• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoring Pages Quality

16 posts in this topic

yup and unless you store your books in a hot and humid place, they will outlast you and your kids.

I have plenty of 35 plus years old books that are here with beautiful white pages that look as if they were bought off the newsstand last week.

Aside from micropaper, I am safe to assume that there is no way to restore or slow page degradation.
You can have the pages deacidified.

There are several threads on this already.

You can deacidify pages by spraying them with various products..but there are pitfalls to using too much of these.

You can also de acidify pages through various forms of washing..but this would obviously be part of a conservation/restoration process.

You can also acidify pages through various forms of washing..but this would obviously be part of a conservation/restoration process.

Kenster - I think you may mean "de-acidify pages" here?

doh!:)

I think you are 100% correct.

Aside from micropaper, I am safe to assume that there is no way to restore or slow page degradation.

Well boggle, you are actually asking two very very different questions:

1) restore page degradation

2) slow page degradation

As far as "restore page degradation" you should consult a reputable restorer. Trying to actually restore degraded pages is work for real experts.

As far as "slow page degradation", there ARE things the collector can do.

1) Use Mylar or Mylite 2 (love the Myltite 2) and a BUFFERED backing board. A buffered backing board has a usually 3% calcium carbonate (alkaline) buffer impregnated in the backing board. This will help neutralize acids.

2) Maintain a consistent cool temperature and a consistent relatively low humidity.

Two things that can really impact paper and acidity are great fluctuations in temperature and humidity and airborne acids and particles..

Maintaining as consistent as possible cool, low humidity environment will help prevent the temp/humidity fluctuations from impacting the paper.

Using a Mylar/Mylite and buffered backing board (like a Half-Back or Full-Back) will help protect from airborne acids and particles.

I've used this on a handful of books and I know other boardies have as well.

It's a very fine mist you lightly breeze over the pages. It instantly dries... it's never like the paper is wet. You don't use it on the cover... just the inside pages.

The key is using it while the book still has good paper quality to keep it that way. It's for conservation, not restoration. It won't help badly deteriorated pages other than perhaps stabilize them.

It is not cheap, but each bottle will treat 2 - 3 books. From what I've read in conservator message boards, etc, it is a good product and I've never seen any negative comments regarding it.

Michaels Craft Store carries this for around $30. Michael's often has 50% off coupons in the Sunday paper ads. :gossip: