• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Cal Comic Con

72 posts in this topic

i most certainly wanted to go to the SoCal Comic Con. I've known Joel for over a decade now, and wanted to support his latest move in the industry.

Hopefully next time there's a SOCAL show from San Diego to LA, it will be scheduled on a Sunday, so i don't have a conflict with Frank & Sons.

I'm sure the event rocked, and i can't wait to see the pics!

Jimmy S. Jay...

JayCompanyComics & Promoter for the Amazing Arizona Comic Con

I attended the SoCal CC this Saturday and it was a nice little show (actually a bit bigger than the one held monthly at the Rose Bowl...more dealers here).

Arrived around 11 a.m. and saw the parking lot a bit packed. The place was busier than I was expecting which was cool and a lot more dealers than I thought. A good amount of sellers with CGC and GA/SA items and a good amount of smaller sellers selling from their collection with .25 and .50 bins that picked up a few samples.

Was able to get Bob Layton to sign some of my Valiant books and an IM item as well. Picked up an OA from Richard Friend and got him and Whilce Portacio to sign the art piece as well. Wish I had more disposable cash to get some Iron Man OA from Bob and some other OA from the alley artists.

Overall a nice small con and hopefully they repeat it and get some other cool artists like Bob, Whilce and the Wildstorm team too in the future!

Hi everyone,

Well, our 1st show (me and Joel) was a great success! :applause: For a small 1st time show we had close to 300 in attendance. I was really amazed to see a line waiting to get in for our show. We had several raffles at 1230, 230, and 430, with prizes from CGC books, Bust, Star Wars items, and our big draw, a copy of Dare Devil #1 sign by Stan Lee. We had a consession stand for Sodas and Snacks. Also the 1st 100 guests recieved grab bags that had about 12 comics per bag. Consisting of copies of "Ulitmate X-men #1, Ultimate Spider-man #1, Hulk and Iron Man #1, Star Wars Tales, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Batman, and Several other titles. To my amazement Bob Layton show'd up at 9am (show started at 10am) and stayed the whole show till 430. He was really busy signing autographs and doing several commissions. All the WildStorm guys did a Jam piece for Chandler which is really amazing.

Well, my thoughts on doing a show. It's hard work !. I never realized how much detail and planning goes into something like this. It was a continuing learning process from the initial beginnings to the very end. I was constantly worried about every aspect, did I advertise enough, am I going to have a good attendance, will my dealers be happy and successful, did I choose the right location. All these thoughts kept racking my head. But in the end, everything turn out alright. I talk to alot of people about what they like about the show and what they didn't. In the end the main question from Attendees and Dealers was. "When's the next show?" :sumo::o:grin:

I want to thank everyone who attended, and a big thanks to all the Dealers who set up. With out you guys this show would not be possible. So the only thing to say is look out for us next year. (thumbs u

Rey Reyes

Pics to follow...........

Like Rey said, I have to give a really big THANK YOU to all the dealers, artists, and volunteers that helped make our 1st show a success! I didn't even realize at first that, except for Terry's Comics and Steve Wyatt, the dealers in the room were all from the San Diego area, making it a real old-school local show, which is kinda cool. I was pleased to not only see a line in the morning, but the continual stream of people for the first few hours. Of course, Bob Layton was a true professional who kept fans entertained all day, while the Wildstorm crew showed up in force to represent, and show off their art skills, they did indeed. :) Whilce Portacio brought the family and had a great afternoon with the crowd, and local favorites like David Miller created some sweet pieces of art for people's collections. I definitely had fun with the loudspeaker doing the raffle announcements, and given the morning I had with the exploding Diet Coke (use your imagination; don't worry, no comics were harmed), I needed a fun afternoon. :)

For me, the star of the show has to be Rey Reyes. I also did not know what to expect, but with Rey's encouragement, dedication, and enthusiasm, we worked out as much as we could in advance and both hoped and prayed for a good turnout, which we got. There was always something to do, another comic shop to approach, another advertising avenue to pursue, dealing with vendors who changed their mind, floor plans, etc. We pushed ahead, shared ideas, and were pleasantly surprised with some of the success we had before the show even happened. Truly, both our goals for this show were simple: Make sure everyone has a good time.

I think we accomplished that, so now Rey and I are talking about the next year... and beyond! :) I'll be posting pics here and on Facebook soon as well. If anyone else has pics, please share with the class! :)

Joel

OK...I've been wanting to get to this but have been busy...brief report..

I had some time so I popped into this little one-day Con for a couple of hours...I basically went to say hi to John/SOT and Dave/oakman29 and support Rey's effort...didn't really expect to find much to purchase but I did buy a 4.5-ish TOS 13...

Brought a box of books to show off and some to possibly sell/trade but didn't manage to sell or trade for anything...

Here's some pics...

Rey's booth as you just walk in...

DSC04217.jpg

John and his friend Mark at Rey's booth...Mark had a nice FF 50 9.0 to show off and was super-stoked he had just worked a deal with Bob Storms for a FF 5 CGC 8.0 but he didn't have that with him...

DSC04218.jpg

Random wall books...

DSC04219.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

Artist Joel Gomez...he was very nice and friendly...chatted with him for a minute...the art piece was being contributed to by 3 artsts...

DSC04222.jpg

DSC04228.jpg

More books...

DSC04223.jpg

Terry and Terry's comics in the corner...

DSC04224.jpg

DSC04225.jpg

DSC04229.jpg

DSC04230.jpg

DSC04231.jpg

Here's Rey manning his booth...

DSC04226.jpg

Here's a shot with John and I...

DSC04227.jpg

Room shots,,,

DSC04232.jpg

DSC04233.jpg

I forget who this artist is...he was starting a Spidey head-shot artwork on an ASM 36 V2 for Rey...

DSC04234.jpg

I basically spent most of the time shooting the mess with John and talking comics...showed John and Mark and a few others some of my books...there was this one guy Jeff who looked at all my raw books for sale and was interested in a few but we couldn't come to terms on anything...

I showed him my ASM 14 9.0 White-pager and I mentioned that the book was currently going in the $3K range...he started arguing with me that it was a $1200-$1800 book...I told him to go round up all the ASM 14 9.0 slabs he could find and I'd go $1800 a pop...he kept on that the book wasn't a $3K book...I had John look up GPA on his phone...last sale $3300...12 month avg $2850...something like that...he insisted he sold his OW-page copy earlier that year for around $1200 as he wanted to upgrade... :screwy:

I brought my Heritage catalogue and we cruised through that and talked about some of the books...especially the TEC 27 7.0 blue...

So a little later I had the book out and Mark and I were looking at the ASM 14 and Jeff was looking over our shoulder and he says "oh snap...I was thinking of the SECOND Gobby...the ASM 17 in 9.0... :o

I mean who gets #14 and #17 mixed up after you've been talking about it for 5 minutes...I thought that was pretty funny... lol

Nice little one-day local Con...good luck with the next one as well Rey and Joel! :headbang:

So, here are some random pics (thumbs u

Setting up.....

socalcomiccon.jpg

socalcomiccon37.jpg

My wife and her friend at the ticket booth

socalcomiccon7.jpg

socalcomiccon14.jpg

Wife showing her Wolverine impression lol

socalcomiccon3.jpg

Random shots around the various booths

socalcomiccon16.jpg

socalcomiccon17.jpg

socalcomiccon12.jpg

socalcomiccon8.jpg

socalcomiccon4.jpg

socalcomiccon5.jpg

socalcomiccon29.jpg

socalcomiccon28.jpg

socalcomiccon25.jpg

Bob Layton hard at work

socalcomiccon27.jpg

Some Drawing by Bob Layton

socalcomiccon22.jpg

socalcomiccon26.jpg

socalcomiccon34.jpg

WildStorm Guys all busy

socalcomiccon23.jpg

socalcomiccon19.jpg

socalcomiccon35.jpg

Jam piece from WildStorm Artist

socalcomiccon18.jpg

Even Spidey show up!

socalcomiccon9.jpg

Raffle Prize table

socalcomiccon38.jpg

And the Lucky winner of the DareDevil #1 sign by Stan Lee is.............. Terry, from Terry's comics.

socalcomiccon2.jpg

If you liked the So CalComicCon, than check out the original CalComicCon in Southern California. The fifth California Comic Convention this winter on January 30th, 2011. The show will be held in Orange County in Yorba Linda, held just miles from Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Angel Stadium, Arrowhead Pond, Newport Beach, and Laguna Beach.

This year the California Comic Convention will continue to place emphasis on vintage comic books. Dealers from all over the country will be at the show. Featured guests will be anounced. The show will be held from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM; tickets are only $10 and parking is free. For more info goto: CalComicCon

CalComicCon_poster_2011.jpg