• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Dirty Little Secret

47 posts in this topic

Yes, a lot of it is overpriced in the guide, although if your using Ebay to judge it, you may be overstating the issue.

Almost all of the books on Ebay are overgraded, so most bidders for this material generally assume a book listed as Fine is really VG for example. A "Fine" book on Ebay selling for $5 is really usually a VG book selling for $5.

The other big issue with Ebay is shipping costs. These books can be very hard to buy in a quantity that makes the shipping costs reasonable.

Much of this material will sell briskly at 1/3-1/2 guide when properly graded and in a venue that allows purchasers to get a fair number of books to reduce the shipping costs.

Take catrick's $5 thread currently in the GA/SA/BA sales forum. That is selling pretty briskly because he's priced the material around that 1/3 of guide level.

Is the dirty little secret of collecting comics is that there is just way too many copies of mid and lower grade NON-KEY late-silver and bronze age books available in the current marketplace to warrant the listed guide value from the Overstreet Price Guide? I suggest to you that it is, that there are just far too many mid and low grade copies in existence of most (but not all) mainstream Marvel, DC, and Gold Key comics, and therefore supply far out numbers the demand. Books like Kamandi, Superboy, Eternals, Two-Gun Kid, Green Lantern, Captain America, Captain Savage, Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, WDC&S, Tarzan, Looney Tunes, assorted low demand TV comics and many others cannot reach their listed guide price, and that most $15 priced books and under are even a tough sell at 50% off. I can see many of these raw books priced at $2 or less on eBay, and I would venture to guess that many are not even selling at that, 1/4 of their guide value. What does it take to sell these books (& others)? List them for $0.50 or $0.99 cents, and pray someone buys it for that? I have found that hey are difficult to move at any price on eBay.

(thumbs u

I just bought the run of Black Kiss...It was dumb, lame and pretty gross...Ultimate comics letdown.

You are pardoned for the err of your ways. Donate them now to The National Recycling Trust, or they will forever lurk in your midst.

Pastor Pete Paperbook Of The Pedigree-Poo Prelacy Police

If I donate those books, i may get arrested.

:roflmao: I had the same dilemma about 2 weeks ago...

450352-faust_01_00_large.jpg

Don't know that it's much a secret, but it is true that there are a lot books that you can't even give away. But as far as Adam covers, such as the Superboy pictured above, I'd be glad to take them all off your hands. :wishluck:

Yes, a lot of it is overpriced in the guide, although if your using Ebay to judge it, you may be overstating the issue.

Almost all of the books on Ebay are overgraded, so most bidders for this material generally assume a book listed as Fine is really VG for example. A "Fine" book on Ebay selling for $5 is really usually a VG book selling for $5.

The other big issue with Ebay is shipping costs. These books can be very hard to buy in a quantity that makes the shipping costs reasonable.

Much of this material will sell briskly at 1/3-1/2 guide when properly graded and in a venue that allows purchasers to get a fair number of books to reduce the shipping costs.

Take catrick's $5 thread currently in the GA/SA/BA sales forum. That is selling pretty briskly because he's priced the material around that 1/3 of guide level.

Is the dirty little secret of collecting comics is that there is just way too many copies of mid and lower grade NON-KEY late-silver and bronze age books available in the current marketplace to warrant the listed guide value from the Overstreet Price Guide? I suggest to you that it is, that there are just far too many mid and low grade copies in existence of most (but not all) mainstream Marvel, DC, and Gold Key comics, and therefore supply far out numbers the demand. Books like Kamandi, Superboy, Eternals, Two-Gun Kid, Green Lantern, Captain America, Captain Savage, Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, WDC&S, Tarzan, Looney Tunes, assorted low demand TV comics and many others cannot reach their listed guide price, and that most $15 priced books and under are even a tough sell at 50% off. I can see many of these raw books priced at $2 or less on eBay, and I would venture to guess that many are not even selling at that, 1/4 of their guide value. What does it take to sell these books (& others)? List them for $0.50 or $0.99 cents, and pray someone buys it for that? I have found that hey are difficult to move at any price on eBay.

(thumbs u

it is a bit of monumental chutzpah to be upset or surprised that you, joe blow, cannot get full guide on ebay for these books. full guide is the top of the retail spectrum for this sort of thing, for book held in hand or book from mail order dealer who inspires high levels of confidence. it's like buying things not on sale at Saks Fifth Avenue. a couple of people do it, but most wait for a sale, use a coupon or wait until it goes to Filene's Basement or Century 21 close out stores. why should you, with your fuzzy scan, uncertain grading and $3-$6 shipping be able to realize full guide on this stuff?

For what it's worth, old Green Lanterns, Iron Mans, Avengers and Thors, even in mid-grade sell. So does WCDS, various TV comics, and heck, even the occasional superboy. Guide? No, not when you're slapping $3-$5 shipping and uncertain grading into the equation! In fact, I have sold MANY mid-grade BA and late SA avengers (as well as some of the others) on ebay and when you add the price paid plus shipping, the buyer has actually paid over guide. Sure, we might be talking about a book that guides for $9 and it only sells for $4 or $5, but someone is paying this money. I actually feel bad about that and tend to throw in some extra free comics.

I have little doubt my main LCS would blow out a huge chunk of their dust-collecting BA and SA books if they had a month-long half-price sale (and let their customers know). true, they have a solid customer base (and some bottom feeders like me) with some money.

Guide? No, not when you're slapping $3-$5 shipping and uncertain grading into the equation! In fact, I have sold MANY mid-grade BA and late SA avengers (as well as some of the others) on ebay and when you add the price paid plus shipping, the buyer has actually paid over guide. Sure, we might be talking about a book that guides for $9 and it only sells for $4 or $5, but someone is paying this money.

If you are buying a $5 comic off ebay, and you add in postage, and it ends up costing you $9, and it guides at the stated grade (Forgetting about 'ebay' grading for now. You look at the scan in the auction and agree with the sellers grade, that's it.) for $9, did you just pay guide for that comic?

Guide? No, not when you're slapping $3-$5 shipping and uncertain grading into the equation! In fact, I have sold MANY mid-grade BA and late SA avengers (as well as some of the others) on ebay and when you add the price paid plus shipping, the buyer has actually paid over guide. Sure, we might be talking about a book that guides for $9 and it only sells for $4 or $5, but someone is paying this money.

If you are buying a $5 off ebay, and you add in postage, and it ends up costing you $9, and it guides at the stated grade (Forgetting about 'ebay' grading for now. You look at the scan in the auction and agree with the sellers grade, that's it.) for $9, did you just pay guide for that comic?

Yes, you did, at least that's how I figure my buying.

If you are buying a $5 comic off ebay, and you add in postage, and it ends up costing you $9, and it guides at the stated grade (Forgetting about 'ebay' grading for now. You look at the scan in the auction and agree with the sellers grade, that's it.) for $9, did you just pay guide for that comic?

if it guides for $9 and you paid $9 (including shipping), you just paid guide (thumbs u

For the record...anyone that has any comics of any kind that they just want to get rid of, send them to me. I'll gladly take them all.

Now no one can say there's "no demand for Comic X"

I was first. :gossip: But it ain't gonna happen. Just a lot of complaining. Nobody's hurting too terribly or the mailman would have been to see me a long time ago.

Look at it this way, when you buy a dvd or book at the store you buy them to watch or read and don`t expect to go sell that book or dvd back on Ebay a few months later for a profit, why should modern comics be any different from any other modern media? Buy your comic and read it, if its worth anything done the line then fine you got an extra bonus but to think buying the latest issues of Blackest Night and it`s modern contempories will someday pay for your childrens college fund is :screwy:

;)

Look at it this way, when you buy a dvd or book at the store you buy them to watch or read and don`t expect to go sell that book or dvd back on Ebay a few months later for a profit, why should modern comics be any different from any other modern media? Buy your comic and read it, if its worth anything done the line then fine you got an extra bonus but to think buying the latest issues of Blackest Night and it`s modern contempories will someday pay for your childrens college fund is :screwy:

;)

And that no doubt applies directly to the current discussion of mid-grade bronze books?

Go shill somewhere else. Shill.

For the record...anyone that has any comics of any kind that they just want to get rid of, send them to me. I'll gladly take them all.

Now no one can say there's "no demand for Comic X"

Just what are you willing offer for Leifield's?