cards he did for Star Wars Galaxy. But never actually picked up and read anything he did.

Anyway, when reading whatever it was it struck me how much his art is like Dave Stevens, I really kind of liked it. And I've always liked anything related to the ocean.

But then I just never got around to looking for it at the time and when I started thinking about it again I couldn't remember the title or what I had read to spark my interest.

I'll have to check it out.

I was reading something somewhere - here on the boards, and issue of Back Issue, Overstreet, etc. - about Mark Schultz and this series was mentioned.

I collected comics in the '80s so I was vaguely aware of him from C&D and a couple of the cards he did for Star Wars Galaxy. But never actually picked up and read anything he did.

Anyway, when reading whatever it was it struck me how much his art is like Dave Stevens, I really kind of liked it. And I've always liked anything related to the ocean.

But then I just never got around to looking for it at the time and when I started thinking about it again I couldn't remember the title or what I had read to spark my interest.

If you like his art, check out this appreciation thread..

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8648684&fpart=1

Would this be Jack?

So who hasn't read Xenozoic Tales?

Xenozoic Tales #1-7, 9-11 (only missing #8, 12-14)

th_XT1_14set_ebay%20003_zpsigai4n9b.jpg

First person to PM me not on my "Thanks for stopping by - good luck on your travels" list gets them for free, with free shipping if within the USA. International forumites, blame the postal system financial planners. But I would still try to work something out, and the books are of course free.

:news: CLAIMED :news:

:whee:

Edited by Bosco685

Schultz was good in the first few..... and then he kept getting better.... and better..... and better...... and the story/concept was always compelling. I've read a LOT of comics.... and this series in my opinion, is one of the best ever. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... you should go out of your way to get these......

Wow! Now that was a steal.

:applause:

Schultz was good in the first few..... and then he kept getting better.... and better..... and better...... and the story/concept was always compelling. I've read a LOT of comics.... and this series in my opinion, is one of the best ever. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... you should go out of your way to get these......

You are not kidding. By issues 13 and 14, it was like reading comics that had been crafted by an entire staff of artists and writers versus a team of three. Even the backup stories are worth reading.

They really remind me of Al Williamson's art...

I see what you mean with that assessment.

awhlp3.jpg

awhlp1.jpg

I didn't realize they collaborated on two projects together.

'In 1995, Marvel released a two-part Flash Gordon miniseries written by Mark Schultz and drawn by Williamson, which was his last major work doing both pencils and inks. Also with Schultz, he illustrated the short story "One Last Job" for Dark Horse Presents #120 in 1997.'

And it turns out a few artists have mentioned influence from Williamson.

Williamson has been a stylistic influence on a number of younger artists such as Tom Yeates, Mark Schultz, Frank Cho, Steve Epting, Tony Harris, Jim Keefe, Dan Parsons, Dave Gibbons and Paul Renaud.

Mark Schultz on Al Williamson's influence

Was Al Williamson a big influence on you?

Schultz: A huge influence. Both as an artist and getting to know him as an individual and watching how he handled fans and behaved at conventions. How he was very good with people who would come up to have books signed and he was just a very polite, very generous man. He is a very polite and very generous man.

Schultz' work has huge influences from ECs finest, Williamson, Frazetta and Wood.. I used to collect all things Schultz and D Stevens in the 80s because they were the only 2 cats who got it down to a science.. If youre into his artwork I also recommend checking some of William Stout's work, you wont be disappointed!

With the recent success of Jurassic World I would expect Hollywood to come a calling and take a look at this great series!

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs had a video game and animated series,so there is a rule of 25 market that can be tapped into along with a new mainstream interest in dinosaurs.

Seems like a good bet to look at again.

hm

With the recent success of Jurassic World I would expect Hollywood to come a calling and take a look at this great series!

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs had a video game and animated series,so there is a rule of 25 market that can be tapped into along with a new mainstream interest in dinosaurs.

Seems like a good bet to look at again.

hm

I read an interview recently where Mark Schultz mentioned he has been approached quite a few times about movie rights. I think he is just looking for the right creative crew to do it in a way he feels Jack and Hannah are handled appropriately. And I would rather he follow that path than a mad dash for the money.