• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOW OFF YOUR # 1s

144 posts in this topic

secretorigins.jpg

What a beautiful book. I don't see this one for sale too often and I need a copy. The second one is much, much more common.

Thanks. The most amusing thing about those #1s is that none of them actually says #1 on the cover.

But do you know why DC refrained from this? (I do).

I don't, fill me in!

lla1a.jpg

what's "wrong" with this back cover?

lla1b.jpg

hint:

th_ll10.jpg

Most significantly, the cover price, I suppose.

Interestingly the other books had their price removed, but this annual came out in 1962 when DC was transitioning from 10 cents to 12 cents and for some reason they took the cover of Lois Lane 10 from 1960 and slapped the then 12 cent logo on the book, even though the current issue number was in the 30's at the time.

Thanks. The most amusing thing about those #1s is that none of them actually says #1 on the cover.

But do you know why DC refrained from this? (I do).

I don't, fill me in!

'Cuz they didn't think anyone would buy a first issue? I guess it's the same thinking that started The Flash at 105 maybe.

What, you don't want to see the first Canadian version of the OPG? In 1973 Overstreet made a version with no ads or back cover splash pages. It's a 1st... but look at the variant comics now. Every issue has a variant, same stories and wow another cover version. What are kid's allowances these days? I got $3 a week and comics were a quarter, coming out once a month.

I'll take pics of my two OPG #1's, ooh the blue cover variant. Night,

secretorigins.jpg

What a beautiful book. I don't see this one for sale too often and I need a copy. The second one is much, much more common.

Thanks, John. I think it's wonderful, too. One of the few superhero books I've kept after all these years. . .and for good reason. It ISN'T offered for sale very often in nice shape that I've noticed (not that I've been searching desperately), but for some reason, even though it's pretty scarce, it doesn't seem to command much $$$ respect. I kinda think its the beez knees.

secretorigins.jpg

Thanks, John. I think it's wonderful, too. One of the few superhero books I've kept after all these years. . .and for good reason. It ISN'T offered for sale very often in nice shape that I've noticed (not that I've been searching desperately), but for some reason, even though it's pretty scarce, it doesn't seem to command much $$$ respect. I kinda think its the beez knees.

Can you imagine being a young boy walking into the local drugstore and finding this on the stands? :cloud9:

I've got several of my #1s in other threads, but here are a few I probably haven't posted anywhere. I think I have four copies of Daredevil #1, but this is the best one:

dd1.jpgspideyannual1.jpgss1.jpg