• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying comic slabs from a hotel room

35 posts in this topic

I am unexpectedly on the road with my personal own laptop and staying in a massive hotel that has a wireless network. Its definitely not that secure as the SSID & key info are not exactly top secret. And as far as I can tell, the connection utilizes NO encryption or security.

There are a bunch of slabs on eBay that I wanna bid on. Has anyone been in a similar scenario??

Is it just dumb to do this or log into your banking account ,etc. and let this kind of info float through the air here ? My instinct is telling me anything else other than generically surf the web in this kind of situation.

What say you ? :popcorn:

Are you worried about someone jacking your eBay account? I would think the risks are minimal for that. Bid away.

However, I sure wouldn't do any private banking or anything like that.

Right. exactly.

Logging into your ebay account >>> That data packet containing your info gets beemed out into the air here and someone grabs it.

eBay has your credit card, bank account, etc. info within the account profile.

Good point - all I can see in mine is my home address and a canceled/expired credit card. So I guess at least I'm safe with the financial info.

The title to this thread is really misleading. I thought you had uncovered a secret underground slabbing ring run out of a Hilton or something.

:insane:

I thought he was meeting some stranger off of Craig's List to conduct some sales...., :lol:

Doesn't your computer have its own online security? Something like MircoTrend?

No. I have a MAC.

But when it comes to the transmission of data and data packets moving around, I do not believe suites like microtrend or norton can do much. I just feel much more comfortable with a wired connection because its much more direct and the data packets you are sending back and forth between a particular website like eBay is not beamed out or broadcasted through the air.