• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying comic slabs from a hotel room

35 posts in this topic

The title to this thread is really misleading. I thought you had uncovered a secret underground slabbing ring run out of a Hilton or something.

:insane:

I thought he was meeting some stranger off of Craig's List to conduct some sales...., :lol:

That's what I thought too lol

The title to this thread is really misleading. I thought you had uncovered a secret underground slabbing ring run out of a Hilton or something.

I thought he was meeting some stranger off of Craig's List to conduct some sales...., :lol:

That's what I thought too lol

I'd post the brown thumb greggy motel room photo, but I think he got that taken down - one of my favorite photos - I should have saved it :roflmao:

The padlock near the top when you log in means the info sent is encrypted, even if it is intercepted it's hard to break.

Good point. So eventhough my network is like the wild wild west, at least there is socket layer encryption on the actual site like eBay.

You talk IT with the packets and socket stuff. Seems you know enough to answer your own question. (shrug)

The padlock near the top when you log in means the info sent is encrypted, even if it is intercepted it's hard to break.

Good point. So eventhough my network is like the wild wild west, at least there is socket layer encryption on the actual site like eBay.

You talk IT with the packets and socket stuff. Seems you know enough to answer your own question. (shrug)

When it comes to wired connectivity and traditional web networking topolgies, yes I know a few things. However when it comes to wireless networking, I know pretty much nothing and have little experience at best with that particular medium.

When it comes to wired connectivity and traditional web networking topolgies, yes I know a few things. However when it comes to wireless networking, I know pretty much nothing and have little experience at best with that particular medium.

Kool. But again you know enough................

Its definitely not that secure as the SSID & key info are not exactly top secret.

Good luck. :hi:

I am unexpectedly on the road with my personal own laptop and staying in a massive hotel that has a wireless network. Its definitely not that secure as the SSID & key info are not exactly top secret. And as far as I can tell, the connection utilizes NO encryption or security.

There are a bunch of slabs on eBay that I wanna bid on. Has anyone been in a similar scenario??

Is it just dumb to do this or log into your banking account ,etc. and let this kind of info float through the air here ? My instinct is telling me anything else other than generically surf the web in this kind of situation.

What say you ? :popcorn:

Seems ok to me.

But grading books in a motel room by a certain grading company...not so much.

I would not worry about wired versus wireless for eBay or even banking as long as you are on your own machine. The encryption is browser to server. If you are on a hotel machine well then don't even log into the boards.

I would not worry about wired versus wireless for eBay or even banking as long as you are on your own machine. The encryption is browser to server. If you are on a hotel machine well then don't even log into the boards.

He said he was on his lappy. Then went socket, packets and ssid.

Fudge, Paris Hilton wants to steal comic books now.....

Who is your ISP when you're back at home? Verizon? Comcast? Odds are, you're safer from other people intercepting clear packets on the network from the hotel than you are from your home ISP if you're using one of the big providers. Let's say you're on Comcast...there are a bunch of wannabe gangsta kidz honing their hacking skills on their parent's cable plan who are more likely to get your data than the el-cheapo ISP the hotel is using. The thing to remember about the Internet is that hacking usually happens from far away, not in your general vicinity.

However, your bank is almost certainly using the secure HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTPS) to encrypt your data, and E-Bay and PayPal definitely use it, so whether you're at home, in a hotel, or in a crack ho's brothel somewhere in a seedy part of Detroit, you're safe. As someone else said, look for the lock in your browser, or look for the "s" at the end of the starting "http" in the address line, and if it's an "https://" address, your data is encrypted using a strength that would take so much computer power to brute-force crack that whatever amount you have in your bank account probably isn't worth that level of effort. Anyone with THAT much computing power would be going after big game, not small fish.

Who is your ISP when you're back at home? Verizon? Comcast? Odds are, you're safer from other people intercepting clear packets on the network from the hotel than you are from your home ISP if you're using one of the big providers. Let's say you're on Comcast...there are a bunch of wannabe gangsta kidz honing their hacking skills on their parent's cable plan who are more likely to get your data than the el-cheapo ISP the hotel is using. The thing to remember about the Internet is that hacking usually happens from far away, not in your general vicinity.

However, your bank is almost certainly using the secure HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTPS) to encrypt your data, and E-Bay and PayPal definitely use it, so whether you're at home, in a hotel, or in a crack ho's brothel somewhere in a seedy part of Detroit, you're safe. As someone else said, look for the lock in your browser, or look for the "s" at the end of the starting "http" in the address line, and if it's an "https://" address, your data is encrypted using a strength that would take so much computer power to brute-force crack that whatever amount you have in your bank account probably isn't worth that level of effort. Anyone with THAT much computing power would be going after big game, not small fish.

thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:

Think he already knows that :gossip:

Some good responses, but there is one thing to watch out for in this situation - "man in the middle" attacks.

Without getting overly technical, someone can set up a bogus router (usually a linux box) that captures your packets and sends them off to the outside world. This in itself is only bad for plain-text, and encrypted traffic is still protected. However, the trick is to make up a bogus self-signed SSL certificate for the different domains the person would be interested in, let's say things like paypal, ebay, etc, and attempt to get you to accept this cert.

Modern browsers will pitch a fit about this and put the decision on you to accept it as a security exception. Never do this. Once the exception for that site has been accepted all traffic from your computer to it can be decrypted and viewed plain as day.

Beyond that, being conscious about who may have physical access to your machine is a good thing. It's not unheard of to have someone accept the certs while the owner is not there or not paying attention.

So long as you have legitimate signed SSL certs to the https sites you use, you should be fine.

Psst! Hey buddy, wanna buy some slabs?