• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do people have any limits?

89 posts in this topic

We all know Cal has no limits, 800 copies of Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1. 27_laughing.gif

for some reason the sheer volume of 800 comics of the same issue didn't hit me until just now. nicely bagged and boarded, they'd fill about 7 standard comic boxes with the same frickin' book shocked.gif

not saying that this won't prove to be an astute move when the long awaited Subby vs Ironman movie comes out devil.gif

and, i have my obligatory copy, of course................

Last count: 717.

Am going to list a few CGC ones, probably one in March and April.

But let them laugh at me. I like collecting that Issue and I am going to like marketing and selling some, not all of them when the time comes. I have sold some and made a little on each one, so this method of collecting has served it's purpose.

I will keep a few of the real high grades, I just cannot part with them.

CAL hi.gif

I personally think that you are putting too much emphasis with the CGC comic market. While your "venting" is completely understandable, it also shows some "fear" that you may have regarding the CGC comic market.

fear that you might have missed out during the "more reasonable market conditions".

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You missed that period by about 7-8 years.

My personal fear is that after blowing Junior's education fund on over-valued, speculative funny books, those same kids will be breaking into my house in 15 years, holding me at gunpoint.

Other than that, let the blow their money, hoping for ever-higher prices. The smart money is either selling to these psychos or waiting on the sidelines for the inevitable correction.

What a frustrating time this is for those of us who aren't willing to burn money. Can someone shed some insight as to why everyone suddenly has the ballz to throw around this kind of cash?

Joe_Collector Your post has no merit in answering CT's Thread here.

You missed that period by about 7-8 years

That line has been repeated in Real Estate and stocks. An absurd statement.

My personal fear is that after blowing Junior's education fund on over-valued, speculative funny books, those same kids will be breaking into my house in 15 years, holding me at gunpoint

I don't see too many trust-fund kids committing the crimes. They certainly would not be coming after YOU if the trust-fund kids were going to B&E someone's house at gunpoint.

Other than that, let the blow their money, hoping for ever-higher prices

What in the hades do you care enough to make this comment?

The smart money is either selling to these psychos or waiting on the sidelines for the inevitable correction.

I am still waiting for this "correction" you naysayers keep talking about. "Smart money"??? You know what that is and how to use it? If so, how did you get it? Not by that nasty gun you talked about, I hope???

CAL

And 121 and 123 bought by some nut who paid $700 for the pair.

These were 2 of the books I was refering too. I had a $270 snipe set up for the 123, which was $20 more than the last 9.6 sold for, and I thought that was sufficient. I was wrong.

Cal:

First off, thanks for the positive comments.

While your "venting" is completely understandable, it also shows some "fear" that you may have regarding the CGC comic market. The fear that you might have missed out during the "more reasonable market conditions".

I have to disagree. "Fear" is not an issue with me, it's just simple annoyance. I do not have, nor will I ever have so much invested (emotionally or financially) into comics that I'm ever going to be genuinely affraid of developing trends. I'm self-employed, and have enough money-management concerns to deal with on a daily basis, so I would not compound this problem by foolishly "investing" in a hobby that I feel is at the most unstable point in its history.

Besides the points I mentioned in the first post, my aggrivation also stems from the fact that the current market has taken away the "fun" of collecting for me. Why? Because my business sense will not allow me to jump onto this bandwagon of "panic buying" as Clobberintime put it. As a result, I've bought very little in the way of high grade CGC since mid-2003 because I refuse to get caught up in the hype. It gets annoying to continually pass up books I want, but I will continue to do it because I do believe this is unsustainable.

I do believe that prices will drop. And when they do, I will be there with my checkbook open. If I really had the "fear" that I missed my opportunity to collect how I want to collect, I would just leave the hobby, or collect readers and forget about the high end market entirely.

Frankly I can't figure out this "auction fever"- the underbidder is a dealer, so he'd have to sell it at a profit, having paid top market for it.

You'd think so, but it's amazing the size of the collector population that still doesn't seem to buy online, or misses an auction for one reason or another. Witness Mark Wilson's purchase of Marvel Myster 9 at the Heritage Feb Signature auction, and recent flip for a $15k profit. Logically, if he was the high bidder then by definition there should've been no one willing to pay a higher price, but there obviously was. Comic collecting, as with many other industries, is all about exploiting discrepancies in information.

So if I buy a book for a premium because I need it, it's because of movie hype? Sorry no. All it takes are two ASM completionists going after the same HTF book. Your statement is too much of a blanket comment.

Brian

Captains of Industry

I hope you can achieve what it is you are attempting to do in this wonderful comics hobby. I should have put that sentence in the above posts but did not. Take care and hope to see more of you here.

CAL hi.gif

Yeah...he's been back for about a week. frown.gif

It's kind of like that Candyman movie, except all speculator Cal needed to do was blatantly insult me three times in a row.

I guess he thought twelve times in a row was guaranteed to bring me back. 27_laughing.gif

Yeah...he's been back for about a week. frown.gif

CAL

No, I meant the real JC, not the be-kind-to-little-old-ladies-all-round-nice-guy who hijacked his account recently.

And 121 and 123 bought by some nut who paid $700 for the pair.

These were 2 of the books I was refering too. I had a $270 snipe set up for the 123, which was $20 more than the last 9.6 sold for, and I thought that was sufficient. I was wrong.

I thought that guy was nuts too. You would have beaten my snipe of $250! smile.gif

It's kind of like that Candyman movie, except all speculator Cal needed to do was blatantly insult me three times in a row.

Now now now - who insulted who FIRST??? Dish it out, ya gotta be able to take it. If you conveniently forgot who insulted who first, indicate so and I will ressurect the insults on a different Thread. 893naughty-thumb.gif

The Man's Man - no glass house dwellers who throw rocks need apply

CAL

I will ressurect the insults on a different Thread.

Please do so, as you were firing off constantly in a thread that I wasn't even part of. Good work person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. makepoint.gif

I think ventinjg about prices paid for high grade books is about as pointless wondering what we'll do about it if there really is water on Mars. I was just starting to sell a few of my Spidey dupes recently, based on GPA analysis numbers. It didn't take me long to figure out that my numbers were way behind the market. A few guys got some really good deals from me.

When I first bought began accumulating this surplus it was about late 1999 early 2000, a few months before the movie. I got back a few just in time for the movie. The vast plurality of my books remained in CGC months behind schedule. I watched in dismay as the movie came and went and my comics were still not back. Prices seemed to plunge.

In retrospect my primary feeling was jealousy for those that happened to be lucky enough to have had books slabbed well before the peak prices.

Whether the movie was the catalyst is not important. My opinion is that most people are just plain "jealous" that either they don't have books to sell into the market or that they didn't buy them for their own collection when it was cheaper.

Willaim O'Neil publisher of Investors Business Daily has made a classic comment, regarding stocks, that is oft repeated: Markets are never wrong, investors opinions are often wrong. It does not pay to argue with the market. Arguing with the market can be a costly habit." ( Or something pretty close to that)

The comic book market is no different.You vcan argue with it all day long. I put a bid in on the 63 9.4 as well. I was so far away that my snipe didn't even register. It's not like there were 3 bids and two heavies were going at it. When you figure how many folks like me didn't even get their bids in, that should give you some idea as to the demand out there at this point. I have repeatedly stated that comic book pricing , especially at these levels, is going to be directly tied to stock marjet performance.

The good news for me is that I now have invemtory which I am slowly bleeding into the market via eBay. I have two copies of 63 in CGG 9.2. I only hope people lose their minds with mine like they did with the 9.4. Even 9.2's are tough to come by in 63.

You did not answer the Question Mr. Joe_Collector. The Q one more time( try reading real, real slow, one word at a time)

Now now now - who insulted who FIRST???

Being as you want to keep playing your "games", see that ugly "Rant " thread. Do I need to bring that up??? Who struck first and often??? People don't forget. Don't insult me or others further by your "other Thread bull". And don't drag others in this, you started this, but apparently cannot take the heat. For shame! 893naughty-thumb.gif