• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Dirty Little Secret

47 posts in this topic

Is the dirty little secret of collecting comics is that there is just way too many copies of mid and lower grade NON-KEY late-silver and bronze age books available in the current marketplace to warrant the listed guide value from the Overstreet Price Guide? I suggest to you that it is, that there are just far too many mid and low grade copies in existence of most (but not all) mainstream Marvel, DC, and Gold Key comics, and therefore supply far out numbers the demand. Books like Kamandi, Superboy, Eternals, Two-Gun Kid, Green Lantern, Captain America, Captain Savage, Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, WDC&S, Tarzan, Looney Tunes, assorted low demand TV comics and many others cannot reach their listed guide price, and that most $15 priced books and under are even a tough sell at 50% off. I can see many of these raw books priced at $2 or less on eBay, and I would venture to guess that many are not even selling at that, 1/4 of their guide value. What does it take to sell these books (& others)? List them for $0.50 or $0.99 cents, and pray someone buys it for that? I have found that hey are difficult to move at any price on eBay.

Has anyone ever made a thread here in these forums of THE COMICS in their possession which they hate, and wish they could NEVER see again? That would be funny. If anyone is interested, then feel free to use this thread for the low grade or (any grade) book you wish you NEVER had acquired, EVEN if it was FREE as a gift!!! Let me begin then with this scrumptious offering, a Kamandi #2 in 1.8, Please enjoy, and hope it brings bad luck to all who look at it! :tonofbricks:

102560.jpg.c3ada48f4d6b65ed3b77157a3197cead.jpg

I just bought the run of Black Kiss as it was too taboo for me to buy in 1988-9, although I think I could have legally bought issue 5 up. In my mind this book was going to be shocking, sexy and awesome.

It was dumb, lame and pretty gross. Plus the "big secrets" :sick: were obvious from the 1st two issues.

Ultimate comics letdown.

I bought two short boxes of 90's drek to get the Showcase #27 tucked in there. I may never unload these comics. I gave a local childrens organization everything I thought was kid friendly leaving me with a leifield legacy.

Please save my soul Lord for I have eyeballed comic books which take up much space, and bring me bad luck. Superboy and his brethren or comic book peers in boxes, are like boomerangs which never go away, and which pollute my home and had cost me money. Nobody on eBay will take then off me, no one will free me of this curse, even at a mere fraction, wisp and token of Guide, and even if I sweeten the deal by bulking them into a juicy lot with some other precious treasures such as Tarzans, Conans, Daffy Ducks and Fightin' Army, plus Free Shipping, a tip of my hat, a Webkin, and some Dunkin' Donuts and McDonalds coupons.

102561.jpg.bbf95ad0fee90020e829dbce9cfc79db.jpg

I just bought the run of Black Kiss as it was too taboo for me to buy in 1988-9, although I think I could have legally bought issue 5 up. In my mind this book was going to be shocking, sexy and awesome.

It was dumb, lame and pretty gross. Plus the "big secrets" :sick: were obvious from the 1st two issues.

Ultimate comics letdown.

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one lol

Yes, a lot of it is overpriced in the guide, although if your using Ebay to judge it, you may be overstating the issue.

Almost all of the books on Ebay are overgraded, so most bidders for this material generally assume a book listed as Fine is really VG for example. A "Fine" book on Ebay selling for $5 is really usually a VG book selling for $5.

The other big issue with Ebay is shipping costs. These books can be very hard to buy in a quantity that makes the shipping costs reasonable.

Much of this material will sell briskly at 1/3-1/2 guide when properly graded and in a venue that allows purchasers to get a fair number of books to reduce the shipping costs.

Take catrick's $5 thread currently in the GA/SA/BA sales forum. That is selling pretty briskly because he's priced the material around that 1/3 of guide level.

Is the dirty little secret of collecting comics is that there is just way too many copies of mid and lower grade NON-KEY late-silver and bronze age books available in the current marketplace to warrant the listed guide value from the Overstreet Price Guide? I suggest to you that it is, that there are just far too many mid and low grade copies in existence of most (but not all) mainstream Marvel, DC, and Gold Key comics, and therefore supply far out numbers the demand. Books like Kamandi, Superboy, Eternals, Two-Gun Kid, Green Lantern, Captain America, Captain Savage, Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, WDC&S, Tarzan, Looney Tunes, assorted low demand TV comics and many others cannot reach their listed guide price, and that most $15 priced books and under are even a tough sell at 50% off. I can see many of these raw books priced at $2 or less on eBay, and I would venture to guess that many are not even selling at that, 1/4 of their guide value. What does it take to sell these books (& others)? List them for $0.50 or $0.99 cents, and pray someone buys it for that? I have found that hey are difficult to move at any price on eBay.

I bought two short boxes of 90's drek to get the Showcase #27 tucked in there. I may never unload these comics. I gave a local childrens organization everything I thought was kid friendly leaving me with a leifield legacy.

Liefelds are great for starting fires... nice pig roast, some cold beer... make a day of it!

I just bought the run of Black Kiss...It was dumb, lame and pretty gross...Ultimate comics letdown.

You are pardoned for the err of your ways. Donate them now to The National Recycling Trust, or they will forever lurk in your midst.

Pastor Pete Paperbook Of The Pedigree-Poo Prelacy Police

I just bought the run of Black Kiss...It was dumb, lame and pretty gross...Ultimate comics letdown.

You are pardoned for the err of your ways. Donate them now to The National Recycling Trust, or they will forever lurk in your midst.

Pastor Pete Paperbook Of The Pedigree-Poo Prelacy Police

If I donate those books, i may get arrested.

Leifeld's are demonic, because they won't even burn. They need to be exorcised of any trace of of Rob Liefeld, and only then can they be permanently combusted.

Comic Book Cleric, Father Frito Picto-Fiction