• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid-Ohio-Con - November 6-7, 2010 - Columbus, OH

103 posts in this topic

More and more, the guests at Wizard shows seem to be pretty cookie-cutter (the cast of the Batman series, Lou Ferrigno, wrestlers, etc). They offer very similar guests from show to show with a little variety sprinkled in. In the last few years, it seems that comic guests have been an afterthought at many of them.

To acquire a show like Mid-Ohio means that we'll likely see fewer comic guests, fewer dealers, and higher ticket prices (as can be seen already on the site). Dealers and local artists say that Wizard shows are more costly to set up at, meaning we won't get the variety that for years has been synonymous with Mid-Ohio and a few other shows. Mid-Ohio was pretty close to my favorite show. Now it's unlikely that I'll make the trip next year.

Of course, this is just from a fan perspective. Maybe someone a little more well-versed could explain the ethical issues surrounding Wizard shows.

I was speaking to a couple of dealers at Mid Ohio, and they both said that Wizard were doubling the booth prices for next year - which meant that the setup cost was going to be close to what it is at the Chicago Comic Con. Insanity.

I agree with all the anti-Wizard points outlined above. I am not personally into the Hollywood guest types either at my comic book shows. Pricing out the smaller dealers is a bad idea. The one thing I can say about justifying the increased booth cost is that the show will probably see twice as many fans go through the turnstiles due to Wizard's promotion style. How many of them will be vintage comic buyers remains to be seen.

More and more, the guests at Wizard shows seem to be pretty cookie-cutter (the cast of the Batman series, Lou Ferrigno, wrestlers, etc). They offer very similar guests from show to show with a little variety sprinkled in. In the last few years, it seems that comic guests have been an afterthought at many of them.

To acquire a show like Mid-Ohio means that we'll likely see fewer comic guests, fewer dealers, and higher ticket prices (as can be seen already on the site). Dealers and local artists say that Wizard shows are more costly to set up at, meaning we won't get the variety that for years has been synonymous with Mid-Ohio and a few other shows. Mid-Ohio was pretty close to my favorite show. Now it's unlikely that I'll make the trip next year.

Of course, this is just from a fan perspective. Maybe someone a little more well-versed could explain the ethical issues surrounding Wizard shows.

I was speaking to a couple of dealers at Mid Ohio, and they both said that Wizard were doubling the booth prices for next year - which meant that the setup cost was going to be close to what it is at the Chicago Comic Con. Insanity.

I agree with all the anti-Wizard points outlined above. I am not personally into the Hollywood guest types either at my comic book shows. Pricing out the smaller dealers is a bad idea. The one thing I can say about justifying the increased booth cost is that the show will probably see twice as many fans go through the turnstiles due to Wizard's promotion style. How many of them will be vintage comic buyers remains to be seen.

Even the Hollywood guest are garbage. It's all B-movie and TV has-been's from 20 to 40 years ago. As-far-as more fans going through the turnstiles, that remains to be seen. As of right now, the attendance seems to be pretty low for all the Wizard shows. See the WW Austin thread.