• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt Fury #1 war or super-hero comic?

122 posts in this topic

Well the copy ended up at $1314 a new GPA record, it seems this book is definately on the move upwards (movie fever is probably starting to set it). My hopes of upgrading my 7.0 copy wont be happening anytime soon then. :sorry:

Getting back to the OP, I’d say it’s a superhero book in the guise of a war book. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stan or Martin felt the line needed at least a token war book, but decided to approach it in the same way as their burgeoning superhero comics. Check out the following house ad from the Strange Tales Annual 2. Sgt. Fury isn’t really being marketed as a war book here, and the series had just begun:

STAnn2FuryHouseAd.jpg

Getting back to the OP, I’d say it’s a superhero book in the guise of a war book. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stan or Martin felt the line needed at least a token war book, but decided to approach it in the same way as their burgeoning superhero comics. Check out the following house ad from the Strange Tales Annual 2. Sgt. Fury isn’t really being marketed as a war book here, and the series had just begun:

That's the way I've always viewed Sgt Fury and that's why I believe the book is (in spirit anyway) a superhero book.

STAnn2FuryHouseAd.jpg

IMHO I don't see this as a definitive statement by Marvel. With respect, I think it was just marketing (i.e., Lee, Brodsky, Goodman).

Flip the ad on its head (i.e., imagine it as an ad for the FF with Sgt.F as the reference point), -- are all Marvel superhero books actually war books?

The Fury characters do not have superhuman powers. One might want to argue a superhuman ability to dodge bullets --but this implausibility is not a "power" but a plot convention.

Marvel superheros came out of a "monster" tradition the same way Fury came out of an Atlas war tradition. It was the new Marvel emphasis on the depth of characterization as a function of story telling (including the subsequent creation of a Marvel Universe) that made them fraternal, but not "same-genre", efforts.

Marvel comics didn't all need to be superhero books to be "Marvel". (Even Jack Kirby made guest appearances in Millie the Model, as he did in FF.)

It's both a war book and a superhero book. Superhero book because it's the first appearance of a character who evolved into a superhero, complete with special abilities and special gadgets, fighting in sci-fi/fantasy adventures. (and you migjt also include Dum Dum Dugan).

No other war book has yet spawned a superhero character, which puts SFAHHC in a category by itself as a combo war/superhero book.

It's both a war book and a superhero book. Superhero book because it's the first appearance of a character who evolved into a superhero, complete with special abilities and special gadgets, fighting in sci-fi/fantasy adventures. (and you migjt also include Dum Dum Dugan).

No other war book has yet spawned a superhero character, which puts SFAHHC in a category by itself as a combo war/superhero book.

I can't resist: so Patsy Walker is a superhero/teen book? :baiting:

When defining super heros, we sould not forget to consider that Batman has no "super powers".....unless of course we consider his exposure to Gamma radiation in Batman # 37 ( this really happened).GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

When defining super heros, we sould not forget to consider that Batman has no "super powers".....unless of course we consider his exposure to Gamma radiation in Batman # 37 ( this really happened).GOD BLESS...

hm

Hulk prototype.

Now it's worth $$$.

Hell, yeah.

Well the copy ended up at $1314 a new GPA record, it seems this book is definately on the move upwards (movie fever is probably starting to set it). My hopes of upgrading my 7.0 copy wont be happening anytime soon then. :sorry:

A 7.0 is a pretty high grade for a Sgt Fury #1

Census figures for universal label:

9.4 3

9.2 4

9.0 2

8.5 8

8.0 14

7.5 8

7.0 12

I don't understand how Sgt. Fury can be considered a super hero comic in any way. It's classic war, with virtually no super heroics in its entire run.

:shrug:

It's kinda like saying Trapper John, MD, was a war dramedy, simply because both series starred the character "Trapper" John McIntyre.

Hellcat , yeah.

Fixed that for ya.

9.4 3

9.2 4

9.0 2

8.5 8

8.0 14

7.5 8

7.0 12

Yeah i know that its pretty slim pickings for anything really past a 6.0 on Sgt Fury #1, but i had hoped that a nice 7.5 or a 8.0 would surface that i could pick up fairly cheaply.

And yes i realise that it is still cheap in comparrison to the other keys, i just hoped that i would have found a copy before all the movie hype starts pushing up the prices to more of a par with TTA #27.

9.4 3

9.2 4

9.0 2

8.5 8

8.0 14

7.5 8

7.0 12

Yeah i know that its pretty slim pickings for anything really past a 6.0 on Sgt Fury #1, but i had hoped that a nice 7.5 or a 8.0 would surface that i could pick up fairly cheaply.

And yes i realise that it is still cheap in comparrison to the other keys, i just hoped that i would have found a copy before all the movie hype starts pushing up the prices to more of a par with TTA #27.

Interesting point about pricing relative to TTA #27.

In terms of census comparative:

9.4 2

9.2 1

9.0 3

8.5 7

8.0 10

7.5 10

7.0 11

Pretty similar and Fury must be a more important character than Ant Man.

Can't understand the price differential.

It;s not just about whether a character is a superhero (and I maintain that Fury is, or at least, became one). But it's also about how well known a character is. And Fury is already a much bigger name than many Marvel and DC superheroes whose books command many multiples in sales.

And I say this as a guy who missed a chance to buy one or more UHG Fury 1s from a guy who had access to a bunch of them years ago. (Meant to, and just lost contact).

9.4 3

9.2 4

9.0 2

8.5 8

8.0 14

7.5 8

7.0 12

Interesting point about pricing relative to TTA #27.

In terms of census comparative:

9.4 2

9.2 1

9.0 3

8.5 7

8.0 10

7.5 10

7.0 11

Pretty similar and Fury must be a more important character than Ant Man.

Can't understand the price differential.

Even though Fury is a major Player in the Marvel Universe....too many people consider the title to be "just" a war book. It isn't logical, per se, it just is. It's such a neat book and many consider it undervalued....but after all these years, I have trouble considering anything undervalued. For some reason, certain books didn't have high demand through the years. With SA sales in everything other than investment grade (which is a whole diffeent market) generally soft....undervalued will probably remain that way.....although I'd sure like a nice white paged 6.5 Fury 1. GOD BLESS...