• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.5.. My eyes saw it right..

32 posts in this topic

This does hammer home how important it is to keep the noobs informed about the history of this hobby, certainly post CGC.

There's a whole ton of sometimes quite ubelievable sh!te that went on during the last ten years that bears remembering.

Which we could do if half the threads weren't now deleted.

Touche! :golfclap:

Actually, I wonder... hm

I don't think anything about my post was changed. However, deleted threads is one of my (many) hobby horses.

I think maybe cgcmod4 might have a sense of humour? (shrug)

Isn't it rather unusual for a post to be marked as edited by a mod? I thought that posts that aren't mod approved are usually just deleted. (shrug)

Yeah, which adds fuel to my theory that our friend is engaging in a bit of japery.

If so... :applause:

CGC 9.5

First time I'm seeing a CGC 9.5 grade. Enlightenment, anyone?

Your eyes saw it right. A few years back CGC and Wizard had a deal for a special grading arrangement and this was a part of it.

IIRC, there were only 3 grades to be given out, 9.0, 9.5, and 10.0?

And the funniest thing was that it was announced on April Fool's Day. Nobody believed it at first.

Nik did you notice at the end of your post:

Edited by cgcmod4 (Today at 02:34 PM)

They are on to you man. :baiting:

Unfortunately, I can't remember precisely what I wrote, but it doesn't seem to be any different? :insane:

Probably corrected your spelling :baiting:

Maybe they are finally banning ""? hm

Rather weirdly, I managed to avoid using that in this post. :insane:

I don't think they edited anything Nicky boy, but rather backspaced one of your letters and re inputted the same as a joke given the content of your post my friend. lol

Rich

So the 9.5 grade is a commercial arrangement between Wizard and CGC and might not be representative of the comic's true grade? Rather, it's used as a source of commercial revenue?
Looks like it.

Real stupid idea if you ask me.

So the 9.5 grade is a commercial arrangement between Wizard and CGC and might not be representative of the comic's true grade? Rather, it's used as a source of commercial revenue?

Let's not get carried away here.

The 9.5 grade was a Wizard/CGC "experiment" that, due to the overwhelming negative reaction from the public when it was announced (read: peoples' intense dislike of Wizard), was very quickly shelved.

It was supposed to be considered a real grade - between NM (9.4) and NM+ (9.6) - and as such you should expect a 9.5 book that's resubmitted to come back around that grade range.

The 9.5 grade was a Wizard/CGC "experiment" that, due to the overwhelming negative reaction from the public when it was announced (read: peoples' intense dislike of Wizard), was very quickly shelved.

It was supposed to be considered a real grade - between NM (9.4) and NM+ (9.6) - and as such you should expect a 9.5 book that's resubmitted to come back around that grade range.

I see. Thanks for the input! :)

I see. Thanks for the input! :)

I've seen several 9.5s that could easily grade out 9.8, so take that for whatever it's worth.

Can't remember if this was ever verified: Wasn't Wizard also getting pizzed that they weren't receiving more 10.0s so they scaled back submissions?

Can't remember if this was ever verified: Wasn't Wizard also getting pizzed that they weren't receiving more 10.0s so they scaled back submissions?

That's essentially why it failed, as Wizard was getting inundated with 10.0 orders, but couldn't get enough 10.0 supply from CGC to fill them and actually make this a profitable business model. Getting rid of the 9.6/9.8/9.9 range meant that those were all 9.5's, which was a terrible business decision.

The failure of this program had absolutely nothing to do with the "intense hate of Wizard" and everything to do with basic economics.